W3C

Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

31 Jan 2013

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Addison, Norbert, Felix, John, Richard
Regrets
Mati
Chair
Addison Phillips
Scribe
Addison Phillips

Contents


Agenda and Minutes

Action Items

<scribe> ACTION: addison: ping anne about encoding spec [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-176 - Ping anne about encoding spec [on Addison Phillips - due 2013-02-07].

<r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

close ACTION-158

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-158 Contact Aharon about creating tests for unicode-bidi: isolate.

close ACTION-172

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-172 Separately poll for final objections to making this meeting on thursdays at 1600 utc and, if none, move the meeting.

close ACTION-173

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-173 Update review instruction documentation.

<r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/review-instructions

Info Share

Scribing

discuss scribing on rotation or regularly

felix, addison, john: rotation okay

<scribe> ACTION: addison: establish scribing rotation [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-177 - Establish scribing rotation [on Addison Phillips - due 2013-02-07].

addison: or 3

felix: offers to scribe in 2 weeks

Ruby and Directionality in ITS2.0

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2013Jan/0078.html

<fsasaki> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt-comments/2013Jan/0144.html

scribe: had f2f last week

felix: thanks for all the comments
... went through everything
... wrote replies
... editing to follow
... thanks for the non-i18n comments
... wanted to ensure we mentioned
... don't know best way to address ruby/direction comments
... in terms of ruby did see consensus whether to clarify or drop
... both ruby and direction are in flux in html5
... implementers: could make normative, could take from its1.0
... but maybe a bad idea to make normative stuff that isn't in html5
... talking to PLH
... and robin berjon helping edit
... keep normative, but find way to update
... ??

addison: direction still same, only being extended (can extend later???)

norbert: keep as 1.0, but add note and refer to changes coming?

richard: will html5 finalize in time for its spec? probably no
... and can't be guaranteed
... with @dir, small issue in my mind
... at a global level, having such-and-such direction on an element is fine
... its suggests local market for rlo/lro?
... ruby also has this issue
... local markup is out of sync

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#ruby-implementation

felix: look at latest spec

<fsasaki> its:rubyRule selector="/text/body/img[1]/@alt"> <its:rubyText>World Wide Web Consortium</its:rubyText> </its:rubyRule>

felix: haven't seen anyone write xpath expression for ruby
... no one has impmented, rendering, etc.
... what would be the value?

norbert: because ruby not implements, should just drop?

richard: step back a sec.
... had in ITS1.0; were there implementations?
... do those count, if so?

<fsasaki> https://www.w3.org/International/its/tests

felix: impl tests for serializing data model

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/International/its/tests/test1/EX-ruby-pointer-1-result.xml

felix: if you process global ruby rules
... could make tests for 2.0
... no take up for past 5 years
... XLIFF 2.0 wants directionality

addison: unsurprising no ruby impl: assymetry in source/target

felix: time/funding pressure
... not stable at 2.0, have a note
... plan for 2.1 that could provide normative representation
... for direction and ruby for non-html environments (e.g. xliff)

norbert: just drop ruby because can't go to rec without 2 interop impls

addison: +1

richard: what to do with directionality?
... what's there is "important" and continues to be relevant, so keep
... is it that hard to implement??

<fsasaki> http://tinyurl.com/its20-testsuite-dashboard

felix: instability of html5 is only problem
... express in a note that changes could impact it

norbert: richard, you mentioned rlo/lro problem?

richard: just drop lro/rlo bit?

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/#directionality

felix: the 'meat' of directionality in ITS 1 or 2 is just four bullet points
... so can parse whatever is there into xliff

richard: think that xhmtl2 and css both have rlo/lro
... local elements could have overrides in block elements
... but html5 doesn't work that way

norbert: add note that rlo and lro not useful in html5 but may be in other formats

felix: just transport values, don't translate them
... XLIFF2 being developed
... question whether being transported or being interpreted
... but ITS is just the transport, not making this decision

<scribe> ACTION: norbert: coordinate proposing text for ITS directionality with richard [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-178 - Coordinate proposing text for ITS directionality with richard [on Norbert Lindenberg - due 2013-02-07].

<joconner1> another obligation at this time.

Publishing BOM article

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2013Jan/0072.html

richard: propose...
... 1, publish new bom document

<r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/new/qa-byte-order-mark-new.en


... 2. direct people away from old doc
... link here:

<r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-utf8-bom should be discontinued

<r12a> use a server redirect

norbert: approve

addison: approve

john: approve

<scribe> ACTION: richard: publish BOM document [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-179 - Publish BOM document [on Richard Ishida - due 2013-02-07].

AOB?

<scribe> ACTION: addison: file individual comments on css3-text-decoration [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action05]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-180 - File individual comments on css3-text-decoration [on Addison Phillips - due 2013-02-07].

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: addison: establish scribing rotation [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: addison: file individual comments on css3-text-decoration [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: addison: ping anne about encoding spec [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: norbert: coordinate proposing text for ITS directionality with richard [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: richard: publish BOM document [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.137 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-01-31 17:41:13 $