02 Dec 2010


See also: IRC log


antoine, jeff_, kai, michaelp, TomB, kefo, Asaf_, pmurray, markva, edsu, digikim, rayd, Felix, danbri
Ed, Jodi, Emmanuelle, Joachim, Guenther, Marcia


<TomB> Previous: http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/25-lld-minutes.html

<TomB> Scribe: Kefo

<TomB> scribenick: kefo


RESOLUTION: Accept previous minutes

F2F in Cologne

Antoine: Small, informal mtg in Cologne

<antoine> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Dec/0005.html

Antoine: Talked about topics of incubator group
... and future outcomes of the group
... perhaps it would be best to review the written report
... distributed on the list serve.
... We spent a fair amount of time on
... establishing a shared terminology.

Tomb: let's discuss the issue of terminology
... but first attend to current agenda items
... maybe in next calls we establish shared terminology

tomb: should we continue with agenda and distribute notes by another method

JISC Open Bibliographic Data Guide

antoine: participants believe it best to conduct conversation via email
... and only later talk about specific items on calls

tomb:let's discuss in future calls
... keep placemarker for future calls

< ACTION: Monica and JISC colleagues to introduce and discuss JISC work on next call [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/11/25-lld-minutes.html#action02][CONTINUES]


<kai> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MhYl8Iz8raHA0M7jnHrzwiC_MmXnDM4aNG2ymVCz9rM/edit?hl=en&authkey=CKzY3YQH

kai: problems defining what was expected from cluster
... would like feedback from group
... began by defining a citation
... based on use cases, concluded needed a broader definition than just something bibliographic
... discussed scope of cluster
... citing, citations, citation format, link/cite difference, and backlinks in scope
... out of scope: defining new citation representations
... also identified citation granularity as relevant
... level 1 is a basic string in the text of a publication
... level 2 is a structured citation
... level 3 actually linked citation
... identified a few additional use cases
... ability to register agreeement/disagreement with citation
... and jumping to cited resource are two examples

<markva> this appears to overlap with Goals and Scenario (emma's suggestion)

kai: next step is to extract requirements from these added use cases.
... provided a section detailing existing technologies and vocabularies that may be helpful moving forward
... also identified new questions that may need to be addressed

TomB: good start. I see a definition of citations in the scope of linked data. What is the function of a citation in linked data and how can that function be achieved?
... URIs are one way, but what other ways might there be to identify citations in a linked data environment?
... I would expect citation cluster to frame the problem of what is a citation in a LD context and then look at use cases to determine the ways and methods that are employed to address problem.

kai: I'd like to take a step back and ask what we hope to achieve with the documents we're producing about the clusters

<markva> +1

kai: We certainly need our own definition for citations in linked data

TomB: It is important to start with defining a citation in light of linked data and then go on to explore how that is manifested in the use cases
... Why work in the Google Docs enviro versus XG wiki?
... Technical reason or a desire not to show work-in-progress?

<edsu> better for live editing ...

<jeff_> better for simultaneous collaborative editing

kai: We'll be moving to Wiki soon.

edsu: Thanks kai for thorough description of our work to-date. TomB, I hear your concerns. In my mind, LD is a technology and one that can be used to represent citations. But, w/o knowing what a citation is in the absence of technology, we can't identify the needs for LD.

<TomB> +1 to define citations generically before saying what they mean in the linked data context

markva: Lots of interesting material. procedural question: If you merge into Wiki, will it break into different sections?
... What is the structure of the document we're all working toward based on the clusters.

<antoine> I think the 'extracted use cases' are indeed Emma's 'scenarios'

TomB: Could be useful to have a scaffolding of subsections, with idea that for final report we cut out superfluous sub-headings

markva: I don't know if I understand. We only have structure for use cases.

TomB: Let's not worry about establishing a formal template for the cluster reports right now.

TomB: I'm inclined to let groups develop a structure best-suited to their findings
... Let's get it on paper and then determine areas of overlap and ways to streamline the organization

edsu: I want to echo Mark's points.
... If there is a specific goal for the group, it would help the groups focus their work.

<antoine> +1

<pmurray> I agree with edsu; more structure would have been helpful for our conversation.

edsu: Otherwise, the disparity in the resulting documents might require a great deal of massaging in the end.

antoine: I half agree with Ed. Having a structure is useful
... but we have really diverse clusters, it could be that for some of them the structure differs
... Especially true for the vocabulary alignment cluster
... so we should perhaps still allow some flexibility now

<edsu> +1

<edsu> :-)

<kai> +1, but maybe we should have the presentation of a very different cluster first to see the differences and similarities.

