IRC log of tt on 2015-01-15

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:54:34 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #tt
14:54:34 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2015/01/15-tt-irc
14:54:36 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
14:54:36 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #tt
14:54:38 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be TTML
14:54:38 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see SYMM_TTWG()10:00AM scheduled to start in 6 minutes
14:54:39 [trackbot]
Meeting: Timed Text Working Group Teleconference
14:54:39 [trackbot]
Date: 15 January 2015
14:59:15 [Zakim]
SYMM_TTWG()10:00AM has now started
14:59:22 [Zakim]
+ +1.720.897.aaaa
14:59:31 [glenn]
zakim, aaaa is me
14:59:31 [Zakim]
+glenn; got it
15:00:27 [Frans]
Frans has joined #tt
15:00:40 [Zakim]
+nigel
15:01:03 [Zakim]
+ +41.22.717.aabb
15:01:08 [Frans]
Frnas
15:01:14 [nigel]
Present: glenn, nigel, Frans
15:01:18 [nigel]
zakim, aabb is Frans
15:01:18 [Zakim]
+Frans; got it
15:01:23 [nigel]
chair: nigel
15:01:58 [Zakim]
+??P8
15:02:11 [nigel]
zakim, P8 is tmichel
15:02:11 [Zakim]
sorry, nigel, I do not recognize a party named 'P8'
15:02:16 [nigel]
zakim, ??P8 is tmichel
15:02:16 [Zakim]
+tmichel; got it
15:03:32 [nigel]
Present+ tmichel
15:03:41 [atai]
atai has joined #tt
15:03:41 [nigel]
Topic: This meeting
15:03:52 [nigel]
scribeNick: nigel
15:03:57 [Zakim]
+pal
15:04:04 [nigel]
Present+ pal
15:04:30 [Zakim]
+Andreas
15:04:42 [nigel]
nigel: Add to the agenda: Issue-365, TTML2 FPWD review version
15:04:49 [nigel]
Present+ Andreas
15:05:08 [nigel]
group: No AOB.
15:05:41 [nigel]
Topic: TTML2 version for review
15:06:16 [nigel]
nigel: Glenn has prepared a snapshot of TTML2 for review prior to FPWD.
15:06:38 [nigel]
glenn: This is static for the purpose of review. I need to reformat and change the SOTD.
15:06:56 [nigel]
... And I'll review it myself. If there's anything broken, that's discovered in the review, then
15:07:12 [nigel]
... we can go ahead and fix that. Otherwise changes would be strictly editorial.
15:07:51 [nigel]
nigel: The 2 week review period neatly ends on 29th Jan - is that okay with all?
15:07:54 [nigel]
group: No objections.
15:08:02 [pal]
pal has joined #tt
15:08:22 [glenn]
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/ttml/raw-file/tip/ttml2/spec/ttml2-20150114-pre-fpwd-review-1.html
15:09:00 [nigel]
glenn: I took all the open issues and anything that is in a Change Proposal. We didn't have
15:09:23 [Zakim]
+jdsmith
15:09:26 [jdsmith]
jdsmith has joined #tt
15:09:26 [nigel]
... an issue for HTML5 mapping, so I added Issue-365 for that. The issues are in yellow issue
15:09:32 [nigel]
... boxes spread throughout the document.
15:09:37 [nigel]
Present+ jdsmith
15:09:53 [nigel]
glenn: That covers all of the open issues against TTML2. Then there are editorial notes which
15:10:03 [nigel]
... are actions on me, without specific issues marked against them.
15:10:47 [nigel]
nigel: Thierry also reserved the short name ttml2 for this version, in advance of publication.
15:11:01 [nigel]
tmichel: Do you plan to have a difference section comparing it to TTML1?
15:11:14 [nigel]
glenn: There's another document, that will be referenced from the SOTD, describing the TTML2
15:11:17 [nigel]
... changes.
15:11:22 [mike]
mike has joined #tt
15:11:34 [glenn]
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/ttml/raw-file/tip/ttml2/spec/ttml2-changes.html
15:11:51 [nigel]
tmichel: I think that will be very helpful for interested people to check the new functionality.
15:12:02 [nigel]
glenn: I'll reference that from the SOTD.
15:12:04 [Zakim]
+Mike
15:12:16 [nigel]
tmichel: That's more like a change log. I was more thinking about something in the introduction
15:12:34 [nigel]
... mentioning the new concept, important changes etc. It doesn't necessarily need to be done
15:12:42 [nigel]
... in the FPWD but it would be helpful later.
