Media Pipeline Task Force Teleconference

31 May 2012


See also: IRC log


Clarke, Mark_Vickers, Kaz, Niklas, Kevin, Bob, John, Juhani
Clarke, Franck(?), ddolwin(?), Jason, Mark_Vickers, Kaz, Niklas, Kevin, John, Bob, Juhani, Joe, Mark_Watson, Glenn, Aaron


Discussion about video in RTC context and whether we need to harmonize approaches

Clarke: Agenda. Talk about collaboration with web RTC

<kaz> Clarke's message on WebRTC

MarkV: Issue is I don't see distinction or clear line between RTC webcam video or video playback
... it would be better if all these were handled in a consistent way

Bob: the web rtc new API but don't think there is a fundamental disprepancy in approach

Clarke: seems like we should still follow up and review our requirements and compare with RTC specs to see if they still apply

<Johnsim> http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-webrtc-20111027/

John: review of their working draft would be a good next step.

<kaz> http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-webrtc-20120209/ is the latest one?

<kaz> WebRTC participants list

All: discussion about how to find someone to review the spec. Is there anyone who is on the web RTC group? or any volunteers to join?

<kaz> by member company

Clark: we'll put out a call to see if we can get someone to work on this

Kaz: there is a newer February public draft that should be reviewed

<kaz> not a LCWD, but an ordinary wd

Bug review

Clark: Some activity on bug 12399 that we should review
... 13599 also, and we should discuss about how to handle mapping

Bob: problem is how can a user-agent convey data that is in text or metadata tracks
... made some proposals based on webm, ogg, mp4, mpeg2 ts

<kaz> Bug 13625

Bob: focus was how to make concise as possible so user agent can easily inspect

<kaz> Bug 13359

Bob: Is this going to be part HTML5? where is this going to be written down

Mark: The transport specs could reference this. It makes sense for web browsers manufacturers to be able to refer to a central location. But agree it doesn't need to be in the HTML5 itself. Perhaps good place to be in WHATWG

Bob: Don't think it belongs on the transport spec itself

Clarke: like the idea of a list of pointers

<Mark_Vickers> http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/RelExtensions

<Mark_Vickers> http://microformats.org/wiki/existing-rel-values

<Mark_Vickers> http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/MetaExtensions

Bob: think the long explanation could be a W3C spec

Mark: these examples show a collection of useful pointers and lists, see the RelExtensions. Seems we want to do something similar

Bob: lets comment on bug a suggest this and bring up question on where to write this down
... order of tracks in track lists should be the same as the order the streams appear in their respective video formats

Mark: should we add another bug about this lack of clarity?

Kaz: HTML5 last call 2 date is not fixed yet

Clarke: continuing to work through the changes on the requirements docs

<joesteele> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/1/html-media/results

Clarke: feel it would be better to continue discussing next time

Joe: time for secure media 'sub' group is now posted. Looks like 8am PDT and the call will be chaired by Paul Cotton

<kaz> Paul Cotton's message

<kaz> In the above message, Paul says:
The time slot that raised the greatest participation AND the least dissent is Tuesday at 15:00 UTC:
1500 UTC is 8am PDT, 11am EDT, 5pm Paris, 11pm Beijing, 12midnight Tokyo/Seoul, 1am Sydney, 3am Auckland
Based on these poll results the WG Chairs have decided to convene the first HTML WG Media teleconference on Tue Jun 12 at 1500 UTC. After Jun 12 this teleconference will occur weekly.

I will Chair the first meeting and will send out an agenda for this meeting before Fri June 8. I will work with the editors of the Encrypted Media [1] and Media Source [2] proposals to set the agendas for the initial meetings.


<kaz> tx, jason!

<Clarke> Thanks for scribing, Jason

<kaz> [ adjourned ]

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.128 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/05/31 16:20:43 $