HTML Weekly Teleconference

02 Apr 2009

See also: IRC log


DanC, Joshue




<trackbot> Date: 02 April 2009

ask for scribe

<MikeSmith> shepazu: ↑


<ChrisWilson> Thanks Shawn

<MikeSmith> scribenick: smedero

<ChrisWilson> zakin, take up 2

<ChrisWilson> zakin, take up item 2

<MikeSmith> scribe: ShawnMedero

<Julian> m

ask for additional issues

discuss open/pending review items

<ChrisWilson> issue-54, action-103?

<ChrisWilson> action-103?

<trackbot> ACTION-103 -- Lachlan Hunt to track registration of about: URI scheme -- due 2009-03-17 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/103

<pimpbot> Title: ACTION-103 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

masinter: There's something wrong with this action item, it is not clear who is tracking it

<pimpbot> Title: IRC logs: freenode / #whatwg / 20090331 (at krijnhoetmer.nl)

<rubys1> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-holsten-about-uri-scheme-00.

<pimpbot> Title: draft-holsten-about-uri-scheme-00 - The 'about' URI scheme (at tools.ietf.org)

Julian: There were a few issues raised with the draft and no revised draft has been submitted yet

<Julian> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-holsten-about-uri-scheme-00

<pimpbot> Title: draft-holsten-about-uri-scheme-00 - The 'about' URI scheme (at tools.ietf.org)

<masinter> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/uri-review/current/maillist.html

<pimpbot> Title: Proposed URI Schemes Discussion List (at www.ietf.org)

about: URI scheme

<shepazu> http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20090331#l-336

rubys: Do we want to address Henri Sivonen's concerns?

<Julian> I think the title is fine.

<masinter> Send a copy of the template or a pointer to the containing

<masinter> document (with specific reference to the section with the

<masinter> template) to the mailing list uri-review@ietf.org, requesting

<masinter> review. In addition, request review on other mailing lists as

<masinter> appropriate. For example, general discussion of URI syntactical

<masinter> issues could be discussed on uri@w3.org; schemes for a network

<masinter> protocol could be discussed on a mailing list for that protocol.

<masinter> Allow a reasonable time for discussion and comments. Four weeks

<masinter> is reasonable for a permanent registration requests.

<masinter> \]

<shepazu> [I note this is not a very inclusive definition of "the WG", whereas he and all of the browser vendors are in the WG]

<masinter> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4395.txt

ChrisWilson: I'm confused here, because we have come with a solution that doesn't require further changes in the spec
... Until the registration of the about: URI scheme is completed

masinter: There is a change to the spec but it is pending some other action

Sam: The change to the spec has happened

masinter: Ok I remember, the change to spec happened and was conditional on the about: URI scheme registration being completed.

ChrisWilson: So an email has not been sent yet to complete the registration?
... I will update the action title and move it to next week

<ChrisWilson> action-68?

<trackbot> ACTION-68 -- Dan Connolly to try factoring URI/URL stuff out as a separate draft -- due 2009-03-18 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/68

<pimpbot> Title: ACTION-68 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ACTION-68 - factoring URI/URL stuff out as a separate draft

masinter: There was discussion of this at the IETF meeting last week
... There's been some discussion on the list about merging this with the IRI or URI spec

<masinter> action-118?

<trackbot> ACTION-118 -- Dan Connolly to reformat the document on URLs in HTML 5 as an Internet Draft -- due 2009-04-06 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/118

<pimpbot> Title: ACTION-118 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

<ChrisWilson> action-72?

<trackbot> ACTION-72 -- Sam Ruby to monitor progress of testing re 20 Dec HTML 5 spec draft and test materials from WCAG 2 -- due 2009-03-26 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/72

Sam: I suggest we close out ACTION-68 and leave ACTION-118 open

<pimpbot> Title: ACTION-72 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

<MikeSmith> I suggest just closing that

<MikeSmith> it was about headers

ACTION-72: monitor progress of testing table-headers re 20 Dec HTML 5 spec draft and test materials from WCAG 2

<MikeSmith> somebody retitled it

Sam: I suggested we closed this and DanC had some concerns surrounding the test materials.

<MikeSmith> I would just close it and let Dan re-open it if he objects

ChrisWilson: Lets leave it up to DanC to decide whether to close it or make it something actionable.

<ChrisWilson> action-99?

<trackbot> ACTION-99 -- Sam Ruby to review @profile -- due 2009-03-26 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/99

<pimpbot> Title: ACTION-99 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

<jgraham> Since nothing else has blocked on tests, it seems strange for this one issue to do so

ACTION-99 - Review @profile

<ChrisWilson> action-108?

<trackbot> ACTION-108 -- Larry Masinter to ask the TAG to consider HTML in particular in its work on versioning -- due 2009-03-30 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/108

<pimpbot> Title: ACTION-108 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

ACTION-108 - Ask the TAG to consider HTML in particular in its work on versioning

masinter: I did bring this up with the TAG. Most of the discussion has been without a framework to discuss alternatives
... I don't mind keeping the action open and changing the title.

<ChrisWilson> action-114?

