W3C

Timed Text Working Group Teleconference

15 Jan 2015

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
glenn, nigel, Frans, tmichel, pal, Andreas, jdsmith, Mike
Regrets
Chair
nigel
Scribe
nigel

Contents


<trackbot> Date: 15 January 2015

This meeting

<scribe> scribeNick: nigel

nigel: Add to the agenda: Issue-365, TTML2 FPWD review version

group: No AOB.

TTML2 version for review

nigel: Glenn has prepared a snapshot of TTML2 for review prior to FPWD.

glenn: This is static for the purpose of review. I need to reformat and change the SOTD.
... And I'll review it myself. If there's anything broken, that's discovered in the review, then
... we can go ahead and fix that. Otherwise changes would be strictly editorial.

nigel: The 2 week review period neatly ends on 29th Jan - is that okay with all?

group: No objections.

<glenn> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/ttml/raw-file/tip/ttml2/spec/ttml2-20150114-pre-fpwd-review-1.html

glenn: I took all the open issues and anything that is in a Change Proposal. We didn't have
... an issue for HTML5 mapping, so I added Issue-365 for that. The issues are in yellow issue
... boxes spread throughout the document.
... That covers all of the open issues against TTML2. Then there are editorial notes which
... are actions on me, without specific issues marked against them.

nigel: Thierry also reserved the short name ttml2 for this version, in advance of publication.

tmichel: Do you plan to have a difference section comparing it to TTML1?

glenn: There's another document, that will be referenced from the SOTD, describing the TTML2
... changes.

<glenn> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/ttml/raw-file/tip/ttml2/spec/ttml2-changes.html

tmichel: I think that will be very helpful for interested people to check the new functionality.

glenn: I'll reference that from the SOTD.

tmichel: That's more like a change log. I was more thinking about something in the introduction
... mentioning the new concept, important changes etc. It doesn't necessarily need to be done
... in the FPWD but it would be helpful later.

glenn: I could attempt to summarise the technical changes in a paragraph in the Introduction.
... I'll consider that a Review comment. How are we going to track review comments?

nigel: We don't need a Disposition of Comments formalisation for this internal review. I suggest

<glenn> ACTION: glenn add paragraph in intro that summarizes changes from TTML1 (comment from TM) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/01/15-tt-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-364 - Add paragraph in intro that summarizes changes from ttml1 (comment from tm) [on Glenn Adams - due 2015-01-22].

nigel: using the Tracker because that's most trackable!

Action Items

action-332?

<trackbot> action-332 -- Glenn Adams to Add schema support for ISD vocabulary -- due 2014-10-27 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/332

glenn: I've completed this.

close action-332

<trackbot> Closed action-332.

action-343?

<trackbot> action-343 -- Glenn Adams to Update point (1) of section 3.1 in ttml2 to refer to a new annex that defines new processorprofiles mime type parameter -- due 2014-11-03 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/343

glenn: I added an Editorial Note for this one, awaiting further work - I don't need the action any longer for this.

close action-343

<trackbot> Closed action-343.

action-347?

<trackbot> action-347 -- Glenn Adams to Check if timecontainer explicitly has no semantics with timebase smpte, markermode discontinuous -- due 2014-11-04 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/347

glenn: I added an Editorial Note for this one, awaiting further work - I don't need the action any longer for this.

close action-347

<trackbot> Closed action-347.

action-360?

<trackbot> action-360 -- Nigel Megitt to Send liaison request on behalf of w3c ttwg to arib -- due 2014-12-18 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/360

nigel: No developments on this during this week.

action-363?

<trackbot> action-363 -- Nigel Megitt to Format and send itu-r liaison response -- due 2015-01-15 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/363

nigel: There's been quite a bit of debate about this resulting in a most recent draft.

pal: I think it is inappropriate to send the link to Andreas's post.
... From a form perspective I think we need to be more formal.
... That in no way denigrates the referenced post though.

<glenn> TTML is a functional superset of WebVTT and is based upon XML. WebVTT is not based on XML, but is a simpler plain text format, intended to be written by simple authoring tools.

<glenn> TTML and WebVTT are both chartered as deliverables by the TTWG.

nigel: We need to move on from this for time.

pal: I'll re-review the response and respond on the reflector.
... Proposes that a summary of the charter deliverables and a link to the most recent version
... of each specification would suffice to answer the question.

<inserted> nigel: I understand what you're getting at Pierre, I'll draft something and circulate it.

Issues

issue-360?

<trackbot> issue-360 -- Use of content encoding -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/360

glenn: This is a recommendation that a transfer should use gzip if support is indicated.

reopen issue-360

<trackbot> Re-opened issue-360.

issue-361?

<trackbot> issue-361 -- Add ttm:mediaTimestamp (or equivalent) attribute. -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/361

nigel: this is about mapping external time stamps into the document timeline.

reopen issue-361

<trackbot> Re-opened issue-361.

issue-362?

