ISSUE-14: What is the range of the HTTP dereference function?

httpRange-14

What is the range of the HTTP dereference function?

State:
CLOSED
Product:
Raised by:
Tim Berners-Lee
Opened on:
2002-03-25
Description:
TBL's argument that HTTP URIs (without "#") should be understood as referring to documents, not cars.

[httpRange-14] Resolved
From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 21:25:42 -0700
Message-Id: <3fc8037bc096da8c801ebc8c1295e09b@gbiv.com>
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Jun/0039.html
Related Actions Items:
No related actions
Related emails:
  1. Summary and minutes of the 17-18 September 2013 Advisory Board face-to-face meeting (from coralie@w3.org on 2013-10-03)
  2. Summary and minutes of the 12-13 June 2013 Advisory Board face-to-face meeting (from coralie@w3.org on 2013-07-18)
  3. Agenda for TAG F2F of 12-14 June 2012 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2012-06-09)
  4. Re: ISSUE-14: Is issue httpRange-14 really open? (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2012-05-08)
  5. RE: ISSUE-14: Is issue httpRange-14 really open? (from masinter@adobe.com on 2012-05-07)
  6. Re: ISSUE-14: Is issue httpRange-14 really open? (from rees@mumble.net on 2012-05-07)
  7. Re: ISSUE-14: Is issue httpRange-14 really open? (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2012-05-04)
  8. Re: ISSUE-14: Is issue httpRange-14 really open? (from rees@mumble.net on 2012-05-04)
  9. ISSUE-14: Is issue httpRange-14 really open? (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2012-05-04)
  10. Draft minutes from 2012-05-03 TAG telcon (from jeni@jenitennison.com on 2012-05-03)
  11. Agenda for the TAG teleconference of 3 May 2012 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2012-05-01)
  12. There will be no TAG teleconference tomorrow, 29 March 2012 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2012-03-28)
  13. Re: URIs, used in RDF, that do not have associated documentation (from tore.eriksson@po.rd.taisho.co.jp on 2012-03-27)
  14. URIs, used in RDF, that do not have associated documentation (from rees@mumble.net on 2012-03-26)
  15. Re: Happy 10th birthday ISSUE-14 (from ndw@nwalsh.com on 2012-03-25)
  16. Re: Happy 10th birthday ISSUE-14 (from timbl@w3.org on 2012-03-25)
  17. Re: Happy 10th birthday ISSUE-14 (from melvincarvalho@gmail.com on 2012-03-25)
  18. Happy 10th birthday ISSUE-14 (from rees@mumble.net on 2012-03-25)
  19. Re: Preliminary TAG F2F Agenda ready for review (from jeni@jenitennison.com on 2012-03-22)
  20. Preliminary TAG F2F Agenda ready for review (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2012-03-21)
  21. Re: Call for proposals to amend the 'httpRange-14 resolution' (from david@dbooth.org on 2012-03-01)
  22. Agenda for TAG F2F 4-6 January 2012 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-12-30)
  23. Agenda for the TAG teleconference of 22 December 2012 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-12-20)
  24. Re: Draft minutes for telcon of 2011-11-10 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-11-11)
  25. Draft minutes for telcon of 2011-11-10 (from jeni@jenitennison.com on 2011-11-11)
  26. Re: Agenda for the TAG teleconference of 10 November 2011 (from amy@w3.org on 2011-11-10)
  27. Re: Agenda for the TAG teleconference of 10 November 2011 (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2011-11-10)
  28. Re: Agenda for the TAG teleconference of 10 November 2011 (from Daniel.Appelquist@vodafone.com on 2011-11-10)
  29. Agenda for the TAG teleconference of 10 November 2011 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-11-10)
  30. Agenda for TAG F2F meeting: 13-15 September 2011 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-09-05)
  31. Minutes for September 1 Telcon (from jeni@jenitennison.com on 2011-09-04)
  32. Very preliminary agenda and required reading for 13-15 Sept. 2011 TAG F2F now available (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-08-30)
  33. Re: Draft Minutes from 03-03 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-03-04)
  34. Re: Draft Minutes from 03-03 (from Daniel.Appelquist@vodafone.com on 2011-03-04)
  35. Re: Draft Minutes from 03-03 (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2011-03-04)
  36. Draft Minutes from 03-03 (from Daniel.Appelquist@vodafone.com on 2011-03-04)
  37. Re: Agenda for TAG teleconference of 3 March 2011 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-03-02)
  38. Re: Agenda for TAG teleconference of 3 March 2011 (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2011-03-02)
  39. Minutes for 24 Feb 2011 TAG teleconference (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-03-02)
  40. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 3 March 2011 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-03-02)
  41. Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 24 February 2011 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-02-23)
  42. Re: Under what issue to track new TAG work on #/303 vs. 200 issue raised by Harry Halpin (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-02-21)
  43. Stable agenda for TAG F2F of 8-10 February 2011 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-02-05)
  44. Preliminary version of the Agenda for the TAG F2F Meeting of 8-10 February 2011 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-01-30)
  45. Re: FW: New Version Notification for draft-hakala-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-00 (fwd) (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2010-03-22)
  46. Re: [State of HTML WG Unresolved Issues] (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-08-25)
  47. [State of HTML WG Unresolved Issues] (from raman@google.com on 2009-08-25)
  48. RE: Please review immediatly if possible: draft TAG status report (from skw@hp.com on 2009-03-02)