15:12:47 [nigel]
Present+ Mike
15:13:09 [nigel]
glenn: I could attempt to summarise the technical changes in a paragraph in the Introduction.
15:13:53 [nigel]
... I'll consider that a Review comment. How are we going to track review comments?
15:14:19 [nigel]
nigel: We don't need a Disposition of Comments formalisation for this internal review. I suggest
15:14:20 [glenn]
action glenn add paragraph in intro that summarizes changes from TTML1 (comment from TM)
15:14:20 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-364 - Add paragraph in intro that summarizes changes from ttml1 (comment from tm) [on Glenn Adams - due 2015-01-22].
15:14:34 [nigel]
nigel: using the Tracker because that's most trackable!
15:14:44 [nigel]
s/action/Action:
15:15:17 [nigel]
Topic: Action Items
15:16:35 [nigel]
action-332?
15:16:35 [trackbot]
action-332 -- Glenn Adams to Add schema support for ISD vocabulary -- due 2014-10-27 -- PENDINGREVIEW
15:16:35 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/332
15:16:46 [nigel]
glenn: I've completed this.
15:17:02 [nigel]
close action-332
15:17:02 [trackbot]
Closed action-332.
15:17:06 [nigel]
action-343?
15:17:06 [trackbot]
action-343 -- Glenn Adams to Update point (1) of section 3.1 in ttml2 to refer to a new annex that defines new processorprofiles mime type parameter -- due 2014-11-03 -- PENDINGREVIEW
15:17:06 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/343
15:18:07 [nigel]
glenn: I added an Editorial Note for this one, awaiting further work - I don't need the action any longer for this.
15:18:11 [nigel]
close action-343
15:18:11 [trackbot]
Closed action-343.
15:18:16 [nigel]
action-347?
15:18:16 [trackbot]
action-347 -- Glenn Adams to Check if timecontainer explicitly has no semantics with timebase smpte, markermode discontinuous -- due 2014-11-04 -- PENDINGREVIEW
15:18:16 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/347
15:18:21 [nigel]
glenn: I added an Editorial Note for this one, awaiting further work - I don't need the action any longer for this.
15:18:29 [nigel]
close action-347
15:18:29 [trackbot]
Closed action-347.
15:18:32 [nigel]
action-360?
15:18:32 [trackbot]
action-360 -- Nigel Megitt to Send liaison request on behalf of w3c ttwg to arib -- due 2014-12-18 -- OPEN
15:18:32 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/360
15:19:16 [nigel]
nigel: No developments on this during this week.
15:19:19 [nigel]
action-363?
15:19:19 [trackbot]
action-363 -- Nigel Megitt to Format and send itu-r liaison response -- due 2015-01-15 -- OPEN
15:19:19 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/363
15:20:34 [nigel]
nigel: There's been quite a bit of debate about this resulting in a most recent draft.
15:21:25 [nigel]
pal: I think it is inappropriate to send the link to Andreas's post.
15:22:15 [nigel]
pal: From a form perspective I think we need to be more formal.
15:22:46 [nigel]
... That in no way denigrates the referenced post though.
15:28:06 [glenn]
TTML is a functional superset of WebVTT and is based upon XML. WebVTT is not based on XML, but is a simpler plain text format, intended to be written by simple authoring tools.
15:30:14 [glenn]
TTML and WebVTT are both chartered as deliverables by the TTWG.
15:36:50 [nigel]
nigel: We need to move on from this for time.
15:37:28 [nigel]
pal: I'll re-review the response and respond on the reflector.
15:40:01 [nigel]
pal: Proposes that a summary of the charter deliverables and a link to the most recent version
15:40:12 [nigel]
... of each specification would suffice to answer the question.
15:40:40 [glenn]
WebVTT is timed text for Bolsheviks. TTML is timed text for Mensheviks. ;)
15:41:15 [nigel]
Topic: Issues
15:41:16 [glenn]
s/WebVTT is timed text for Bolsheviks. TTML is timed text for Mensheviks.//
15:41:29 [nigel]
issue-360?
15:41:29 [trackbot]
issue-360 -- Use of content encoding -- open
15:41:29 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/360
15:42:26 [nigel]
glenn: This is a recommendation that a transfer should use gzip if support is indicated.
15:42:40 [nigel]
reopen issue-360
15:42:40 [trackbot]
Re-opened issue-360.
15:42:44 [nigel]
issue-361?
