HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

09 Feb 2012


See also: IRC log


Cooper, Janina_Sajka, John_Foliot, Rich, Mike, paulc, Cynthia_Shelly
Steve_Faulkner, Laura_Carlson
MichaelC, MikeSmith


<trackbot> Date: 09 February 2012

<MikeSmith> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Feb/0063.html

<MichaelC> agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Feb/0040.html

<MichaelC> scribe: MichaelC

When to file change proposals?

drop item 7

drop item 8

drop item 9

drop item 10

drop item 11

drop item 12

<paulc> Paul indicated that anyone with a change proposal they are working on should definitely file what they by the on time date.

<paulc> There note should if possible indicate if there are any areas they plan to continue to work on so that other WG member know if the CP is complete or not.

<paulc> The Chairs are especially willing to see CPs evovle in the face of input and/or discussion on the email list.

Reminder of the Deadline for reopen requests based on New Information

<MikeSmith> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Feb/0063.html

ms: important to be aware of the deadlines in the above mail

Meta name generator

js: TF approved Steve's change proposal


Leif has put out another one

ms: note some of the reopen requests need to be refined further

<scribe can't find pointer to Leif's CP>

there will be a preliminary review for well formedness of CPs

need to be prepared to respond quickly to issues raised

issue-192: title attribute (Steve)

-> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/notitlev2 Updated title attribute CP from Steve

<note this is tagged to HTML-ISSUE-80, not HTML-ISSUE-192>

<MikeSmith> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/notitle_reality

js: this is a reconsideration request for HTML-ISSUE-80

ms: finding above CP as well

mc: think this is and OBE version but it's unclear

ms: think Steve is on top of pushing the CP to the HTML WG

js: important so will ping

js; has been reviewed by text sub-team, just editorial edits now

issue-193: remove CSS example (Steve)

ms: no CP available?

js: on Steve's plate, don't recall due date

issue was that markup in example was not a11y friendly

ms: so naive user might get misled even though it's informative

<MikeSmith> http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html

due 15 February 2012

issue-194: media transcript (John)

jf: there are two methods to pursue

<scribe missed details>

not sure whether to submit one, both as alternatives, what

js: both would work and we don't have preference between them, right?

jf: right, we need programmatic link to transcripts

can be done with @kind or with a new attribute

<scribe> new attribute might have more resistance

ms: discussed in media sub-team?

js: not recently

there has been pushback on new values for @kind

ms: should get others to support an approach and contribute to the CP

issue-199: ARIA-attribute processing requirements (MichaelC)

<MikeSmith> scribe: MikeSmith

<MichaelC> ARIA processing CP

MichaelC: view is that this CP is to clarify how to do lexical processing of ARIA in HTML
... it copies info from elsewhre
... says what the syntax of the value of the role attribute is
... and some additional conformance requirements, then how to process it
... similiarly, for state and property attributes
... So I believe that should clarify the lexical processing requirements for ARIA

<scribe> scribe: MichaelC

issue-201: canvas fallback (Frank)

rs: expect Frank to have a CP by this weekend

<richardschwerdtfe> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Canvas_hit_testing

due 16 Feb

ms: also need to move that to the HTML wiki

issue-202: figcaption word-count (Judy)

js: believe Judy still hopes to get this in

it's a nice-to-have, not essential

so if it's not in, we'll be ok

ms: would be nice to get it done so it's not hanging

<richardschwerdtfe> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/FocusRingTextBaseline

issue-131 caret selection notification


<richardschwerdtfe> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/CaretSelectionRevised

rs: these are two canvas proposals

not alternatives, they work together to solve the problems

also think current state for focus ring isn't satisfactory yet

item 24 = April face-to-face meetings for HTML and WebApps

April face-to-face meetings for HTML and WebApps


ms: there's a proposal to have meetings between WebApps and HTML in Silicon Valley 10 - 13 April 2012

question is whether this TF should meet then also

<MikeSmith> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012JanMar/thread.html#msg549

TF could meet on Monday 9 April, Saturday 14 April, or overlap with WebApps on 10 - 11 April

mc: can poll for a) support a FtF this year, b) support joining this batch of meetings, c) specific dates in that week preferred?

js: want to know about agenda

mc: picks up on some TPAC discussion about Web performance

also some API work, that's not currently in HTML but affects it

pc: HTML also needs to start thinking of what's next in HTML

<MikeSmith> related to HTML.next - http://www.w3.org/html/wg/next/markup/

js: makes sense for these meetings to take place

<MikeSmith> stuff that will be going into WebApps charter - http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/CharterChanges#Additions_Agreed

pc: FtF at last TPAC was considered valuable

would run the HTML portion of this un-conference style

js: PF would be interested in this stuff anyways

value in TF joining in the forwards thinking

pc: also in poll should point out nearby religious holidays

Text alternatives

mc: have a change proposal that functions as part of a reopen request for HTML-ISSUE-31, but don't feel confident in it


js: Steve is working on another aspect that is more important

need to decide what to do with these in the next day and half

<scribe> meeting: HTML Accessibility Task Force

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/02/09 17:07:15 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/10 - 12/10 - 13/
Found Scribe: MichaelC
Inferring ScribeNick: MichaelC
Found Scribe: MikeSmith
Inferring ScribeNick: MikeSmith
Found Scribe: MichaelC
Inferring ScribeNick: MichaelC
Scribes: MichaelC, MikeSmith
ScribeNicks: MichaelC, MikeSmith
Default Present: Cooper, Janina_Sajka, John_Foliot, Rich, Mike, paulc, Cynthia_Shelly
Present: Cooper Janina_Sajka John_Foliot Rich Mike paulc Cynthia_Shelly
Regrets: Steve_Faulkner Laura_Carlson
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Feb/0040.html
Found Date: 09 Feb 2012
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-a11y-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]