W3C SML Teleconference of 2008-06-04

05 Jun 2008


See also: IRC log


Julia, kumar, johnarwe, Sandy, ginny, jim, MSM
Kirk, Wilson
John Arwe
Sandy Gao




<johnarwe> kirk sent regrets

<scribe> scribenick: Sandy

<johnarwe> pratul sent regrets (to me only) for this call

<scribe> scribe: Sandy Gao

<johnarwe> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sml/2008Jun/att-0000/20080529-sml-minutes.html

Approval of minutes from previous meeting(s)

RESOLUTION: approve http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sml/2008Jun/att-0000/20080529-sml-minutes.html as a true record of the meeting on 2008-05-29.

Register for Edinburgh

John: please register.

Fall F2F

John: we may need to change to either end of the week (Oct 27-31) if CG decides to have meetings in that same week.

Action items

Julia: action 188. made some progress, need more time.

Kumar: (just closed one of the actions.) for action 184. Pratul is mainly working on it.

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=5715 add definition of the term 'processor'

John: Sounds editorial

Kumar: yes

Ginny: duplicate with 5720?

Julia: or 5710?

Ginny: yes 5710.

Julia: we were thinking that 5720 should be a duplication of 5710. neither has anything to do with 5715.

John: proposal is editorial + needsReview.

RESOLUTION: 5715 is editorial + needsReview.

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=5720 Inconsistent languge describing sml references and schemes

John: editorial or needsAgreement?

Ginny: editorial

Julia: editorial+needsReview. Note in particular that point 7 in comment #3 requires an extensive review.

Ginny: that will be reviewed by the editoris. most likely me (Ginny).

John: so the proposal is to fix per comments #3 and #4.

RESOLUTION: mark 5720 as editorial+needsReview; fix per comments #3 and #4.

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=5721 Statement about definitions in definition docs vs. instance docs would help

Julia: should be editorial

Jim: maybe add a non-normative note reflecting conclusions cited in the bug report.

Julia: I can make a suggestion in terms of where that note should go.

<scribe> ACTION: Julia to propose where a note that addresses 5721 should go. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/06/05-sml-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-193 - Propose where a note that addresses 5721 should go. [on Julia McCarthy - due 2008-06-12].

RESOLUTION: mark 5721 as needsAgreement; wait for Julia's proposal from action 193.

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=5528 xs:import for SML namespace is unnecessary

John: 2 weeks are up. remove "decided" keyword?

RESOLUTION: remove "decided" keyword from bug 5528.

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=5529 Clarify Appendix C

Jim: this has editorial and decided. can "decided" be removed before the editorial action is taken or can the change be made before "decided" is removed?

John: yes. they are tracked separately.
... should "decided" be removed?

RESOLUTION: remove "decided" keyword from bug 5529.

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=5598 title of section 4.2.7, deref() XPath Extension Function

<MSM> [for what it's worth: The strikethrough font indicates that the status of the bug report is CLOSED.]

<MSM> Andrew Eisenberg closed it (to indicate assent to our resolution) on 2 April]

John: this should have been marked "external" in previous passes.

<johnarwe> 4.2.7 deref() XPath Extension Function

John: Seems the title does not have smlfn:

Ginny: looking at minutes from April 1. I was recommending *not* to fix it.

<ginny> 5598: http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=5598

<ginny> Add namespace prefix to deref function in section title

<ginny> MSM: Add the word "The"

<ginny> Ginny: recommends not fixing it. Makes title longer. Style objection to fixing the bug.

<ginny> MSM: Prefers to add namespace prefix. (Kirk agrees.)

<ginny> Sandy: We need to add it somewhere. First occurrence of namespace prefix is in section 5.

<ginny> Ginny: We can mention it in the section.

<ginny> Pratul: Proposal: fix according to the bug.

<ginny> John: 4 votes (MSM, Kirk, Pratul, Sandy) to make the change.

<ginny> ... Question is whether we should include "The".

<ginny> The sense of the work group is not to add a "The" just to this title.

<ginny> Ginny: Does not want to change all the titles.

<ginny> RESOLUTION: Fix this bug as per bug and mark as editorial.

John: reopen 5598, remove decided, then "editoral" will take effect.

Kumar: and add "externalComment" and "reviewerSatisfied"

RESOLUTION: reopen 5598, remove "decided", add "externalComment" and "reviewerSatisfied".

