Protocols and Formats Working Group Teleconference
09 Oct 2009

See also: IRC log


Cooper, Janina, Steve_Faulkner, Cynthia_Shelly, Rich, Tim_Boland
janina, Rich




<trackbot> Date: 09 October 2009

<janina> Meeting: PF/HTML_Caucus telecon

<janina> agenda: this

<janina> http://www.w3.org/2009/09/25-pf-minutes.html

<janina> http://www.w3.org/2009/09/25-pf-minutes.html

<Stevef> Google Wave Preview Accessibility Review http://webaim.org/blog/google-wave-preview-accessibility-review/

<MichaelC> Grand list: http://www.w3.org/2009/08/html5-spec-review

<janina> scribe: janina

<richardschwerdtfe> scribe: Rich

WCAG HTML 5 comments

<richardschwerdtfe> Janina: Michael has the list and will respond to Loretta

<richardschwerdtfe> Janina: Should we enter defects in Bugzilla?

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: We should file them as formal PF comments

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: I don't know whether we need to file these in my name, Janina, or PF

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: We should have an accessibility keyword

<richardschwerdtfe> Stevef: how are we going to sign off?

<richardschwerdtfe> Janina: We need to file these as PF comments which will buy us time on the documents

<richardschwerdtfe> Stevef: I want to discuss what came out of yesterday's meeting

<richardschwerdtfe> Stevef: Rich and I attended the call

<MichaelC> HTML Bugzilla: http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/enter_bug.cgi?product=HTML%20WG

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: what should we use as the keyword - a11y or pfwg?

<richardschwerdtfe> Janina: Both. a11y for things that are general accessibility issues

<richardschwerdtfe> Janina: pfwg for general working group issues

<richardschwerdtfe> Cynthia and Rich: we don't need to vet keywords through the working group

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: I will just create two keywords. a11y - accessibility issues. PFWG - Formal comments from the Protocols and Formats working group

<richardschwerdtfe> Stevef: where is the key word?

<Stevef> http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/enter_bug.cgi

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: you go into there and go into htmlwg

<richardschwerdtfe> Stevef: I am in htmlwg

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: it is like the third from the last text for the keyword button

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: perhaps you have different permsissions

<richardschwerdtfe> Janina: who has the power to describe what keywords

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: we need to establish whether using keywords is the proper procedure

Recent Developments - HTML WG Process; Joint TF

<richardschwerdtfe> Rich: who is coordinating?

<richardschwerdtfe> Rich: we could have either Cynthia or I represent the HTML side

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: I would prefer that some non-accessibility person for HTML

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: I have 3 concerns with the process

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: I am concerned that there is too much power in the editors hand in the process for sign off

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: I am concerned about the procedure. If the commenter is not satisfied then you can escalate to the group.

<Laura> HTML Working Group Decision Policy

<Laura> http://dev.w3.org/html5/decision-policy/decision-policy.html

<richardschwerdtfe> Cynthia: everyone here has a day job so we cannot write accessibility proposals on the existing 100 or so bugs this month

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: I think having the loop hole is problematic

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: there is not consensus on the proposals

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: you could have a situation as to where the editor and commenter are satisfied but nothing else is

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: It could be very lite weight

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: I prefer that it be more active on the survey

<richardschwerdtfe> Rich: you did not raise the issues on the process on the call. Can we still raise the issue?

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: Yes, through the back channel.

<richardschwerdtfe> Rich and Cynthia: need to split up duties with chair and/or editor

<richardschwerdtfe> SteveF: there are 70 or so points of change now. and 40 or so need bugs submitted

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: this can't be submitted as one bug

<richardschwerdtfe> Cynthia: no. Maciej thought this was best submitted in indivdual bugs where possible

<richardschwerdtfe> Cynthia: should we referred by extension or inclusion?

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: We don't need an extension but we should refer to the aria spec.

<richardschwerdtfe> Cynthia: how do we do a second version of ARIA.

<richardschwerdtfe> Cynthia: I think we should do a second version of ARIA.

<richardschwerdtfe> Rich: we will need a separate spec. for ARIA that is referenced and we need to address the individual elements where equivalent aria semantics are available

<richardschwerdtfe> Cynthia: politics should be addressed when the TF is up and running

<richardschwerdtfe> Cynthia: Rich could you come if someone covered your hotel

<richardschwerdtfe> Rich: will see. I have a november 4 commitment

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: I believe the HTML chairs are relying on people to volunteer

<richardschwerdtfe> Cynthia: Laura volunteered but said she did not have a lot of time to participate

<richardschwerdtfe> SteveF: Bruce Lawson might be interested

<richardschwerdtfe> SteveF: I will contact Bruce

<richardschwerdtfe> Janina: Please do

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: Mike Smith and I need to connect

<richardschwerdtfe> Janina: main thing is get this to happen

<richardschwerdtfe> Janina: I don't think we can have a meeting until we decide on the chairs

<richardschwerdtfe> Janina: can try to decide for next Friday

<richardschwerdtfe> Michael: don't think that is possible

<richardschwerdtfe> SteveF: I know Bruce. we should get a reasonable response.

<Stevef> sam ruby's SVG open keynote http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd7ILwrFwQY

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009/10/09 16:02:39 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/belive/believe/
Found Scribe: janina
Found Scribe: Rich

WARNING: 0 scribe lines found (out of 127 total lines.)
Are you sure you specified a correct ScribeNick?

Scribes: janina, Rich
Default Present: Cooper, Janina, Steve_Faulkner, Cynthia_Shelly, Rich, Tim_Boland
Present: Cooper Janina Steve_Faulkner Cynthia_Shelly Rich Tim_Boland
Found Date: 09 Oct 2009
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2009/10/09-pf-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]