Web Events WG Voice Conference

04 Oct 2011


See also: IRC log


Art_Barstow, Dzung_Tran, Olli_Pettay, Matt_Brubeck, Suman_Sharma, Ted_Mielczarek


<smaug> mbrubeck: once I've written some more, perhaps you could push those to w3c hg

<scribe> ScribeNick: ArtB

<scribe> Scribe: Art

Date: 04 October 2011

<smaug> yes


AB: I submitted a draft agenda to the list on October 3 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011OctDec/0000.html. Any change requests?

<ssharma2> +1.408.653.aabb is Suman_Sharma


AB: any short announcements for today?

Touch Event v1 Last Call

AB: reminder the comment deadline for the Touch Events v1 LC is October 11 http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-Touch-Events-20110913/. I think the comment tracking document includes all of the comments submitted to date <http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/wiki/TouchEvents-LCWD-13-Sep-2011
... if I missed anything, please let me know

Issue-19: Align initTouchEvent parameters with Webkit

AB: this is a standing issue <http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/issues/19>. Any feedback from Webkit community?
... I haven't seen anything

MB: I have not

AB: this leaves us where we were last time
... this is related to Issue-23 ...

Issue-23: Add a DOM4-style constructor to create and initialize TouchEvent objects.

AB: we discussed Issue-23 http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/issues/23 last week http://www.w3.org/2011/09/27-webevents-minutes.html#item04 and there was some subsequent followup between Matt, Anne and Olli http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011JulSep/0092.html
... If Olli is OK with removing initTouchEvent method from TE v1, then I think we have consensus. A consequence of that change is a new LC will be needed.
... is that a fair characterization?

OP: it's OK with removing it

… from v1

… And we need to do something about creating events in v2

… But this allows v1 to proceed

… and we can continue to work on v2

… This also means all testing will need to be manual

AB: it seems like we have consensus on Issue-23 to remove initTouchEvent

… are there any objections to removing it?

AB: Doug of course has an opinion on this

… and I believe he now agrees with removing initTouchEvent from v1

… I know he isn't here

MB: yes, I think Doug agreed with this proposal to remove during the last call

AB: then let's record a resolution and close Issue-23

RESOLUTION: the initTouchEvent method will be removed in LC1 (and this means a new LC will be needed)

AB: anything else on that issue?

Issue-21 and Issue-22 ; status of Cathy's proposal

MB: we need an action to remove that method

… I can't do it this week

AB: can anyone else take an action to remove that method

<scribe> ACTION: brubeck remove the initTouchEvent method from v1 spec [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/10/04-webevents-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-78 - Remove the initTouchEvent method from v1 spec [on Matt Brubeck - due 2011-10-11].

AB: last week we discussed Issue-21 http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/issues/21 and Issue-22 http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/issues/22 and Cathy's proposals to address the issues http://www.w3.org/2011/09/27-webevents-minutes.html#item05
... I believe we agreed that if no one expressed any concerns that Cathy would submit a changeset based on her proposal
... Cathy isn't here today

… I don't know here status

AB: any comments on Cathy's proposal?

<scribe> ACTION: cathy to commit her proposals for Issue-21 and Issue-22 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/10/04-webevents-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-79 - Commit her proposals for Issue-21 and Issue-22 [on Cathy Chan - due 2011-10-11].

Feedback from PFWG on Touch Events 13 September 2011 draft

AB: Last week WAI's PFWG submitted some comments http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011JulSep/0091.html for the TE LC. I captured those as LC-6 http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/wiki/TouchEvents-LCWD-13-Sep-2011#LC-6 and LC-7 http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/wiki/TouchEvents-LCWD-13-Sep-2011#LC-7
... the first comment (LC-7) is about the need for additional text re the relation between touch events and mouse events. And LC-6 is a request for some editorial questions.
... I don't think there are any "Issues" per se but rather some follow up actions to address the comments.
... has anyone read the comments from PFWG?

MB: not yet

AB: encourage everyone to followup on the mail list

… that is, respond to Michael Cooper's email

Testing Touch Events

AB: we have a few actions related to touch event testing Action-74, Action-66 and Action-72. Earlier today Olli replied to his Action-74 http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/actions/74 via http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011OctDec/0001.html
... I haven't looked at Olli's input

OP: I looked at what Matt had done

… and added some tests for multiple touches

… We will need a lot more tests

… But this is a start

… I can add some more later

AB: thanks very much!

OP: I am using Android

… and the default browser and it passes the tests

… The default browser on Android uses webkit

… The default browser and Opera browser both pass all of the tests I wrote

AB: that's really helpful
... Tran has Action-66: <Create multitouch test cases for the Touch Events spec> that is blocked on Olli. Perhaps Tran could review what Olli created.

DT: I did look at it this morning

… I will copy it and then expand on it

… and try to do something this week

AB: ok, that's great
... anything else on testing for today?

OP: once we have more tests for multitouch

… we should move them to W3C

… My tests are not in W3C space now

… But they need to move

AB: if you have any issues with that, Doug can help you (or perhaps me ;-)

Any Other Business (AOB)

AB: we will have a call next week if there are sufficient topics
... encourage everyone to continue to use the Public mail list
... anything else for today?
... meeting adjourned

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: brubeck remove the initTouchEvent method from v1 spec [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/10/04-webevents-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: cathy to commit her proposals for Issue-21 and Issue-22 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/10/04-webevents-minutes.html#action02]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/10/04 15:23:40 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/and FF/and the default browser/
Found ScribeNick: ArtB
Found Scribe: Art
Present: Art_Barstow Dzung_Tran Olli_Pettay Matt_Brubeck Suman_Sharma Ted_Mielczarek
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011OctDec/0000.html
Found Date: 04 Oct 2011
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/10/04-webevents-minutes.html
People with action items: brubeck cathy

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]