W3C

- DRAFT -

Education and Outreach Working Group Teleconference

08 Nov 2013

Agenda

  1. Action items, short term in wiki - review status of all
  2. Easy Checks
  3. ATAG outreach plan

Attendees

Present
+1.615.417.aaaa, Shawn, +1.512.731.aabb, Sharron, Jan, AnnaBelle, Bim, PaulSchantz, Sylvie_Duchateau
Regrets
Andrew, Vicki, Howard, (?)Suzette, Wayne
Chair
Shawn
Scribe
Sharron

Contents


<trackbot> Date: 08 November 2013

<scribe> Scribe: Sharron

Action item check

<shawn> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Action_Items

Shawn: Did everyone see the email about the archival file for the Action items?

<paulschantz> sure is easier to read!

Shawn: Annabelle is gearing up for illustrations, Andrew done a first pass through the review, Jan have you been able to?

Jan: No

Shawn: Sharron, you were going to send a couple of responses- one to Tom Worthington and the other to the UI design, have you sent?

Sharron: Yes I still need to do that

Shawn: Send the Tom Worthington response to the editor's list and send the email to the UI desgin and copy Andrew and me

<shawn> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-eo-editors/2013Oct/

Sharron: OK will do

Shawn: I will bring the visual design specs for the tutorials back to the group.
... Wayne has a few

Easy Checks

<Jan> It would help for us to have sections that you want to target first

Shawn: There were no comments about the new additions to Easy Checks, what is your preference about how to arpproach?

AnnaBelle: I would love to talk about illustrations but are ready to talk whenever

Jan: Since I am new to this, what is the focus first? Some guidance is useful.

Paul: I would agree with the IRC comment, but in fact there is some guidance in the wiki actions

<Sylvie> no requests

<paulschantz> agreed, EasyChecks is mostly polish in my opinion

Sharron: I didn't comment because we really are down to fine tuning

<paulschantz> (mostly needs) polish

<shawn> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Easy_Checks

Shawn: So let's go to the wiki page
... go through the points here and add your comments

Sharron: While it is clear that we have focused actions to polish and tweak, I think Jan and Anthony's perspective as new and first impressions would be useful

Shawn: And I had a question about my response to some of your comments.
... Jan

Jan: So I just need to go through in sequential order and comment. What is our deadline?

Shawn: We haven't set one

Jan: It would help me to have deadlines, since I have been following all the links and it is a bit daunting

Shawn: Can you complete through Keyboard by Wednesday?

Jan: Yes, I will do that.

Shawn: And to the group, should we set a deadline for publication?

<paulschantz> +1

AnnaBelle: I like the idea of a deadline.

Sharron: Me too

<paulschantz> +1 to deadline and publish in December

Shawn: Since it is largely dependent on the illustrations, that is a consideration.
... we could set milestones for that and avoid the back and forth delays we had before
... so Jan has her actions clear, AnnaBelle does and for everyone else just go through the wiki and and comments or approval
... even a +1 will help us know that the group has reviewed

Paul: Yes that is clear, I can do that

Shawn: The one section (Forms) have issues and yet to be resolved questions. Everything else is polishing stage
... aside from the illustrations and the forms, it is pretty much done.
... other questions or ideas on that?
... one thing I want to look at is the public comments as a double check

<shawn> Public comments:

<shawn> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Easy_Checks_Comments#.5BOPEN.5D_Comment_1_VC

<shawn> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Easy_Checks_Comments#.5BOPEN.5D_Comment_2_VC

Shawn: We approved this response last week, and only need comments from those not at the meeting. AnnaBelle could you do that after this meeting?

<Sylvie> I was not on last week's call

<shawn> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-eo/2013OctDec/0017.html

Shawn: Sharron, add to the action wiki page for everyone who missed that call to add comment or approval to the Public Comments suggested response

<shawn> subtopic: illusrtations

Shawn: And finally we need to bring everyone to speed on illustrations...AnnaBelle?

<shawn> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Easy_Checks_-_Illustrations

AnnaBelle: We are trying to optimize the illustrations so they work well to illuminate the point, are correctly labeled and work for all disabilities and platforms.
... we have laid out some principles but it is difficult both for accessibility and for responsive deing. I expect we will get to a place that is wonderful, but we are not there yet

Shawn: I moved the Easy Checks illustrations comments to a separate page

Sharron: Always a good thing in my opinion

Shawn: I think while you may want to keep some of the old notes AnnaBelle, I wrap them in a div and grey the test so it fades a bit but are available if needed
... the appraoch will be to keep the old stuff at teh bottom, greyed and keep active stuff at the top in plain text

AnnaBelle: One of the holdups is that I cannot post graphics to the wiki or to the W3C site. I have started a provate place to post. If any of the new folks want access to that, let me know and I will send you the URL privately

Shawn: But if it is a matter of posting to the site, I can do that quickly
... any other questions on this?

