SemWeb Best Practices and Deployment WG

11 Jul 2005


See also: IRC log


Guus Schreiber, David Booth, Fabien Gandon, Ralph Swick, Libby Miller, Dan Brickley, Mike Uschold, Jeff Pan, Alistair Miles, Evan Wallace, Giorgos Stamou, Chris Welty
Tom Baker, Benjamin Nguyen, Elisa Kendall





welcome to George Stamos, new WG member

Minutes of last time?

guus: I only saw IRC notes , which looked ok

ralph: no reply yet from Alistair on whether he was done editing the HTML version.
... Benjamin asked to be recorded as present, by IRC only

guus: propose that with those edits we accept

danbri: 2nd'd

RESOLVED: accept last minutes w/ edit for benjamin's presence via irc

guus: re my action to contact Andreas re DERI F2F, I've mailed him.

ACTION: guus to contact andreas re f2f venue [DONE]

guus: we have a fri/sat meeting

2. Liaison

2.1 httpRange-14 resolution

ACTION: ralph davidw and davidb to an initial draft of TAG httpRange-14 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/07/11-swbp-minutes.html#action02] [CONTINUES]

resolution impact on semweb application developers [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action02]

guus: see also, per agenda, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Jun/0051.html

2.2 XML Schema Last Call

guus: i've not seen any progress here

ralph: I think David's action is complete
... he raised that at a recent CG meeting
... Liam Q responded, that we should still send comments.

ACTION: DavidW ask about the XML Schema Component [DONE]

<Ralph> record of completion of DavidW's action to ask SemWeb CG about XML Schema Component Designators LC status

Designators LC status at the SemWeb CG meeting

jeff: not much more to mention
... jjc sent an email, they might ask for more info/comments
... his orig mail

guus: currently no outstanding actions
... shall I keep this on agenda?

ralph/jeff: yes

2.2 OMG: ODM review

guus: I hope to complete my action tommorrow

evan: nothing much more to report. we were this week supposed to have a liaison meeting w/ a related iso project on registries for ontology metadata (15926/3) but several of us can't make it.

3. TF Updates:

Guus: sent late today, I fwd'd an inital draft on multimedia tf proposal
... related to new member, George S who is here today
... we can see as an instantiation of an original tf from Cannes meeting
... more detailed description
... G could talk a bit here, then a few short Qs, then take discussion to list, ...

Giorgos: from .... Athens
... we prepared 1st draft w/ ... from cwi + Jeff Pann, ... proposal for task force with main goal the investigation of some potential approaches for annotating multimedia docs using sw languages
... until now, there is no specific progress in the area of multimedia analysis and auto-annotation using sw, so a problem there for presening multimedia semantics w/ sw langs
... a great need now in the web for representing these semantics
... using wellknown framework of the sw
... interop w/ other descriptions
... proposal not for a new standardisation process, or a new research enquiry area, but trying to make all this stuff interoperable; the standards from mpeg7 mainly, but other stds too, investigate how we can make all these stds interop w/ sw languages (specifically OWL)
... main idea of this tf
... some short term objectives. Collect all currently used vocabs for MM annotations, DC, VRA, etc
... then describe the use cases that we can use as examples for this mm annotations
... investigate and try to explain why they're not using standards/tools, then try to align with other TFs
... longer term objectives - try to collect and try to have some mm annotators that have as output their annotations in sw standards
... provide some mapping tools, eg using xslt
... between standards mainly of iso, mpeg7, mpeg21 etc., and those of the semweb
... main idea of proposal - more details + deliverables in the doc
... planning to combine this effort and invite some ppl from ISO std to participate in the TF, and have a possible pool of other invited ppl who might not directly participate but help in other ways (tools, reesearch, ...)

<Zakim> Ralph, you wanted to ask about RDF and MPEG-7 integration

Ralph: thx for useful summary, esp references. In part, refs help answer 1 question. When you talk of annotating multimedia, 'annotating' is sometimes understood in diff ways
... i understand mpeg 7 has a contained for metadata "about the content". It's long been a Q how to use RDF+OWL in that container.
... is that sort of thing that the TF might address?

Giorgos: MPEG7 is using XML as serialization
... they use it in some different ways, difficult to represent MM semantics
... need something on top of this
... using RDF
... not straightfwd

Ralph: thanks. sounds like an ambitious set of plans, good that there are others lined up to join the TF. Have you identified any other WG members who might participate?