<trackbot> issue-362 -- Handling forward interoperability of attribute extensions in TT namespaces. -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/362

glenn: This is an extension of what we already have for elements but for attributes.

reopen issue-362

<trackbot> Re-opened issue-362.

issue-363?

<trackbot> issue-363 -- Add support for font shear -- pending review

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/363

reopen issue-363

<trackbot> Re-opened issue-363.

issue-364?

<trackbot> issue-364 -- Relax constraint between the extents of the root container and the dimensions of the related video object frame -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/364

reopen issue-364

<trackbot> Re-opened issue-364.

issue-365?

<trackbot> issue-365 -- Define HTML5 Mapping -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/365

reopen issue-365

<trackbot> Re-opened issue-365.

issue-229?

<trackbot> issue-229 -- Mixed vertical-horizontal progression direction -- pending review

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/229

glenn: This is the addition of the text combine, using the semantics of the CSS Writing Modes
... albeit with a slightly shortened name.

nigel: This is the only dependency on Change Proposal 21

<scribe> ACTION: pal Review Change Proposal 21 in the light of closure of Issue-229. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/01/15-tt-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-365 - Review change proposal 21 in the light of closure of issue-229. [on Pierre-Anthony Lemieux - due 2015-01-22].

close issue-229

<trackbot> Closed issue-229.

<scribe> ACTION: nigel Review Change Proposal 14 in the light of closure of Issue-10. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/01/15-tt-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-366 - Review change proposal 14 in the light of closure of issue-10. [on Nigel Megitt - due 2015-01-22].

issue-303?

<trackbot> issue-303 -- Permit HTML-style <a> elements to contain href links -- pending review

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/303

glenn: This allows xlink syntax and semantics on span and image only.
... Since we've adopted XML wholeheartedly I wanted to continue that by using xlink.

close issue-303

<trackbot> Closed issue-303.

<scribe> ACTION: nigel Review Change Proposal 27 in the light of closure of Issue-303. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/01/15-tt-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-367 - Review change proposal 27 in the light of closure of issue-303. [on Nigel Megitt - due 2015-01-22].

issue-225?

<trackbot> issue-225 -- tts:fontSize as percentage of container dimensions -- pending review

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/225

glenn: We had added vw and vh and vmin and vmax and there was a request to remove vmin and vmax

close issue-225

<trackbot> Closed issue-225.

issue-229?

<trackbot> issue-229 -- Mixed vertical-horizontal progression direction -- closed

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/229

issue-234?

<trackbot> issue-234 -- Drop Shadow character style -- pending review

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/234

issue-235

<trackbot> issue-235 -- Feathering of shadow and outline effects -- pending review

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/235

glenn: Both issue-235 and issue-235 are handled by dropShadow - I'm anticipating adding
... something similar to region as well. I believe this handles the SMPTE/DC request.
... Just to remind folks, textOutline is similar, but has an 'outset' rather than an x and y offset.
... It's along the vector of the tangent to the outline. Whereas shadow allows an x and y offset.

mike: It was a SMPTE request relating to CEA-708

close issue-234

<trackbot> Closed issue-234.

close issue-235

<trackbot> Closed issue-235.

issue-273?

<trackbot> issue-273 -- Map fontFamily to external font file resources -- pending review

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/273

glenn: That's addressed by the new font element.
... There's still an Editorial Note for picking the correct font file resource and also
... the font selection strategy.

close issue-273

<trackbot> Closed issue-273.

issue-285?

<trackbot> issue-285 -- Align rendered rows within a region to each other, and the set to the region -- pending review

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/285

glenn: This allows a textAlign property on span, which turns it into an inline block with a
... distinct alignment to the paragraph. So it's functionally equivalent. I've also tested it with
... a few browsers.

close issue-285

<trackbot> Closed issue-285.

issue-286?

<trackbot> issue-286 -- Extend the background area behind rendered text to improve readability -- pending review

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/286

glenn: Here I enhanced the semantics of padding to say that if applied to a span then clone
... applies at line breaks as opposed to the non-clone (slice) semantics. That happens to be
... distinct from what browsers implement so a mapping process may need to insert a property
... to handle it.

close issue-286

<trackbot> Closed issue-286.

<atai> I will not be able to join on the 29th

glenn: Regrets for the 22nd.

<Frans> I will not be able to join either (PTS).

nigel: Please make any comments on the TTML2 snapshot on the reflector, for discussion offline
... as soon as possible.

Frans: regrets from me for the 29th (clarifying)

nigel: We're out of time so I'll adjourn. Thanks all.

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: glenn add paragraph in intro that summarizes changes from TTML1 (comment from TM) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/01/15-tt-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: nigel Review Change Proposal 14 in the light of closure of Issue-10. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/01/15-tt-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: nigel Review Change Proposal 27 in the light of closure of Issue-303. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/01/15-tt-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: pal Review Change Proposal 21 in the light of closure of Issue-229. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/01/15-tt-minutes.html#action02]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015-01-15 16:11:12 $