W3C

Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference

07 Jul 2014

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
 Ivan Herman (ivan), Michael Miller (AH_Miller), Liza Daly (liza),  Karen Myers (karen), Dave Cramer (dauwhe), Luc Audrain (Luc), Brady Duga (duga),Deborah Kaplan (dkaplan), Peter Krautzberger (pkra), Alan Stearns (astearns), Shinyu Murakami (murakami), Charles LaPierre (clapierre)Thierry Michel (tmichel),  Frederick Hirsch (fjh)
Regrets
Levantovsky Vladimir (Vlad), Laura Dawson (dawson), Timothy Cole (timCole)
Chair
Liza Daly (liza)
Scribe
  Karen Myers (karen)

Contents


<trackbot> Date: 07 July 2014

<liza> Bizarro Liza?

<pkra> pkra is aaee

<clapierre> zakium, 1.408.979.aaff is Charles

Ayla Stein, University of Illinois

Ivan: We are all set now

Liza: Karen volunteered to scribe

<scribe> Chair: Liza

<ivan> scribenick: Karen

Liza: First, let's approve last week's minutes. Are there any objections?

…hearing none, minute approved

…Today likely not the full hour call

…We will get an update from the Accessibility Task Force

…And before we go on break, I would love to hear from that group about what they will be doing

…and about any other work happening during the summer months

…Any volunteers [to give the update]?

…Or shall I choose someone?

Deborah: We [Acces. TF] have not actually gotten together in the last month, so there is not a lot to say

…Gerardo has left, and I'm not sure if we have a replacement 'fearless leader'

…We have to fix that

…Anyone want to speak up?

…We will send email to find a replacemen

t

Liza; Who came in from Benetech for Gerardo

Deborah: Charles LaPierre

…may not be a bad thing; could be a clean slate

…Maybe we can spend this time reviewing the overall IG has talked about

…a lot of our work touches on Accessibility so I'd like to hear about some of the gaps

…that perhaps this group could cover; areas such as styling and markup, etc.

…or areas where we need to be looking at Accessibility

…What Charles can bring is knowledge about what rest of group has been looking at

…might be able to help answer that question

…Another thing we did talk about

…with Richard, we talked about a possible WAI TF under Protocols and Formats

…to create a subteam responsible

…for creating an EPUB structural semantics module

…in the way ARIA TF is looking at ebook

…and ebook mappings guide

…I dropped the ball on moving that forward; need to pick up

…Possibility that David @ maybe interested in being a facilitator?

…That is kind of where the group stood when we spoke a month ago

…Would love if anyone can bring up anything I missed

…We need to reorganize and pick someone to herd the cats after the break

…So we have a plan

…Sounds like what Liza said is that the first part of the plan is to do a gap analysis and see where the whole in the plan are

…regarding the wider group

Charles: I agree with you; that is fine

…I would love to become the fearless leader once I understand more

…or that can be done in another meeting

Liza: other outstanding issues, Ivan?

Ivan: I look at all that the group should do; and how to organize is a separate question

…First, this discussion with PF on structural semantics is important

…for the TF

…which at the moment is dormant

…on long term this is one of the urgent things we should do

…A bit of an outsider of PF, but what I would like to understand

…Not sure if you can find out from Richard

…What is the formal mechanism to define new values for the role attribute

…for whatever purpose we decide to use it for

…My big question marks are two-fold

…one is the role attributes here has been considered for values and usage that are not necessarily Accessibility related

…May be values for replacing the EPUB type

…which are not nec. Accessibilty

…not sure how this group would react on that

…This is a specific question to clarify

…The other big question mark I have

…is more social

…There is an interplay between the PF and the HTML5 WG

…which I want to understand

…If a specific value is accepted by PF, for electronic books or publication

…are those values automatically accepted by the HTML5 WG; would the HTML5 validator accept them?

…Or do we need a second round for acceptance? I don't know

…There are very specific questions for which I have not received answers

…if this TF could close these issues in a positive way, that would be really great

…Because then the whole process of semantics would be the focus

Liza: I think the group is looking for specific things to work on

Ivan: This is one thing

…I don't know if there is any reaction on these questions

Luc: How could we make it moving with the people taking care of the role attribute today?

Ivan: I thought that there is a plan to have a or several meetings with the PF people

…Unfortunately one thing that did happen

…One of people I talked to, who is member of W3C Staff, may take another job

…But having one or several meetings with not only Richard but also staff contact for Protocols and Formats WG

…to have a series of meetings and make these things clear and written down

…Not sure if this can be done in July with vacations

Luc: way to do it is to have this meeting

Ivan: yes

Liza: Who can set that up?

Ivan: I don't really have contact with them; I will be on vacations for next several weeks

…if it shifts to August, I can set it up then, but not before

Liza: A fixed time in the future is better than nothing

Ivan: Thierry, are you around in July?