Giorgos: (scribe missed names, sorry)

<scribe> ...new members

UNKNOWN_SPEAKER: + IBM have a leading role in this topic, and BT; also Jane Hunter has been active in this area

dbooth: I think HP would be interested
... Sony? many others

guus: I trimmed a list of potential members from the first draft; potential of too many members

david: i'll check on specific individuals at HP

guus: with the Web becoming more multimedia, this likely to be of interest

ralph: any idea about timeframe? the current SWBPD charter expires in 6 months
... to be considered i guess

Giorgos: we can split plan into 2. Short and long

nearby http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rss-media/

<Zakim> scribe, you wanted to ask how this relates to Image Description (EXIF etc)

DanBri: I'm excited to see work in this area, especially work that draws together existing things
... I do have a concern about the scope; it's a lot of work to do this for multimedia
... there is some work on EXIF; taking EXIF into RDF
... also news feed syndication
... describing audio objects; there is a W3C WG -- Timed Text
... would this TF subsume other work on semantic image description?

Giorgos: you're right, some work on audio and other areas, we'l l try to fill the gaps
... we'll not concentrate on audio, but on things that aren't well covered in the past

DanBri: the Semantic Web claim is that when everyone uses RDF it will be easy to draw these different things together

Giorgos: distinctiion in past re MM semantics, ...video

(missed detail)

Giorgos: scenes etc., and characteristic frames
... at least in mpeg7

Guus: keyframes are more complex than stil images, as you have relationships to account for

Giorgos: still images are a first step
... but we have video in the web too

Guus: for short term plan, focus on still images

Giorgos: yes

Danbri: yes, good split

Guus: feedback to list please
... next call july25 probably,

Giorgos: I'll send this 5 days before, to give time for feedback

Guus: that's good
... procedure is that wg votes on making a tf active, based on a template description etc
... can organize separate telecons
... if you invite ppl that are note working for a member org, ... can cause difficulties
... don't create any big expectations with non-w3c-members that might cause later dissapointment

<Zakim> Ralph, you wanted to note WG participation expectations

Ralph: i tihnk its particularly important that tf members feel they're full WG participants
... and all TF participants should be in the WG calls
... we have at least one tf that is somewhat disconnected, which worries me
... ppl should expect to attend this meeting too

Guus: great, thanks, looking forward to new tf

3.1 PORT (Alistair)

alistair wants reviewers for next drafts

alistair: we have a review scheduled soon, want reviewers to look at change proposals
... reviewers then to look at revised docs

guus: last time was tom and mark, want same again?

alistair: i don't mind. last time they did a great job, ... but either way ok

guus: i think mark could do it

danbri: tom might be too busy already...

guus: if no more volunteers here, take it to the list

alistair: if ralph or david had time, woudl be great

Ralph: i'll consider, but feeling overcommitted already

alistair: list of changes this round is light, maybe only 3 changes to core schema
... looks like 1 piece of work that needs doing is a Note on extending skos core in different directions
... am trying to find time to do that; reviewing that could be a more substantive job too

ralph: i'm willing to help review proposed changes

alistair: we've a rule that we can only review changes that have been stable for 2 weeks

ACTION: guus ask mark if he can review next SKOS edits [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/07/11-swbp-minutes.html#action04]

DanBri: IPTC met in London last Friday to talk about linking their work
... seems very close to SKOS

3.2 OEP (Deb/Chris)

evan: jerry hobbs on the call again. discussed OWL Time, potentially have an OWL time one; a DL version of OWL-time

mike: chris Menzel (sp?) has joined Boeing temporarily, will help w/ Semantic Integration work

(lost detail)

guus: re review of n-ary relations draft, timeline?

evan: not clear currently
... some discussion of relationship to tools, eg Protege plugin
... working on that re units ontology

3.3 WordNet (Aldo)

DanBri: at what point should we consider closing the WordNet TF if we're not making progress?

Guus: if there's no progress by end of summer, we'll [propose to] close it down

guus: give me this summer to get it in place; if notthing then, we might need to close it.

3.4 XML Schema datatypes (Jeremy)

jeff: [missed detail]
... if we get comments from reviewers, it'll help us choose from the options in the Note
... we can hopefully make it a final draft in near future

guus: doesn't seem far from moving to Note status, to me
... please could coordinators consider that. Let's await jjc's input.

Vocabulary Management

DanBri: encourage people to read the VM TF meeting report http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Jul/0019.html

danbri: Covering for Tom, ... basically take a look at his report

Guus: how much longer to a Working Draft?