15:42:44 [trackbot]
issue-361 -- Add ttm:mediaTimestamp (or equivalent) attribute. -- open
15:42:44 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/361
15:43:35 [nigel]
nigel: this is about mapping external time stamps into the document timeline.
15:43:40 [nigel]
reopen issue-361
15:43:40 [trackbot]
Re-opened issue-361.
15:44:01 [nigel]
issue-362?
15:44:01 [trackbot]
issue-362 -- Handling forward interoperability of attribute extensions in TT namespaces. -- open
15:44:01 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/362
15:44:27 [nigel]
glenn: This is an extension of what we already have for elements but for attributes.
15:44:31 [nigel]
reopen issue-362
15:44:31 [trackbot]
Re-opened issue-362.
15:44:34 [nigel]
issue-363?
15:44:34 [trackbot]
issue-363 -- Add support for font shear -- pending review
15:44:34 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/363
15:44:45 [nigel]
reopen issue-363
15:44:45 [trackbot]
Re-opened issue-363.
15:44:49 [nigel]
issue-364?
15:44:49 [trackbot]
issue-364 -- Relax constraint between the extents of the root container and the dimensions of the related video object frame -- open
15:44:49 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/364
15:45:10 [nigel]
reopen issue-364
15:45:10 [trackbot]
Re-opened issue-364.
15:45:14 [nigel]
issue-365?
15:45:14 [trackbot]
issue-365 -- Define HTML5 Mapping -- raised
15:45:14 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/365
15:45:25 [nigel]
reopen issue-365
15:45:25 [trackbot]
Re-opened issue-365.
15:47:00 [nigel]
issue-229?
15:47:00 [trackbot]
issue-229 -- Mixed vertical-horizontal progression direction -- pending review
15:47:00 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/229
15:47:50 [nigel]
glenn: This is the addition of the text combine, using the semantics of the CSS Writing Modes
15:48:05 [nigel]
... albeit with a slightly shortened name.
15:49:21 [nigel]
nigel: This is the only dependency on Change Proposal 21
15:49:37 [nigel]
Action: pal Review Change Proposal 21 in the light of closure of Issue-229.
15:49:37 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-365 - Review change proposal 21 in the light of closure of issue-229. [on Pierre-Anthony Lemieux - due 2015-01-22].
15:50:04 [nigel]
close issue-229
15:50:04 [trackbot]
Closed issue-229.
15:50:51 [nigel]
Action: nigel Review Change Proposal 14 in the light of closure of Issue-10.
15:50:51 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-366 - Review change proposal 14 in the light of closure of issue-10. [on Nigel Megitt - due 2015-01-22].
15:51:03 [nigel]
issue-303?
15:51:03 [trackbot]
issue-303 -- Permit HTML-style <a> elements to contain href links -- pending review
15:51:03 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/303
15:51:40 [nigel]
glenn: This allows xlink syntax and semantics on span and image only.
15:52:25 [nigel]
glenn: Since we've adopted XML wholeheartedly I wanted to continue that by using xlink.
15:52:55 [nigel]
close issue-303
15:52:55 [trackbot]
Closed issue-303.
15:53:10 [nigel]
Action: nigel Review Change Proposal 27 in the light of closure of Issue-303.
15:53:10 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-367 - Review change proposal 27 in the light of closure of issue-303. [on Nigel Megitt - due 2015-01-22].
15:53:33 [nigel]
issue-225?
15:53:33 [trackbot]
issue-225 -- tts:fontSize as percentage of container dimensions -- pending review
15:53:33 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/225
15:53:56 [nigel]
glenn: We had added vw and vh and vmin and vmax and there was a request to remove vmin and vmax
15:54:20 [nigel]
close issue-225
15:54:20 [trackbot]
Closed issue-225.
15:54:25 [nigel]
issue-229?
15:54:25 [trackbot]
issue-229 -- Mixed vertical-horizontal progression direction -- closed
15:54:25 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/229
15:54:36 [nigel]
issue-234?
15:54:36 [trackbot]
issue-234 -- Drop Shadow character style -- pending review
15:54:36 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/234
15:54:48 [nigel]
issue-235
15:54:48 [trackbot]
issue-235 -- Feathering of shadow and outline effects -- pending review
15:54:48 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/235
15:55:16 [nigel]
glenn: Both issue-235 and issue-235 are handled by dropShadow - I'm anticipating adding
15:55:43 [nigel]
... something similar to region as well. I believe this handles the SMPTE/DC request.
15:56:00 [nigel]
... Just to remind folks, textOutline is similar, but has an 'outset' rather than an x and y offset.