Thierry: yes

Ivan: one possibility is that you talk to the staff contact on that group and try to get that meeting set up

Bill Kasdorf: It would be valuable to have Markus on that call; he is on vacation in July

Ivan: Liza is right, keeping things running is also important

…whoever is around

…that would be good

scribe: we are running around this question for what to do with structural semantics for 2-3 months now

…we know general direciton, but not sure if we can have it

Bill: quick comment on issues

…some we are looking at are not spec Access. issues

…but anything involving structural semantics is important to Accessibility

Bill: that would be our case to be made for why it's important

Ivan: yes, not sure if that was the case

Charles: I go on vacation for next 3 weeks

…back last week of July

Ivan: I return in mid-August

Charles: Early August is fine

Ivan: Let's see if Thierry can get the ball rolling

<scribe> ACTION: Thierry to contact PF staff contact to arrange meeting [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/07/07-dpub-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-18 - Contact pf staff contact to arrange meeting [on Thierry Michel - due 2014-07-14].

Ivan: Other thing I was asking myself all along, without knowing details, for which I apologize

…WAI has many documents

…question I am asking, is are the documents all right for digital publishing?

…Are they applicable or not; are there things not covered by those documents?

…Having a review of the Authoring Tools

…the User Agent Accessibility Guidelines

…I don't know whether or not they are complete

Deborah: I am hearing what Liza was suggesting is to do a gap analysis of the WAI guidelines

…are there missing guidelines for digpub; is that the same idea?

Ivan: yes

<clapierre> 1+

Deborah: That seems like a very good project for the Accessibility group

Ivan: yes, to "criticize what W3C provides"

…so who, when, where, and what

Liza: This may give you some time to work on this

Deborah: Having the task of reading through all of the WAI guidelines

…also seems like a good task for W3C to be doing periodically anyone; and what has changed in the overarching environment to keep that fresh

…I think that is a very good idea

Ivan: yes, I think so

…It is probably a good idea

…to get into contact with Shawn Henry, staff contact for these documents on the W3C team

…they may have some planning and timelines; which ones to look at first, tec.

s/tec, etc.

…not sure if you have had contact before

Deborah: I have spoken with her before

…I don't mind reaching out to Shawn

Ivan: check with her about their planning

Deborah: Sounds good

Liza: Anything more, Ivan?

Charles: Are there links to the guidelines; and is UA same guidelines?

Ivan: Let me look

<ivan> http://www.w3.org/WAI/guid-tech.html

Ivan: Here is one place I know which lists the various documents. If you go there, the top three are the main documents that have been produced by W3C

…And the reason I refer to them

…Accessibility being as it is; mainly WCAG

…that one has been part of some official regulations in different countries; those are pretty widely used documents

…Web content is how you build your pages

…and what to be careful about

…Authoring Tools accessibility guidelines may be less important for this group, but I may be wrong

…User Agent Accessibility guidelines was done in view of browsers

…but same documents should be usable for reading systems

…There again, there may be things missing or some issues there to be driven back to reading systems developers

…I would think that WCAG and UAG require a pretty good review right now, depending upon the group's timing

Charles: Great

<ivan> WCAG 2.0

Liza: Is that enough of a punch list?

Deborah: That seems pretty good to me

…I am also putting out a bulleted list

<ivan> UAAG1.0

…to mail to WAI group

…please send to me

Liza: Good to send to the entire IG

Ivan: I agree

…there may be something else

<clapierre> yes I do

…Gerardo and a colleague of ours, Doug Schepers, have begun to work more seriously on SVG accessibility issues

…that is much more vague; there is no final document

…but with SVG coming to the fore for fixed-layout books, for example, that might be important here

…But I don't know where we are with that

…Maybe Gerardo knows

…Looking at that from publications POV could be interesting

Charles: Gerardo mentioned them to me; to read up on this

…could have Accessibility implications

Ivan: yes
... I think that is all I have, Liza

Liza: We don't have to decide what the next call will be about, but we will go on hiatus until when?

Ivan: I think we said 11 August

Liza: Sounds like Accessibility group will have some things to report then

Ivan; [laughs] they will have everything done!

Liza: We'll continue talking amongst ourselves for the next group meeting

…I have nothing further

…other than to wish people happy vacations

Liza: See you in August!

<ivan> trackbot, end telcon

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Thierry to contact PF staff contact to arrange meeting [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/07/07-dpub-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-07-07 16:13:37 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

WARNING: Bad s/// command: s/tec, etc.
Found ScribeNick: Karen
Inferring Scribes: Karen

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

Default Present: +1.240.421.aaaa, Ivan, +1.617.439.aabb, AH_Miller, liza, +1.917.207.aacc, +33.1.41.23.aadd, Karen_Myers, dauwhe, Luc, duga, +1.617.858.aaee, +1.408.979.aaff, +1.206.675.aagg, dkaplan, astearns_, pkra, +1.217.300.aahh, astein, murakami, clapierre, tmichel, +1.734.904.aaii, fjh
Present: +1.240.421.aaaa Ivan +1.617.439.aabb AH_Miller liza +1.917.207.aacc +33.1.41.23.aadd Karen_Myers dauwhe Luc duga +1.617.858.aaee +1.408.979.aaff +1.206.675.aagg dkaplan astearns_ pkra +1.217.300.aahh astein murakami clapierre tmichel +1.734.904.aaii fjh Frederick_Hirsch
Regrets: Vlad Laura_Dawson
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digipub-ig/2014Jul/0011.html
Found Date: 07 Jul 2014
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2014/07/07-dpub-minutes.html
People with action items: thierry

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.


WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report


[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]