Alistair: hard to answer

DanBri: we encouraged Tom to start writing a draft and then discuss

3.6 RDF-in-HTML (Ben)

Ralph: we're feeling in TF that we're getting critical mass
... we were discussing details, but have moved towards having one person (tom) get it into draft first, then tweak.

guus: there was a telecon recently
... ralph had an action to discuss xhtml note

ralph: sorry that's slipped

DanBri: I have started a collection of samples
... Jeremy is revising his XSLT converter from RDF/A to RDF/XML
... see notes from IPTC meeting last Friday, though not an official TF meeting

<Ralph> W3C/IPTC meeting, 8 July 2005, London [Misha Wolf]

DanBri: need to abbreviate (via qnames) not just RDF Property names but also source and object URIs
... this need has been discussed in several places
... Mark Birbeck is considering this for the next iteration of the RDF/A design

3.7 ADTF (Libby)

libby: Apps and Demos...
.... after not having done much for a while, done some more
... about 10 ppl have added DOAP files into the wiki index
... just needs a bit more publicity, and we'll get more
... i'll do that this week

guus: consider approaching sw challenge folk

libby: yep

<libby> http://esw.w3.org/topic/SemanticWebDOAPBulletinBoard

danbri: perhaps something on the wg homepage?

ralph: +1

DanBri: I'm willing to edit the WG home page if Libby proposes text

ACTION: libby gives danbri html fragment for wg homepage [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/07/11-swbp-minutes.html#action05]

ACTION: danbri update wg homepage w/ pointer to doap registry from libby [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/07/11-swbp-minutes.html#action06]

3.8 RDFTM (Steve)

<ewallace> the recent OEP telecon was briefly discussed

guus: not heard much

[scribe missed detail re OEP sorry; can someone fill-in]

<ewallace> questions remain about the statues of the n-ary relations note

guus: i'll send mail to steve re tf

ACTION: guus send email to steve pepper re status of new rdftm draft [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/07/11-swbp-minutes.html#action07]

3.9 Tutorial Page

jeff: Benjamin is taking lead. I sent him some comments.

guus: more actions needed?

jeff: not that i know of

guus: checking faq...


ralph: Benjamin sent a note a while back on process for submissions to FAQ

<Ralph> [FAQ] Submission procedure proposition [Benjamin 2005-06-20]

ralph: didn't get much followup discussion

guus: put http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Jun/0062.html on agenda for next time (Benjamin's faq process proposal)

3.10 SE TF

jeff: deadline (for ?) is end of this month
... chris welty is removed from contrib's list and is serving isntead as a reviewer

chris: we did have some discussion about Semantic Integration

jeff: talked about onto integration, possible relationship to our TF
... evan thought it might be in scope for OEP
... so we'll leave it out of this TF

chris: still some Qs regarding n-ary relations note... what are those?

guus: just , what was deadline for review?

chris: guess we should set one! ... end of July

guus: ok

ralph: yup

(brief recap of earlier)

scribe: talked to Tony Cohn about adding a spatial ontology
... similar to what we've done with OWL Time, ie make an OWL version

Next Telecon

Guus: in 2 weeks next, July 25th I'm on holiday

RESOLVED: July 25th 2005 next meeting, Ralph or David to chair

Guus: no telcon Aug 8, next on Aug 22

guus: by end summer, we should also set goals to reach by time of next f2f
... eg notes schedule

dbooth: if you would define the abbrevations for the TFs it'd be helpful

ralph: see the WG page

dbooth: hard to crossref

guus: i'll check that, in agenda next time

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: DanBri update wg homepage w/ pointer to doap registry from Libby [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/07/11-swbp-minutes.html#action06]
[NEW] ACTION: Guus ask Mark if he can review next SKOS edits [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/07/11-swbp-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: Guus send email to Steve Pepper re status of new rdftm draft [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/07/11-swbp-minutes.html#action07]
[NEW] ACTION: Libby gives DanBri html fragment for wg homepage [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/07/11-swbp-minutes.html#action05]

ACTION: Aldo to propose an update the Wordnet TF description
ACTION: Chris and Benjamin to review SETF note [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action08]
ACTION: Gavin find out from his community and contacts if they have use cases
ACTION: Guus to comment on ODM [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action05]
ACTION: Guus review new n-ary relations editor's draft [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action04]
ACTION: Ralph suggest to XHTML TF that Jeremy's WWW2005 Talk be turned into a document [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action07]
ACTION: Ralph review new n-ary relations editor's draft [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action03]
ACTION: Ralph, DavidW, and DavidB to an initial draft of TAG httpRange-14 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/07/11-swbp-minutes.html#action02]
[DONE] ACTION: DavidW ask about the XML Schema Component [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/07/11-swbp-minutes.html#action03]
[DONE] ACTION: Guus to contact Andreas re f2f venue [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/07/11-swbp-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]
$Log: 11-swbp-minutes.html,v $
Revision 1.5  2005/07/27 12:24:32  swick
validation (cvs interaction)

Revision 1.4  2005/07/22 19:40:56  swick
Cleanup for approval

$Revision: 1.5 $ of $Date: 2005/07/27 12:24:32 $