<trackbot> ACTION-114 -- Cynthia Shelly to report progress on ARIA TF due 26 Mar 2009 -- due 2009-03-26 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/114

ChrisWilson: I'll move it out two weeks and change the title to say "Report back..."

Cynthia_Shelly: I am going to put a placeholder for the API mapping draft up this afternoon
... We're having status meetings every two weeks

<ChrisWilson> action-115?

<trackbot> ACTION-115 -- Dan Connolly to set up WBS for HTML WG participants to @@ reTPAC 2009 -- due 2009-04-07 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/115

ChrisWilson: I don't know that DanC actually did this

<ChrisWilson> action-116?

<trackbot> ACTION-116 -- Michael(tm) Smith to coordinate review of current H:TML draft -- due 2009-04-23 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/116

<ChrisWilson> action-117?

<trackbot> ACTION-117 -- Doug Schepers to get svg working group to propose specific text -- due 2009-03-26 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/117

MikeSmith: I think this is a duplicate of another action item

Shepazu: We followed through on this but the editor doesn't like to work that way
... The SVG WG has decided it is not good use of time to discuss things just on our mailing list or telecons. It is faster to cross-post our threads to HTML.
... We spent a lot of time putting the proposal together and we didn't feel like it was a good use of our time

Sam: So this action is done?

Shepazu: Yes, though the larger topic is still ongoing

<Julian> We have http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/37


<trackbot> ISSUE-37 -- Integration of SVG and MathML into text/html -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/37

ChrisWilson: I'm under the impression that the SVG WG isn't happy with the current draft

Shepazu: It is not that we're not happy with the current draft but there are certain changes we'd like to see made.
... We're just not sure how to move forward
... The only way we see things moving is if a browser vendor comes forward and notes implementation issues

masinter: That's your prediction of the future given past behavior of this working group?

Shepazu: That's the way I see it working
... I think the larger goal of trying to get SVG into HTML is what we are all working for... some of the details may not be the way HTML WG or SVG WG would like.
... Implementation experience tends to carry a lot of weight in this group

ChrisWilson: Sounds like we should close this action item.

masinter: Is there a way we could encourage implementations

Shepazu: There is implementation work. Henri Sivonen is working on a parser for Mozilla
... I could outline in a wiki some work that the SVG WG think needs to be done to test performance issues
... The existing action is done though.

<ChrisWilson> issue-20?

<trackbot> ISSUE-20 -- Improvements to the table-headers algorithm in the HTML 5 spec -- RAISED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/20

<masinter> will we raise a new action to track the implementaiton work?

<jmb> fwiw, hubbub (http://netsurf-browser.org/projects/hubbub) supports the SVG parsing parts of the current specification

<ChrisWilson> masinter: if you can come up with an actionable action, go ahead and file it

ISSUE-20 table-headers

<ChrisWilson> has anyone reviewed the spec changes for th/td association, wrt issue-20?

wasn't this the point of DanC's action?

to write and run tests on table-headers...


<trackbot> ACTION-72 -- Sam Ruby to monitor progress of testing re 20 Dec HTML 5 spec draft and test materials from WCAG 2 -- due 2009-04-09 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/72

<ChrisWilson> issue-52?

<trackbot> ISSUE-52 -- Respond to XHTML2 WG objections to language in HTML5 draft regarding XHTML1 -- RAISED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/52

ISSUE-52 - Respond to XHTML2 WG objections to language in HTML5 draft regarding XHTML1

ChrisWilson: MikeSmith, you filed this initially, do you have an update?

MikeSmith: Things have happened since this issue was opened that invalidate this issue

<ChrisWilson> issue-72?

<trackbot> ISSUE-72 -- Need to make it publicly clear that http://www.w3.org/TR/web-forms-2/ is obsoleted by HTML5 -- RAISED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/72

MikeSmith: The placeholder was put up for ISSUE-72, it can be closed out

<ChrisWilson> any other discussions people want to have?

( scribe misses a bunch of discussion surrounding whether or not to open an issue concerning this thread: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Apr/0017.html )

<Julian> I will open an issue.

<Julian> RFC 4329

<ChrisWilson> bye

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009/04/02 17:06:10 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/objection/concerns/
Succeeded: s/Henri Sivonen is working on updating his parser/Henri Sivonen is working on a parser for Mozilla/
Succeeded: s/You/MikeSmith, you/
Succeeded: s/since this issue has opened/since this issue was opened/
Found ScribeNick: smedero
Found Scribe: ShawnMedero

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: Apple ChrisWilson Cynthia_Shelly DanC Dashiva Hixie Julian Keio LHSilli MichaelC MikeSmith Philip ROBOd Sam Title Yudai adele anne aroben dbaron deltab drry dsinger ed_work gavin gavin_ gsnedders heycam hober hsivonen inimino inserted jgraham jmb karl krijn maddiin masinter nico phenny pimpbot rubys rubys1 scribenick shepazu smedero sryo1 tH timelyx tlr trackbot wilhelm xover
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

Regrets: DanC Joshue
Found Date: 02 Apr 2009
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2009/04/02-html-wg-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]