ATAG Outreach effort

Shawn: For today I just wanted to check in on the parameters of the sub-group

<Jan> I want to be on the ATAG meetings as well, but I can't do them on Wednesday

Sharron: I am sorry we missed this week, but we plan to meet at that time each week and I expect that to be effective

<paulschantz> A person I connected with on LinkedIn is interested in participating in outreach activities

Sharron: I think we should meet twice a week as a subgroup. Two times, one for Australia and Central US and another meeting time for Sylvie and Jan

Shawn: Or we can we just put time in this meeting to do that.

Sylvie: I cannot meet at the Wednesday meeting, it is the middle of the night

<shawn> * *Not* make it a formal Task Force because it's short-lived and therefore not worth the effort and we don't really need a separate mailing list since most work will take place in wiki.

<shawn> * For any e-mail, use the regular EOWG mailing list. Maybe start each subject line with [EOWG-ATAG promo] to facilitate skimming?

<shawn> * Take minimal rough minutes, but don't bother with cleanup -- or do you want to?

<shawn> * List minutes at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Minutes>

<shawn> * add the telecon time to the EOWG main page at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/#logs> for "transparency"

<shawn> * Include individuals' action items in the main EOWG page: <http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Action_Items>

Shawn: So we could have the ATAG meeting at the end of the main EO wekkly meeting
... anything that develops in a sub-group or Task Force must still be approved by all of EO
... becasue it is a short lived group, there is really no need for a Task Force and if we put a tag in the subject line, we can use the EO list.

Sharron: So it does make sense that our activities are more integrated into all of EO

Shawn: So is everyone comfortable with this approach?
... and a reminder that all of this work will be brought back and approved by all of EO
... so where we are now is that we have clarified what we need to do on Easy Checks, we have a timeline, so we can now wrap the full meeting and the ATAG subgroup can meet

Paul: Before we adjourn, I found someone on LinkedIn of someone who is purchasing LMS and was interested in participating in the outreach effort

<shawn> Participating in WAI http://www.w3.org/WAI/participation

Shawn: Is she interested in helping to develop the outreach plan or simply pushing along what we have done?

Paul: It seems like she is not really a member of the accessibility community yet but is volunteering to be active and to contribute.

Shawn: Can you direct her to what does it mean to be in EO and introduce her to me? If she is interested in 4 hours a week, I would be pleased to talk to her. We are very open to new members, especially those who can contribute time.
... EO has been strong on advocates and those who appraoch from a disability perspective and are very actively seeking business oriented participants.
... Now we can adjourn the main meeting and begin an ATAG sub meeting.

ATAG Promo

http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Outreach_for_ATAG_2.0

<Sylvie> .le akreadt retweeted these news and published on our web site. Sent message to our accessibility experts working with authoring tools.

<shawn> thanks, Sylvie

Sharron: Gives overview of current effort, asks Jan and Sylvie what parts they want to play?

Sylvie: Will review and comment on exisiting, can do translation, do reTweets and find those in France interested in testing, interviewing otehrs if we can agree on the questions

Jan: Reviewing existing documents and research specific people in tool making companies to reach out to

<shawn> +1 to Easy Checks being priority

Jan: I will complete the Easy Checks but expect to have time for ATAG as well. Would appreciate specific assignments

Sylvie: I have commented on Easy Checks and then move to ATAG

Shawn: Sylvie has done most of her work for Easy Checks, and is free to focus
... on ATAG

Sharron: Do you want a specific assignmet or are you ready to work on ATAG on your own ?

Sylvie: I will read through the wiki and comment on the exisitng docs

Shawn: There was a tremendous push to get it done for TPAC - it is in Candidate Recommendation. Next will be testing and validating the SCs and that push will start in December

Sharron: So we have our actions, is there anything else?

trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-12-11 13:23:20 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found Scribe: Sharron
Inferring ScribeNick: Sharron
Default Present: +1.615.417.aaaa, Shawn, +1.512.731.aabb, Sharron, Jan, AnnaBelle, Bim, PaulSchantz, Sylvie_Duchateau
Present: +1.615.417.aaaa Shawn +1.512.731.aabb Sharron Jan AnnaBelle Bim PaulSchantz Sylvie_Duchateau
Regrets: Andrew Vicki Howard (?)Suzette Wayne
Found Date: 08 Nov 2013
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2013/11/08-eo-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]