Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

06 Oct 2011

See also: IRC log


Harper_Simon, Abou-Zahra_Shadi, Brajnik_Giorgio, Christos_Kouroupetroglou, Mario_Bartusic (via IRC)
Conway_Vivienne, O'Connor_Joshue, Vigo_Markel, Thiessen_Peter, Yesilada_Yeliz


Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments)

<Mario-Batusic> I get every time error: this passcode is not valide. What is it?

Final Agreement on Evaluation Procedure - http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Paper_Selection_Criteria

<giorgio> that's fine with me

SH: prefer to defer to next week

<christos> yes...

SH: to give all the editors an opportunity to discuss

Formulate some of the questions and topics the chairs could raise on the panel

SH: questions for the panel from the symposium chairs

GB: have to question that i think are important
... certainly not the only ones
... (1) how to measure the quality of the metric
... (2) how to estimate the error the metric does
... so dealing with validity
... then another group of question based on the conclusions drawn from the metrics

<Mario-Batusic> Unfortunately, I cannot get in call - will be in chat only.

GB: did you select particular websites based on that?

SAZ: also thinking about applicability or maturity of metrics
... are they ready to implement?

GB: yes, how demanding they are
... or how expensive

CK: also wondring about the application of the metrics
... can they be used in search engines? in other production chains?
... how they can be applied in real life situations

GB: do mean we need to qualify the scenarios in the metrics we use?

CK: no, asking the authors how they see their metrics be deployable
... if they think they can be used in other applications

SH: also application parameters
... how apt they are for large websites, or if they are for specific purposes etc
... maybe a matrix of what coverage we have

GB: taxonomy of different metrics and implications when to use what type of metrics?

SH: as well as the taxonomy, what parameters we think would be desirable for certain types of metrics
... if it is automatable, longitudinal or generic etc

SAZ: sounds like a matrix of metrics

SH: also questions like "do think it is useful to have X-type metrics" and "if so, do we have any?"
... identify gaps of areas where we have no metrics that address concrete needs
... and identify metrics that are applicable to different areas like webapps, ARIA, etc

GB: can think of those as a particular questions
... but leave open depending on contributions

SAZ: would be a great goal of the consolidated report
... to map out the demand/availability situation
... but maybe not directly a question *during* the symposium
... maybe need questions to help achieve this purpose

GB: agree

SH: yes, this roadmap for researchers and developers is important
... how many questions do we need?

GB: around three questions?

SH: we have more than that but dependent on the type of submissions?

GB: yes, needs to be rooted on their particular experience

SH: do we need more discussion here or put on a wiki?

GB: put on a wiki and discuss more next week

SH: will start the page and put it on the agenda for next week

SAZ: or put on the existing page?

SH: might make page too long

SAZ: agree but make sure to interlink

Advertising for the CfP

SH: do we need more?
... are they where they should be?

GB: maybe send out a reminder two weeks before the deadline

SAZ: will check with shawn on preparing reminder announcement
... think the spread seems quite broad but no submissions yet

SH: usually on the night of the deadline

<giorgio> yes, we can do that once we have the conference "program"


<scribe> ACTION: shadi look for possibility of reminder tools [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/10/06-rd-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-4 - Look for possibility of reminder tools [on Shadi Abou-Zahra - due 2011-10-13].

iCalendar subscription for due actions

<giorgio> gcalendar is ok with me

<giorgio> google clanedar

<christos> google is fine with me

<giorgio> I'm fine

[discussion of combining tracker with google calendar for reminders]

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: shadi look for possibility of reminder tools [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/10/06-rd-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/10/07 15:03:32 $