W3C

Web and Mobile Interest Group Teleconference

25 Sep 2013

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
schuki, dom, jorabin, marcosc,LisaDeLuca_IBM, DanSun, jsmanrique, stakagi, tobie
Regrets
Chair
Jo
Scribe
Natasha

Contents


<dom> Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-mobile/2013Sep/0091.html

Welcome

<Ig_Ibert_Bittencourt> Hi everyone

schuki: hi! I am Natasha from GSMA

marcosc: hi! I am another co-chair, welcome everyone

<Rumoroso> hi, I am connecting to voip... I am Rumoroso, from CTIC...

dom: i am also excited about being here, looking forward to the work we will be doing

jorabin: thanks everyone

IG Goals

<jorabin> IG Charter

jorabin: let's go through the goals

<Jose_Crespo> Hi there

jorabin: mission: The mission of the Web and Mobile Interest Group, part of the Mobile Web Initiative Activity, is to accelerate the development of Web technology so that it becomes a compelling platform for mobile applications and the obvious choice for cross platform development.
... this is our top level statement
... we have been talking about the meaning of mobile / apps
... it could be a waste of time to discuss this
... but this is important as it helps us to scope the group
... so it would be wise for us to define to help us work towards this scope

schuki: i am good with discussing this but would be good to have a cut off point
... so we don't get into a long and arduous discussion and don't get any work done!

<jorabin> to be clear, I think we should spend time discussing meaning of "mobile" and "apps" as much as it is useful to clarify our mission, namely "is to accelerate the development of Web technology so that it becomes a compelling platform for mobile applications and the obvious choice for cross platform development."

marcosc: we should spend time on this if there is controversy, but not spend too much time on this

Modus Operandi

jorabin: we will be using the mailing list
... public-web-mobile@w3c.org
... we have also decided to use the W3C Tracke

<dom> Trackerr for WebMob

<dom> ACTION-30?

<trackbot> ACTION-30 -- Dominique Hazaël-Massieux to Add a note about (or remove) 20% participation requirement from charter. -- due 2013-09-25 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/Mobile/IG/track/actions/30

dom: we can use this with IRC
... we can create action items with IRC

<dom> Tracker documentation

<scribe> ACTION: Natasha, include tracker link onto New Participants wiki page [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/09/25-webmob-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Error finding 'Natasha,'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/Mobile/IG/track/users>.

dom: you can now subscribe to action items

Teleconferences

jorabin: how long do we think we should be holding teleconfs?
... might be hard to say right now
... not sure on how much work we have
... any views from the participants?
... who can organise a poll to do teleconfs?

dom: me!

<jorabin> ACTION: Dom to organise a Doodle poll re teleconference times [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/09/25-webmob-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-39 - Organise a doodle poll re teleconference times [on Dominique Hazaël-Massieux - due 2013-10-02].

<jorabin> RESOLUTION: chairs to determine exact timing of upcoming teleconfs in lead up to TPAC

Face to Face

jorabin: natasha?

<jorabin> first Face to Face at TPAC, Thursday 14th Friday 15th Nov

http://www.w3.org/wiki/Mobile/TPAC_Face-to-Face

<jorabin> (Natasha notes the topics that she will be documenting in the wiki)

Github

marcosc: we have mentioned this on the mailing list
... we will do work on github with the documents
... some people may not be familar with github
... tobie has some great documentation for this
... we will put the documents and related topic online and manage this via repositories

<tobie> http://tobie.github.io/specs-on-github/

marcosc: at this point we are not in a position to know what the actions are
... but we will get there in the next few weeks

<jorabin> Webmob Github

tobie: i have another doc but it is targetted to testing
... W3C has some good ones, but i don't have more info

dom: I'm not sure of anything

jorabin: if people have a proble please let the chairs know

<tobie> https://help.github.com/

<jorabin> (Natasha will be writing about Github on our wiki)

schuki: i will make a wiki page, including both of tobie's links

Closing The Gap Report

dom: i sent some emails about this to the list
... I managed a group looking into why the web isn't right for developing apps
... one of my high level expectations for this group is to drive the agenda in this space
... this includes best practices, specs etc.
... I have also been adding all the interesting discussions into the gap analysis
... the Taxonomy of Mobile Apps is the document I am working on
... I welcome feedback on this
... I have 3 documents I have to submit to group
... these are frameworks for what makes mobile platform good and bad from user and provider perspective
... the next is applying this to the web as a platform and see where our weaknesses/strengths are and how to get better
... the final one is an analysis of applications, news consumption, media consumption, games etc (all categories) and where the web is strong and where it is weak and how we can improve this
... i will be submitting large documents covering these
... I hope these generate discussions so we can move forward on this

jorabin: the final one of those follows on from Matt Kelly's (Facebook) analysis right?

dom: yes, although we will want to start working from app categories rather than specific apps

<jorabin> schuki notes that the work that Dom is doing is really important for pushing back through W3C ...

<dom> App Type research

Standards for Webon Mobile Roadmap

<jorabin> s/Webin/Web on/

dom: i have been writing this document and releasing every quarter

<dom> Standards for Web on Mobile Roadmap

dom: it goes through many specs, what implementations exist, what is the status
... the next iteration is scheduled for the end of the month
... which is 5 days away!
... I am using the Highlights to help flesh out the document
... I want to know from this group how you can help me add to this or change this
... please let me know if you think something is missing or you want to add to this
... I can keep working on this, but if someone wants to take my place I do not mind!
... but I am fine with continuing it, I am happy to accept help
... I want to know how to make it more useful

jorabin: what are the advantages of this group taking over the document?

dom: if work comes from a W3C group rather than W3C staff the work has a little more credibility
... also if more people are involved then we can move faster as there are more people to help
... if the IG adopts the document it could get a balanced view

<jorabin> PROPOSED RESOLUTION: Webmob agrees to adopt "Standards for Web on Mobile"

<LisaDeLuca_IBM> +1 support

+1 support also

<stakagi> +1

<Ig_Ibert_Bittencourt> +1

<jsmanrique> +1

<jorabin> RESOLUTION: Webmob agrees to adopt "Standards for Web on Mobile"

dom: i will let the group know when the next iteration is published

<jorabin> noting that the next edition is under Dom's supervision as it is next week

AOB

dom: I would like to talk about the Taxonomy document
... there has been little feedback on the list
... please let me know if people want to continue working on it

<jorabin> Apps Taxonomy

<dom> Taxonomy of Mobile Application Platforms

<LisaDeLuca_IBM> Suggestion: whoever is maintaining the twitter account @w3c_webmob should add links from our calls to twitter. ex. github, tpac meeting, documents for review, etc.

marcosc: I haven't had time to review yet, let's give people some more time to review

<dom> LisaDeLuca_IBM, that makes plenty of sense indeed

marcosc: the doc is short, so we should be able to read it quickly

dom: the value of this document is when we discuss items such as 'packaged apps', 'native apps', 'webapps' etc we know what we are talking about
... we understand what each other are referring and talking about

<Ig_Ibert_Bittencourt> I think document is very useful. I will send feedback as soon as possible.

marcosc: I am struggling with the same thing with Sys Apps
... we have been trying to do away with these definitions

dom: we may just need to clarify why we *don't* want to make a distinction in some cases

marcosc: if we can stick to the 'one web' mantra that would be good
... I can add some things to this too over the next few weeks

jorabin: !
... thanks all!

<Ig_Ibert_Bittencourt> Thanks

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Dom to organise a Doodle poll re teleconference times [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/09/25-webmob-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Natasha, include tracker link onto New Participants wiki page [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/09/25-webmob-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-09-25 14:59:22 $