15:56:21 [nigel]
... It's along the vector of the tangent to the outline. Whereas shadow allows an x and y offset.
15:56:40 [nigel]
mike: It was a SMPTE request relating to CEA-708
15:56:46 [nigel]
close issue-234
15:56:46 [trackbot]
Closed issue-234.
15:56:49 [nigel]
close issue-235
15:56:49 [trackbot]
Closed issue-235.
15:56:54 [nigel]
issue-273?
15:56:54 [trackbot]
issue-273 -- Map fontFamily to external font file resources -- pending review
15:56:54 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/273
15:57:35 [nigel]
glenn: That's addressed by the new font element.
15:58:15 [nigel]
glenn: THere's still an Editorial Note for picking the correct font file resource and also
15:58:20 [nigel]
... the font selection strategy.
15:58:26 [nigel]
close issue-273
15:58:26 [trackbot]
Closed issue-273.
15:58:32 [nigel]
issue-285?
15:58:32 [trackbot]
issue-285 -- Align rendered rows within a region to each other, and the set to the region -- pending review
15:58:32 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/285
15:59:10 [nigel]
glenn: This allows a textAlign property on span, which turns it into an inline block with a
15:59:24 [nigel]
... distinct alignment to the paragraph. So it's functionally equivalent. I've also tested it with
15:59:27 [nigel]
... a few browsers.
15:59:37 [nigel]
close issue-285
15:59:37 [trackbot]
Closed issue-285.
15:59:42 [nigel]
issue-286?
15:59:42 [trackbot]
issue-286 -- Extend the background area behind rendered text to improve readability -- pending review
15:59:42 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/286
16:00:11 [nigel]
glenn: Here I enhanced the semantics of padding to say that if applied to a span then clone
16:00:25 [nigel]
... applies at line breaks as opposed to the non-clone (slice) semantics. That happens to be
16:00:40 [nigel]
... distinct from what browsers implement so a mapping process may need to insert a property
16:00:45 [nigel]
... to handle it.
16:01:03 [nigel]
close issue-286
16:01:03 [trackbot]
Closed issue-286.
16:02:34 [atai]
I will not be able to join on the 29th
16:02:48 [nigel]
glenn: Regrets for the 22nd.
16:03:03 [Frans]
I will not be able to join either (PTS).
16:03:27 [nigel]
nigel: Please make any comments on the TTML2 snapshot on the reflector, for discussion offline
16:03:33 [nigel]
... as soon as possible.
16:03:42 [nigel]
Frans: regrets from me for the 29th (clarifying)
16:03:54 [nigel]
nigel: We're out of time so I'll adjourn. Thanks all.
16:03:58 [Zakim]
-Andreas
16:04:01 [Zakim]
-pal
16:04:02 [Zakim]
-glenn
16:04:06 [Zakim]
-Frans
16:04:07 [Zakim]
-jdsmith
16:04:11 [Zakim]
-nigel
16:04:12 [Zakim]
-Mike
16:04:24 [nigel]
rrsagent, make logs public
16:04:29 [nigel]
rrsagent, generate minutes
16:04:29 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/01/15-tt-minutes.html nigel
16:04:41 [tmichel]
za
16:04:51 [tmichel]
24
16:05:33 [nigel]
s/Frnas/
16:06:52 [nigel]
s/;)/
16:07:50 [nigel]
s/There/There
16:07:58 [nigel]
s/THere/There
16:08:22 [nigel]
s/za/
16:08:24 [nigel]
s/24/
16:08:30 [nigel]
rrsagent, generate minutes
16:08:30 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/01/15-tt-minutes.html nigel
16:10:08 [nigel]
ScribeOptions: -final -noEmbedDiagnostics
16:10:10 [nigel]
rrsagent, generate minutes
16:10:10 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/01/15-tt-minutes.html nigel
16:11:05 [nigel]
i/Topic: Issues/nigel: I understand what you're getting at Pierre, I'll draft something and circulate it.
16:11:07 [nigel]
rrsagent, generate minutes
16:11:07 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/01/15-tt-minutes.html nigel
17:05:03 [Zakim]
disconnecting the lone participant, tmichel, in SYMM_TTWG()10:00AM
17:05:03 [Zakim]
SYMM_TTWG()10:00AM has ended
17:05:03 [Zakim]
Attendees were +1.720.897.aaaa, glenn, nigel, +41.22.717.aabb, Frans, tmichel, pal, Andreas, jdsmith, Mike
17:28:31 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #tt