W3C

eGov Interest Group

19 Oct 2012

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Sandro, PhilA, +1.508.333.aaaa, +1.202.684.aabb, GannonDick, Jeanne, bhyland, +1.413.652.aacc, DeirdreLee, +1.843.682.aaee, +1.703.281.aaff, olyerickson, bdhandspicker, DanielBennett, Owen, BrandNieman, [IPcaller]
Chair
Jeanne Holm
Scribe
olyerickson, PhilA

Contents


Caller ID-ing

Reminder of Agenda: http://www.w3.org/egov/wiki/Main_Page

Social Media in Taiwan

Apologies from TH Schee (at hospital)

Jeanne_: We'll postpone his preso

ideas for Schee to communicate?

PhilA: Best is schedule another time

* play it by ear

Social Media at Nasa

Jeanne_: Link in wiki http://www.slideshare.net/jeanneholm1/knowledge-sharing-and-social-media-at-nasa

<PhilA> Draft summary of the various presentations we've heard about social media use around the world, currently in a Word doc at http://www.w3.org/egov/wiki/images/7/73/W3C_eGov_Social_Media.doc

Wanted to communicate the excitement about what NASA is doing

Jeanne_: (garbled)

<bhyland> Could the IPcall please mute their line … we're hearing a lot of background noise from you

* Slide 2: Generational differences in sharing

* Slide 3: Trust & Reciprocity

<sandro> bhyland, I'm afraid the noise is at Jeanne's location

<bhyland> oh.

<bhyland> better

* using social media to create a relationship with people who care about NASA

* NASA unique as an agency

* Slide 4: The Learning Journey

* Slide 5: Example from NASA portal: "the usual stuff..."

* Alide 6: NASA internal collaboration links

* Slide 7: Using semantic technologies to find NASA experts (hmmm, way cool)

** using social media to both reach OUT and to reach IN

* But that wasn't seen as enough based on the challenge given to NASA by the president

* a different kind of engagement is required (paradigm shift required)

* Slide 8: Paradigm Shift/competive edge

Slide 11: Facebook utilization

* implementation of various surveys using FB as a platform

* be where they are

* NASA has lots of pages: a page for each mission

* NASA wants to be flexible based on what people want/what they're interest in

* Personality of page needs to reflect the people who congregate there

Took successes from FB to other platforms: YouTube

Slide 12: iTunes deployment (podcasts)

Jeanne_: (wicked garbled)

Slide 14: First to tweet from space

* Lots of astronauts on Twitter

Slide 15: Second Life

* engagement of students, etc in various activities

* key opportunity is to learn what communication is working and what isn't

* find out what people don't understand

Slide 17: Center for Global Change

* learned that many people don't understasnd the issues around global warming

* 2nd life used to walk avatar through the problem

* ie use of visualization through s.m. platforms to explain

Slide 19: Usage of crowdsourcing

* utilization of game technologiu

<PhilA> serious games... now there's a meme...

Slide 20: View into virtual view of surface of Mars

* allows people to explore, engage as the robot is engaging

* NASA wanted to inspire in ways that traditional modes of engagement wouldn't

Some bumps along the way

Very cost effective

Questions for Jeanne_ ?

PhilA: No one has the galleries et.al. of NASA

* could anyone else do what NASA does?

A: Other orgs may not have the followers, but

principle of going to where the people are still holds

* In the case of NASA, urgent to engage peopel the people are the stakeholders

* NASA took some chances, some risks, but worth it to improve engagement

<PhilA> olyerickson: I had a question... The general concept of building social networks around agencies... NASA is unique, lots of people care about it

<PhilA> olyerickson: but there are other parts of the US gov who are exploring other methods of reaching its followers

<PhilA> olyerickson: For example, people are concerned about social services etc. i.e. there are others

Jeanne_: Can't think of an agency that ISN'T using s.m. in some wau

* example: CIA is focusing on improvement; recruiting people to "help out"

* so even an agency that doesn't usually share is reaching out

* another example: state department

* concept: not trying to do everything, but focus with the group(s) you want to reach out to and be where they are

Future Topics

Jeanne_: has been gathering potential speakers on social media

<Jeanne_> http://www.w3.org/egov/wiki/images/7/73/W3C_eGov_Social_Media.doc for summary

Jeanne_: Wants our feedback on how to organize the above

* We could come up with "best practices" etc

PhilA: everything but a Recommendation(tm)

Jeanne_: Most interesting thing: what objectives various different govts had in using social media

* Presenters didn't intend their methods to be considered "best practices" but rather simple examples of methods

Lessons summarized are important

Q for group: Is this useful?

