Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

16 Jul 2015


See also: IRC log


Addison, Steve, Richard, Felix, Najib-ma
Leandro, Dennis, JcK
Addison Phillips
Addison Phillips



Action Items

<r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open


<trackbot> action-444 -- Addison Phillips to Write to w3 parties requesting that the publication tool be updated to support note track documents after richard identifiers who to ping -- due 2015-06-04 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/444

richard: just send to echidna list


<trackbot> action-452 -- Addison Phillips to Respond to notifications about .lang and .dir email -- due 2015-07-16 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/452

close action-452

<trackbot> Closed action-452.

addison: did that, topic later

Info Share

richard: if you want to go to TPAC, don't forget to register

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/TPAC2015/

richard: anyone planning to go?

<David> About 70% probability Ill come

richard: combining the chinese and english in clreq
... was so good I am doing it for korean too
... will contact the contributors

RADAR and Active Work Review



richard: new version of initial letter section for indic layout requirements
... will publish to TR on tuesday
... doing under new policy where I don't need permission
... cleaned up markup
... put in new template stuff related to process changes
... comment on dated version
... use github comments
... etc
... need more participate in indic layout task force!!
... make a central section pointing to layout task forces
... info share
... moving ahead with arabic layout requirements
... charter nearly done
... detailed discussion of mongolian
... dpub surfaced recently
... have a list of things that need working on at CSS
... ethiopic still likely to proceed soon too
... vertical text
... FF41 aims to make vertical text
... accessible to the general public
... was just in nightly currently
... continusing dicussion on css list about text-orientation
... one motivation is that people want latin text on side of table or such
... and run up the page
... clarify how that works
... as opposed to/in addition to chinese or mongolian or japanese
... have two new writing mode values
... sideways-right-left and sideways-left-right
... and text-orientation have "sideways" value
... but not the directions right or left
... sideways-rl / sideways-lr would rotate text line by 270 or 90 degres
... vertical-lr /vertical-rl would roate baseline *and* rotate (some) characters to upright

Publication of HTML & CSS Bidi Requirements as WG Note



richard: whew! took a lot of effort
... visited all the links to check them
... pretty much ready
... mati sent some comments
... and implemented some
... and sent him a response
... intent here is to archive as historical

addison: not intended as a living document

richard: just double-checking... no objection to publish?

<fsasaki> no objections

addison: any objections to publishing?
... I don't have any

najib: started to read again
... want to send some comments
... some typos

<Najib-ma> recurrent typo, ยง1.3, LRO is 202D not 202E (RLO)

richard: was corrected

najib: comments by monday or tuesday?

richard: want publish on tuesday
... monday is the lastest

<Najib-ma> Ok

richard: and sooner is better :-)

<Najib-ma> Yep :-)

richard: section 4: don't want to change anything in it
... snapshot as of july of 2014
... so that section very very difficult to fix
... so stop there

<r12a> section 4 is a snapshot as of July 2014 of a separate document, and should therefore not be changed

Publication of Chinese Layout Requirements

<r12a> http://w3c.github.io/clreq/

richard: above link to clreq
... link now contains both chinese and english text
... *so* much easier to maintain
... and translate
... remarkably worth the effort
... notice the buttons in upper right for zh and en
... filters out the other language
... text is in a mix of simplified and traditional
... contributors contribute in their preferred form
... added some text explaining
... appreciate contributions from all
... at some point we may see some additional translation to simplified with button for zh-Hans
... question about how this would "finally" be published

addison: leave it like this, even have buttons

richard: yes, and useful to people too
... ready for publication as FPWD
... group would like to go ahead

addison: (as chair) please indicate your support (+1) or opposition (-1) to publishing a first public working draft of requirements for layout of chinese

<r12a> +1


<fsasaki> +1

<David> +1

<Steve_Atkin> +1

<Najib-ma> +1

addison: so resolved

richard: plan is to publish next week (thursday?)
... will put into typograpy index

Notifications.lang and Notifications.dir


<r12a> https://github.com/whatwg/notifications/issues/46



addison: any comments on thread?


<scribe> ACTION: richard: publish current version of charmod so the github bits and status bits show [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/07/16-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-453 - Publish current version of charmod so the github bits and status bits show [on Richard Ishida - due 2015-07-23].

addison: others can contribute text (I won't stop you)


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: richard: publish current version of charmod so the github bits and status bits show [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/07/16-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015/07/17 16:40:46 $