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=5599 use of sml:acyclic

John: no change needed; closed is ok. just need to deal with "decided" keyword.

RESOLUTION: for 5599, remove "decided", add "externalComment" and "reviewerSatisfied". no change to the bug status (leave it closed).

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=5600 request for additional examples

John: similar situation to 5598.

04 01RESOLUTION: reopen 5600, remove "decided", add "externalComment" and "reviewerSatisfied".

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=5561 SML should define a Simple XLink Reference Scheme

John: have pending action. stay needsReview

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=5635 impl-defined and impl-dependent used, but not defined

John: alredy fixed; confirmed by 5/22 minutes.

RESOLUTION: remove "needsReview" from 5635.

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=4630 Clarify relation of SML and XML 1.0 vs 1.1

RESOLUTION: remove "needsReview" from 4630.
... remove "needsReview" from 4803, 4819, 4884, 5069, 5112, 5215, 5239, 5248, 5382, 5384, 5404, 5415, 5505.

The WG reviewed and approved changes made in comment #2 of 5382 and comment #3 of 5384.

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=5499 Explanation of notation for { } and [ ]

Ginny: in core, section 2.1, suggest to remove "For example,"

Kumar: confused. does IF define a schema component property?
... Section 2.1 of IF says "This specification defines some properties of schema components". this is not correct.
... propose to remove the first 3 sentences from the inserted paragraph in section 2.1 of IF.

Jim: why the second sentence?

MSM: possible for the spec to change and introduce references to schema component properties?

Ginny: make sense to include the reference convention sentence, just like we list all 2119 keywords but we may not use all of them.

Jim: yes, should keep the reference convention.

<ginny> Proposal: References to properties of schema components are links to the relevant definition, set off with curly braces, for instance {example property}. This is the same convention as that used in the XML schema specification [ XML Schema Structures ]. References to properties of information items as defined in [ XML Information Set ] are notated as links to the relevant section thereof,...

<ginny> ...set off with square brackets, for example [children].

John: then should this be sent back to the editors to make the above suggested changes?

<ginny> The sense of the working group is that we want the text to be 'true' whether or not any such notations are present in the spec or not.

RESOLUTION: remove needsReivew from 5499, mark as editorial. add needsReview after changes are made. Change 2.1 of both core and IF, using Ginny's text above as a starting point. The goal is for the revised text to be phrased such that it is 'true' whether or not any such notations are present in the spec or not.

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=5707 clarify SML reference resolution when sml:uri value is an empty string

Kumar: proposal is in comment #2. [1] is for core, and [2] is for IF.

Sandy: for core, does bullet 2.a still apply when the URI is "" or "#"?

Kumar: yes

Sandy: then saying "2.b is skipped" is misleading, because the result of applying 2.a produces a URI that's never "" or "#".

Ginny: maybe we should just refer to the RFC, because bullet 2 is consistent with RFC

Kumar: yes, and mark 2.a-2.d as non-normative.

John: RFC discussion about "same-dodcument reference", specifically "a defererence of a same-document reference should not result in a new retrieval action."
... sounds like we need a new proposal. leaving it as "hasProposal" will make it appear on the agenda next week.

RESOLUTION: leave 5707 as "hasProposal"

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Julia to propose where a note that addresses 5721 should go. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/06/05-sml-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.133 (CVS log)
$Date: 2008/06/05 19:56:01 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.133  of Date: 2008/01/18 18:48:51  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/mark 5720 as editorial+needsReview./mark 5720 as editorial+needsReview; fix per comments #3 and #4./
Succeeded: s/can "decided" be removed before the editorial action is taken/can "decided" be removed before the editorial action is taken or can the change be made before "decided" is removed/
Succeeded: s/has not been updated/does not have smlfn:/
Succeeded: s/externalReviewer/externalComment/
Succeeded: s/Kumar propose/Kumar: propose/
Succeeded: s/sensen/senten/
Succeeded: s/5404, 5415/5404, 5415, 5505/
Found ScribeNick: Sandy
Found Scribe: Sandy Gao
Default Present: Julia, kumar, johnarwe, Sandy, ginny, jim, MSM
Present: Julia kumar johnarwe Sandy ginny jim MSM
Regrets: Kirk Wilson
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sml/2008Jun/0001.html
Got date from IRC log name: 05 Jun 2008
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2008/06/05-sml-minutes.html
People with action items: julia

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]