22 Jun 2010


See also: IRC log


michael_, laurent_lefort_cs, kerry, david, krp
Arthur, Krzysztof


<laurent_lefort_cs> Previous: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-ssn/2010Jun/0019.html

<laurent_lefort_cs> Payam will only be on the IRC - The problems with the EU bridge for Zakim are still happening


<Payam> I am in a conference session; haven't tried the EU bridge

who is pm0018?

<Payam> It was me :)

comments from last week

Laurent - do you want me to scribe?


<laurent_lefort_cs> sribenick: kerry

( no comments from last week)

<laurent_lefort_cs> 2 actions for Laurent

Laurent has emailed summary of last weeks discussion. 2 actions for laurent.

<laurent_lefort_cs> Laurent: Zakim status http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/track/actions/32

laurent: bridge problem continues. is out of control of W3C.

<laurent_lefort_cs> Action 30 http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/track/actions/30

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - 30

laurent: location of ontology after the XG
... been in contact with W3C folks -- answer so far is a request to state what we want to do after XG close.

<laurent_lefort_cs> Lead to Issue-9 http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/track/issues/9

David kelsey: would like to see persistence in an open forum

david: possibly sourceforge


<laurent_lefort_cs> Laurent: time to explore options and record expressions of interest from XG participants

<laurent_lefort_cs> Kerry: Discussed this with Laurent. 1st option is Member submission, 2nd option is to continue via a working group

kerry: perhaps w3c member submission or start a working group?

<michael_> +q

<krp> Is what we do with the ontology version at the time of the XG close (put on the W3C site) distinct from continued development after XG closes?

<laurent_lefort_cs> Laurent: 3rd a way to continue to host the ontology

laurent: or find a way for W3C to host it

<michael_> +q


michael: is there any precedent for W3C hosting?

laurent: yes. another XG has one on a W3C wiki, but this does not get the namespace right
... there is a 3rd party one too (epimorphics) that is being hosted on the website: the organisation ontology

krp: is the one on the wiki still being maintained?

laurent: no

<krp> is that a technical restriction, or just that the working group is inactive now?

<krp> i.e. do W3C freeze the wiki one the XG is done?

laurent: the epimorphics one will be -- associated with egov linked data

(aside to kevin) -- I think it is a bit of both, but I'm not sure

to be continued. Members to consider!

Planning of the ontology deliverables

laurent: michael explain current position and laurent to explain example he is working on.

<michael_> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Operating_Model

<michael_> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Deployments,_Systems_and_Devices

michael: (with reference to email to list today) : 1st one is Payam's suggestion interpreted in OWL by Michael with an example

payam: have you had a chance to look at this?

(payam is not on the phone)

<krp> +q

(no response from Payam)

kevin: are any of the constraints used over different ranges or only in a particular context?
... are has-constraints intended to be used only some ranges. Why not subclasses of those things?

<Payam> my protege couldn't open the file; I willtry it this afternoon again

kevin: e.g enviromental survival range and env operating range seem to be specific constraints. Is there a contraints that can be used in all places?

michael: maybe... this is like what we did before.. perhaps just one constraint would do

kevin: should survival and operating range be explicit or subclassed (scribe having trouble keeping up)

michael: will be here for next meeting but away from email between now and then

<michael_> I'm not on email for the next week, but I will be attending the next conf call.

<laurent_lefort_cs> Laurent: main page with list of examples: http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Semantic_Sensor_Net_Ontology

sub-topic to be carried to next meeting: participants please look at the proposals on the email list!

laurent: see example in link: have split into general example plus semantic markup example plus hydrology example
... we still need one for operating model

michael: yes we do

laurent: is the marine/ocean environment different/challenging?

david: could be a good reference environment for mobility (cruise to waypoints for measurements)

laurent: observation geometry and mobility maybe should be separated -- eg. to cover remote sensing vs mobile phones
... has also done a calibration example: does anyone have experience with this and can comment?


(hold for next week)

<krp> -q


<laurent_lefort_cs> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Agriculture_Meteorology_Sensor_Network

<laurent_lefort_cs> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Architecture

laurent: agricultural example: phenonet continued
... see stuff on the page linked: looking at bringing in the units and other things for this
... might also use product metadata and spatial locations/coordinates from neesgrid
... worrying about how to put the modules in together -- have a little script to help
... uses the XG ontology plus externals to describe a real system.

kevin: looks fine -- not quite at the level that I'm working
... could yet have something to say about adapting rates depending on stuff from other sources
... at Soton more about the data than the sensors
... Spanish link re doing more low-level things

laurent: looking for contributions from people looking at sensor networks in different ways to get coverage

kevin: I might be able to contribute a calibration example, but perhaps not in the time frame
... upm is doing the ontology but the hardware (elsewhere in Spain) is delayed



<krp> +q

kerry: expecting new member from open university uk
... ssn10 workshop call for papers is out

kevin: request for more detailed timeline up to end of the XG

laurent: (brief outline of timeline) will flesh out. What happens after the XG is an important factor in this
... 2 rounds of ontology release plus the hard part of the report to start asap

<krp> bye

<michael_> bye


<laurent_lefort_cs> s/Epilogix?/Epimorphics/

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2010/06/22 14:14:45 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/micahel/michael/
Succeeded: s/oganisation/organisation/
Succeeded: s/envoronment/environment/
Succeeded: s/eslewhere/elsewhere/
FAILED: s/Epilogix?/Epimorphics/
Succeeded: s/starrt/start/
Succeeded: s/netowrks/networks/
Succeeded: s/geometery/geometry/
Succeeded: s/I wil /I will/
Succeeded: s/epilogix??/epimorphics/
Succeeded: s/ nad / and /
Succeeded: s/bbe/be/
Succeeded: s/XG close/XG closes/
Succeeded: s/prblem/problem/
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: kerry
Inferring Scribes: kerry
Default Present: michael_, laurent_lefort_cs, kerry, david, krp
Present: michael_ laurent_lefort_cs kerry david krp
Regrets: Arthur Krzysztof
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-ssn/2010Jun/0020.html
Got date from IRC log name: 22 Jun 2010
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2010/06/22-ssn-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]