TomB: I believe groups need some latitude in creating their reports.
... But, perhaps, we could work to identify 3 or 4 headings that might be shared across all the groups.
... Is this a reasonable compromise? We don't lose time defining a template, but we do determine a few headings that apply across all the clusters.

<pmurray> I agree, if it can be done at this point.

edsu: I think this would be useful, especially if we can identify the 3 or 4 headings quickly

<markva> +1

edsu: This would help to provide some guidance to the others.

TomB: nearing the end. Anything else?

antoine: I have two headings: I like the Extracted Use Cases / Scenarios section and the relevant technologies/vocabularies section.

antoine: for a third, I like the background definitions. Such as, in the citation example, how a citation is defined and its placement, the intoductory section

edsu: Kai, Peter, and I can rework the document to fit the proposed headings

<edsu> i have 1) Background 2) Topic in the Context of Linked Data 3) Scenarios (Extracted Use Cases) 4) Relevant Technologies Vocabularies

ACTION: Citation cluster group to place Google Docs document into XG Wiki [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html#action01]

<edsu> markva: would be interested to hear if this fits how you've been thinking about it


TomB: Must this remain on the agenda?
... I propose we remove it otherwise.

<Asaf_> +1

<edsu> +1

ACTION: Remove PAUL WALK'S TOOL AND ANALYSIS from Agenda [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html#action02]


<antoine> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Dec/0005.html

antoine: Two primary topics for the draft that we think we're missing, related to education and outreach
... Firstly, we wanted to emphasize opportunities of LD for libraries and other users. We need some scenarios demonstrating _why_ a library would want to do LD
... Perhaps a type of benefits section at the front of report
... targeting library managers/administrators
... Secondly, was education. Guenther was interested in what the curricula for professional training or the qualifications a library professional would need for LD
... Guenther is going to establish a Wiki page for this.

<pmurray> That is huge, and important.

TomB: Propose we put an intro section into the report outline with and a new Education/curricula section at the end of the report

<markva> bye

<danbri> yay, my first LLD call. all of 13 minutes!

<digikim> thanks

<TomB> ACTION: Antoine to add "LOD curriculum" into "recommendations" section of Outline, and benefits into an Introduction [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html#action03]

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Antoine to add "LOD curriculum" into "recommendations" section of Outline, and benefits into an Introduction [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: Citation cluster group to place Google Docs document into XG Wiki [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Remove PAUL WALK'S TOOL AND ANALYSIS from Agenda [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html#action02]
[PENDING] ACTION: Monica and JISC colleagues to introduce and discuss JISC work on next call [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/25-lld-minutes.html#action02]
[PENDING] ACTION: volunteers to send login information to william waite to curate CKAN [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/25-lld-minutes.html#action04]
[PENDING] ACTION: Jeff to write one or two paragraphs on VIAF design discussions [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/18-lld-minutes.html#action06]
[PENDING] ACTION: Karen and Emma to curate archive cluster for end of december [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action02]
[PENDING] ACTION: Antoine and Michael to curate vocabulary alignment cluster for end of december [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action07]
[PENDING] ACTION: Gordon and Martin to curate bibliographic data cluster for end of december [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action05]
[PENDING] ACTION: Jeff and Alexander to curate authority data cluster for end of december [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action06]
[PENDING] ACTION: Kai and Ed to curate citations cluster for end of december [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action03]
[PENDING] ACTION: Mark (and Jodi and Asaf) to curate digital objects cluster for end of december [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action04]
[PENDING] ACTION: Alex, Jeff, Martin, MichaelP elaborate on general purpose IT architecture for dealing with linked data with caching feature [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/24‑lld‑minutes.html#action04]
[PENDING] ACTION: Emma and Antoine to create use case DATA.SEARCH-OPTIMIZATION [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/24‑lld‑minutes.html#action06]
[PENDING] ACTION: for each use case champion: on the Vocabularies page, link to each URL use case that uses it [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23‑lld‑minutes.html#action01]
[PENDING] ACTION: GordonD and Antoine to study use cases that relate to vocabulary merging use case [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/24-lld-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2010/12/02 19:22:21 $