W3C

Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

07 Nov 2012

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Addison, Richard, Mati, Felix, Dave
Regrets
Norbert
Chair
Addison Phillips
Scribe
Addison Phillips

Contents


Agenda and Minutes

Action Items

<aphillip> Update qa-byte-order-mark document

<aphillip> Prepare some examples of ITS2NIF showing NFC issue for consideration next week

<aphillip> close ACTION-145

<trackbot> ACTION-145 Prepare some examples of ITS2NIF showing NFC issue for consideration next week closed

<r12a> David, I just muted you on IRC

<aphillip> close ACTION-147

<trackbot> ACTION-147 Send TPAC registration reminder closed

<r12a> because of echo

<aphillip> close ACTION-152

<trackbot> ACTION-152 Write summary of before/after issue for consideration by WG closed

<r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

<aphillip> close ACTION-153

<trackbot> ACTION-153 Reserve time on zakim for tpac calls closed

<aphillip> close ACTION-154

<trackbot> ACTION-154 Send invites to HTML editors to coordinate with richard over tpac meeting closed

<aphillip> close ACTION-155

<trackbot> ACTION-155 Update our time to 4 PM UTC closed

<aphillip> Write tests for unicode-bidi: isolate

<aphillip> matial: there is a group in israel for writing tests like this

<aphillip> ... maybe give to them?

<aphillip> ... talk to Aharon

<aphillip> richard: good idea

<r12a> ACTION: Richard to contact Aharon about creating tests for unicode-bidi: isolate [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/11/07-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-158 - Contact Aharon about creating tests for unicode-bidi: isolate [on Richard Ishida - due 2012-11-14].

<r12a> close ACTION-156

<trackbot> ACTION-156 Write tests for unicode-bidi: isolate closed

<aphillip> Tell CSS about WG consensus on case folding

<aphillip> richard: told relevant people but not writing yet

<aphillip> ... Tab asked a complex question I didn't know answer to

Info Share

TPAC fallout?

<aphillip> richard: first two days I sat in reception and accosted people

<aphillip> ... met a GOOG engineer mgr from JP

<aphillip> ... talked about ruby model in HTML5

<aphillip> ... he had requirements to implement double-sided ruby

<aphillip> addison: I'm also keen on double-sided ruby

<aphillip> richard: also spoke to opera about impl

<aphillip> ... also got some contacts to chase at apple

<aphillip> richard: html planning to go to CR in about a week

<aphillip> richard: had a session with html5 wg

<aphillip> ... half of session taken up by talking about ruby

<aphillip> ... and there was take up by html folk

<matial> Sound has become very sporadic

<aphillip> ... and fantasai + robin berjon have task to re-write ruby as an HTML5 extension

<aphillip> addison: she's interested in complex ruby?

<aphillip> richard: right. concerned that this may put existing stuff at risk?

<aphillip> ... they will try to fast track proposal so implementers can get to fast

<aphillip> felix: talked to kobayashi

<aphillip> ... attending upcoming epub workshop in NY

<aphillip> ... some people are aware of issues

<aphillip> ... would be good if folks attended workshop

<aphillip> ... February workship I think?

<aphillip> richard: presentation about bidi to HTML5

<aphillip> ... two new values of @dir

<aphillip> ... current description seemed asymmetric

<aphillip> ... and there were problems with using <bdi>

<aphillip> ... particularly microformats

<aphillip> ... so Aharon wrote a blog post draft

<aphillip> ... will publish soon

<aphillip> ... don't want to get rid of <bdi>

<aphillip> ... but really we want a way to get isolation without putting <bdi> everywhere

<aphillip> ... Unicode adding LRI, RLI, FSI, and PDI

<aphillip> ... so implications to markup and css

<aphillip> richard: wean authors off rtl/ltr to use the isolates

<aphillip> ... names not settled

<aphillip> ... and rewrite articles

<aphillip> ... would reduce size a lot

<aphillip> ... html5 folks suggested new attribute @isolate ??

<aphillip> richard: we need to write an HTML5 extension

<aphillip> ... robin berjon will help us

<aphillip> ... if we can get two browsers to implement, then may be able to fold in

<aphillip> ... good chance of that if we get two implementations

<aphillip> addison: anyone lined up?

<aphillip> richard: no

<aphillip> ... first step is publish blog post

<aphillip> richard: Korean

<aphillip> ... making some progress. no one from korean office at tpac?

<aphillip> ... did find chinese office person

<matial> I have to leave now. I may be able to reconnect from my car, maybe not.

<aphillip> ... folks from india office

<aphillip> ... may get new recruit which could help

<aphillip> richard: also spoke to Tab about counter-styles

<aphillip> ... close to publication

<aphillip> richard: norbert attended webapps and they talked about input/IME spec

<aphillip> ... don't have details

<aphillip> richard: reconfirmed process for submitting bugs to HTML

<aphillip> ... html5.1 soon

<aphillip> richard: before/after decision put off?

<aphillip> ... koji seemed happy about that

<aphillip> ... they did discount head/foot

<aphillip> ... didn't like before-block or after-block or two word things would be a good idea

<aphillip> richard: talked case sensitivity

<aphillip> ... and back to css with "Unicode case folding"

<aphillip> richard: met with MLW-LT

<aphillip> ... under tight schedule

<aphillip> ... don't know how to address ruby or directionality due to other work going on

<aphillip> ... so blanking for now?

<aphillip> felix: non-normative text for now

<aphillip> ... with a note to that effect

<aphillip> ... may be able to have another LC if more material arrives in a timely way

<aphillip> richard: no one to implement?

<aphillip> ... are implementation of ruby or dir simply a web page?

<aphillip> felix: just get spec to say right thing

<aphillip> ... for implementations... happy with what gets us through w3c process

<aphillip> ... and we have some examples that make use of the metadata somehow

<aphillip> ... just a web page would make me happy

<aphillip> richard: met with xliff folks as well

<aphillip> ... who had similar questions

<aphillip> ... bidi is different from ruby

<fsasaki> for the record, we have metadata items that are applied in applications, e.g. an HTML2XLIFF tool - we just need to make sure that we get through the w3c process if the dir / ruby tests are "just web pages" (would be fine by me, just mentioning this)

<fsasaki> +1 to wednesday, great breakout session(s)

Encoding document

<aphillip> richard: anne walked through it

<aphillip> ... norbert seemed okay

<aphillip> ... have a problem since anne might not be able to edit the document

<aphillip> ... can participate in the IG

<aphillip> addison: will be the editor or at least our editor

<aphillip> richard: also worked through outstanding html5 issues

<aphillip> ... ran out of time with html5

<aphillip> ... issues raised by cameron jones related to using locale info

<aphillip> ... did talk about that all issues with html5

<aphillip> ... need to talk more to carmeron

<aphillip> richard: slightly disagree wtih addison; think we should have a separate attribute for calendar

<aphillip> richard: worked through writing-mode issues list all issues

<aphillip> ... koji to talk to elika about that

AOB?

<DavidClarke> Nothing from me

<aphillip> only one issue left for writing-mode

<DavidClarke> will call be at 16:00 UTC next week?

<DavidClarke> I believe so

<DavidClarke> bye

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Richard to contact Aharon about creating tests for unicode-bidi: isolate [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/11/07-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.137 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012-11-21 20:27:32 $