<DanielBennett> queue

<Jeanne_> Should add in the The interaction between government and the tool providers. Terms of service.

<Jeanne_> DanielBennett: Legal identifiers, identity issues, licensing should all have a section addressed to it

DanielBennett: WOuld liek to see more detail on legal et.al. on

<Jeanne_> DanielBennett: What is the best way that protects citizens and government's role in use of social media.

* e.g. who moderates, what are the issues

DanielBennett: The point is, there are lots of issues; they need to be laid out

* eg: accessibility

<Jeanne_> DanielBennett: Accessibility issues, use, copyrights, privacy of citizen information all needs to be understood before "just standing up" a social media capability.

* a whole gamet that protects citizens, ensures govt abides by its laws, etc

<Owen> Here's a plan for use of social media by educational institutions: http://xml.gov/stratml/carmel/GSMwStyle.xml

<DanielBennett> willing to help build out the issues i was mentioning

<Jeanne_> Note that Rachel Flagg's presentation discussed some of this for the US government: http://www.howto.gov/tos

<PhilA> olyerickson: On a slightly different point... we're doing some work with NIST on first responders/leveraging social networks

<Jeanne_> olyerickson: We are doing work on social networks and first responders

<PhilA> olyerickson: the question comes up around when you create a community cf. when you leverage an existing one

<Owen> I will render Jeanne's proposed objectives in StratML format.

<PhilA> olyerickson: NASA has its own platform but you're also using other people's

<Jeanne_> Thanks Owen! You may want to wait until I get one more draft out

<PhilA> olyerickson: You said you have multiple FB pages to meet different interests

<PhilA> olyerickson: You need to go to where people are... that multi-modal approach is more of a methodology

<PhilA> Jeanne_: (breaking up a little)

Jeanne_: At W3C Accessibility Conference

Using accessibility as an example

<PhilA> Jeanne_: Only 40% of the US population has meaningful access to the internet

"Don't forget traditional ways to engage the public"

<PhilA> Jeanne_: So social media isn't everything. Still need traditional methods - town hall meetings, snail mail etc

* trad. media provides important way to extend the conversation from social media

* conversation begins in social media and can go where it needs to

<GannonDick> thinks, the Flat Earth shouldn't be abandoned just yet

<DanielBennett> happy to help add that new section

<PhilA> +1 to a Google doc for a collaborative space

<DanielBennett> re: government rules meet social media

<PhilA> or the wiki

[what is the topic?]

Jeanne_: Use of social media to ensure people are being heard

* effectiveness and approriateness of mobile devices

<DanielBennett> is there a subcommittee that is overseeing the editing of the social media "note"?

* use of structured methods

Summary: "Tools and Methods" were all over the place

Scribe's note: We're still talking about the eGov Social Media "Summary Document"

Jeanne_: Will add e.g. issues suggested by DanielBennett
... We've had O(dozen) presentations over last 3 mos

* a huge amount of material

* but only a small sampling

Next steps:

* Community Directory

* Stakeholder engagement

* Feedback Loops

* <insert Page 3 "Key Findings" bullets here>

Jeanne_: Those are *her* key findings, what did others hear?

* PhilA: Thanks Jeanne_ a lot of hard work to go through and summarize

* hearing the different perspectives e.g. Oman has been eye-opening

* Can eGov group take this on and "knock it into shapre"

* big but interesting task for group to take it on

<DanielBennett> We should have a committee that meets in addition to this main meeting to build this document

Jeanne_: When we re-formed group, we heard "something" should be produced

* it is an IG not a WG, there are limits

<DanielBennett> I helped do this with the past group note

* but this document and a COmmunity Directory are two things that CAN be done

+1 to what we were hoping for

+1 to helping in a large or small way ;)

<Owen> Jeanne's draft objectives are now available in StratMLformat at http://xml.gov/stratml/carmel/OSMG.xml

<Jeanne_> Thanks Owen

Q: Can this doc be W3C wikified in a W3C acceptable way?

<Jeanne_> DanielBennett: Created a document before with lead people for each section, and separate meetings that helped to work the editorial process

Not sure what the work product DanielBennett is referring to might be

<Owen> I have tried to engage wiki vendors in incorporating the StratML standard into their services ... thus far without discernable results

* specifics I mean

Q: What is "the format" A "Group Note?"

s/decide/understand/

DanielBennett: Time constraints need to not be "loosey-goosey"

+1 to helping (assuming I understand what I'm helping on)

<GannonDick> Owen, maybe I could help with a Strat

<GannonDick> ml to

<GannonDick> oo which exports

<DeirdreLee> +1 for information and data sharing section

<GannonDick> media wiki

Q: Will this be W3C hosted []yes []no

<PhilA> Let me or Sandro know if and when you want to book a slot on the Zakim bridge

Q: Will this be in wiki format []yes []no

<PhilA> Yes, olyerickson, it will be W3C hosted

Q: Will this be public from the start []yes []no

<Jeanne_> It is public right now.

<Owen> I will contribute in any way that I can, both in format and substance

DeirdreLee: Will contribute information & data sharing

<Jeanne_> I would think we should keep it transparent, although as it moves through some iterations it make be in discussion.

GannonDick: Can do StratML magic to it

<Owen> Gannon, you are already referenced at http://xml.gov/stratml/index.htm#Part3

<Owen> Will look forward to seeing StratML wikified

<DanielBennett> http://www.w3.org/TR/gov-data/

PhilA: Encourages us to not be scared

Q: Does W3C process even apply (if this is not a Recommendation(tm) )

sandro: Every contributor MUST be a member of the group and follows IP policies

Jeanne_: Initiate group member list etc yada yada

DanielBennett: The wiki platform does a great job

<Jeanne_> yada yada = make sure people have agreed to W3C intellectual guidelines and policies

* even "pencil and paper" (definition? ;) )

PhilA: If tehre is something you need/want control over, DON'T contribute it...

DanielBennett: If you contribute, your name will be listed (but not good for tenure... )

Jeanne_: (garbled)

Wrapup

<DanielBennett> yw

Thanks all around

Special thanks to DanielBennett ( Jeanne_ owes him a pint)

<DanielBennett> excellent, thanks

Future Topics

Trying to find someone with knowledge on interaction, policies, etc

Community Directory

<PhilA> scribe: PhilA

<bhyland> Please keep in mind that the GLD WG has a deliverable that is a community directory, see http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Community_Directory_Discussion_Summary

<Brand> Re I have tried to engage wiki vendors in incorporating the StratML standard into their services - I think we have gone beyond StratML with MindTouch TCS: http://www.mindtouch.com/solutions/knowledge_base

Jeanne_: I want to go haed and make the building of the directory as an asynchronous activity
... want to write a wiki page to set out what we should try and capture

<bhyland> A working directory that will improve with iteration & input from the eGov IG is here, http://dir.w3.org

Jeanne_: doesn't need to be a verbal discussion, just need to get on with it

bdhandspicker: Doing is better than talking about it

<bhyland> We're open to making it an Open Data directory ...

<bdhandspicker> Clarification - precise quote from me: "Sometimes doing is better than talking something to death."

Crossover directory http://www.crossover-project.eu/

<bhyland> ++1 to what PhilA is saying, it gardener is required to maintain a garden

Jeanne_: Sounds good...

bhyland: +1 to PhilA - it's hard to get this going. We have a directory built on W3C standards top to bottom. What we need is the input
... We need more data and maybe a better UI but we should combine our efforts and not dilute them

<Brand> We are working on a directory of government "big data" sets and projects for Congress and the Federal Government: http://semanticommunity.info/AOL_Government/Emerging_Technology_SIG_October_18_Meeting_Big_Data_Committee_Overview

bhyland: We should be promoting things like the UK's ODI etc. through the directory
... I would be disappointed if there were multiple directories - we should have one good one.

Jeanne_: And yes, in this case, more is not better
... I think it would be appropriate to include the topcs we're looking at. I'll look at the directory

<bhyland> Caveat: Working code that has a few committed "gardeners" is critical to a community site.

<Owen> If the directory complies with applicable standards for interoperability, does it matter whether there is one or many?

bdhandspicker: I was just going to remind folks that not all gov data is open data
... But I'm sure that the directory could capture experts in data that isn't open

<Owen> I'd like to post my own data for the directory(ies) on my own site.

bhyland: Yes - just because you might come from a company that does OD, that doesn't mean you only do OD

PhilA: I think that's one of the functions that the Directory has - it's all built on RDF and SPARQL

^^ for Owen

Jeanne: The last thing to mention is ICEGOV in Albany. Both I and Tomas will be there

PhilA: So will Crossover project btw

Jeanne: Next project will be Open data. What I want to do is to put out a call for speakers in the next 2 months or so. Including private gov data etc.
... we'll be organising those sessions.
... I think the two time zone thing is working - we've had some good comments on that
... Thanks everyone for their contributions

Adjourned

<bdhandspicker> I'll scribe next time.... reading the 101 now....

<bdhandspicker> bye

<DanielBennett> same here. thanks.

<Brand> Jeanne. Thanks, I have to go to another meeting - I posted my suggestions

<DanielBennett> bye

<Jeanne_> Thanks everyone!

[End of minutes]