  49. Re: Please review immediatly if possible: draft TAG status report (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2009-02-27)
  50. Re: Please review immediatly if possible: draft TAG status report (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-27)
  51. Re: Question on the boundaries of content negotiation in the context of the Web of Data (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-18)
  52. TAG Telcon Agenda for 5th February 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-03)
  53. TAG Telcon Agenda: 18th Oct 2007: IETF/W3C mtg; tagSoupIntegration-54; IRIEverywhere-27; UrnsAndRegistries; httpRedirections-57; Nov F2F (from skw@hp.com on 2007-10-17)
  54. TAG Telcon Agenda: 13th Oct 2007: httpRedirections-57, namespaceDocument-8, Mobile Ajax Workshop, XMLVersioning-41 (from skw@hp.com on 2007-10-10)
  55. TAG Telcon Agenda for 4th October 2007: binaryXML-30; XMLVersioning-41; httpRedirections-57 (from skw@hp.com on 2007-10-04)
  56. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from richard@cyganiak.de on 2007-10-01)
  57. RE: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from mikael@nilsson.name on 2007-10-01)
  58. RE: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from dbooth@hp.com on 2007-10-01)
  59. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from connolly@w3.org on 2007-10-01)
  60. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from chimezie@gmail.com on 2007-09-30)
  61. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from chimezie@gmail.com on 2007-09-30)
  62. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from alanruttenberg@gmail.com on 2007-09-30)
  63. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from alanruttenberg@gmail.com on 2007-09-30)
  64. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from richard@cyganiak.de on 2007-09-29)
  65. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from danbri@danbri.org on 2007-09-29)
  66. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from richard@cyganiak.de on 2007-09-29)
  67. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from richard@cyganiak.de on 2007-09-29)
  68. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from chimezie@gmail.com on 2007-09-28)
  69. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from phayes@ihmc.us on 2007-09-28)
  70. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from connolly@w3.org on 2007-09-28)
  71. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from richard@cyganiak.de on 2007-09-28)
  72. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from chimezie@gmail.com on 2007-09-28)
  73. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from richard@cyganiak.de on 2007-09-28)
  74. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from chimezie@gmail.com on 2007-09-28)
  75. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from connolly@w3.org on 2007-09-28)
  76. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from richard@cyganiak.de on 2007-09-28)
  77. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from connolly@w3.org on 2007-09-28)
  78. RE: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from dbooth@hp.com on 2007-09-13)
  79. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from connolly@w3.org on 2007-09-13)
  80. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from phayes@ihmc.us on 2007-09-13)
  81. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) on 2007-09-13)
  82. Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from chimezie@gmail.com on 2007-09-12)
  83. re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from connolly@w3.org on 2007-09-12)
  84. re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from chimezie@gmail.com on 2007-09-12)
  85. XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14] (from connolly@w3.org on 2007-09-12)
  86. RE: TAG switching to Tracker for Issues List maintenance andAction Item tracking. (from skw@hp.com on 2007-08-28)
  87. Re: TAG switching to Tracker for Issues List maintenance and Action Item tracking. (from distobj@acm.org on 2007-08-25)
  88. Re: TAG switching to Tracker for Issues List maintenance and Action Item tracking. (from connolly@w3.org on 2007-08-24)
  89. TAG switching to Tracker for Issues List maintenance and Action Item tracking. (from skw@hp.com on 2007-08-23)
  90. RE: Issues List and Action Item Tracking. (from dom@w3.org on 2007-07-03)
  91. RE: Issues List and Action Item Tracking. (from skw@hp.com on 2007-06-29)
  92. Re: Issues List and Action Item Tracking. (from connolly@w3.org on 2007-06-15)
  93. Issues List and Action Item Tracking. (from skw@hp.com on 2007-06-15)
  94. (from on 2007-05-31)
  95. W3C Technical Architecture Group Face to Face Meeting - 30 May 2007 (Wednesday) (from on 2007-05-30)
  96. TAG (from on 2007-02-26)
  97. TAG (from on 2007-02-26)
  98. TAG Telcon of 7 February 2006 (from on 2006-02-27)
  99. (from on 2006-02-27)
  100. Minutes of TAG face-to-face meeting, 14-16 June 2005, Cambridge, MA, USA (from on 2005-06-15)
  101. Minutes of TAG face-to-face meeting, 14-16 June 2005, Cambridge, MA, USA (from on 2005-06-15)
  102. Minutes of TAG face-to-face meeting, 14-16 June 2005, Cambridge, MA, USA (from on 2005-06-15)
  103. Minutes of TAG face-to-face meeting, 14-16 June 2005, Cambridge, MA, USA (from on 2005-06-15)
  104. TAG Weekly (from on 2005-05-31)
  105. W3C TAG Telcon (from on 2005-05-03)
  106. TAG (from on 2005-03-29)
  107. 15 March 2005 Tag Teleconference (from on 2005-03-15)
  108. Tag weekly meeting Feb 7, 2005 (from on 2005-02-07)
  109. Minutes of 12-14 May 2004 TAG FTF meeting in Boston (from on 2004-05-13)
  110. Minutes of 12-14 May 2004 TAG FTF meeting in Boston (from on 2004-05-13)
  111. Minutes of 12-14 May 2004 TAG FTF meeting in Boston (from on 2004-05-12)
  112. Minutes of 28 July 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-07-28)
  113. Minutes of 21-23 July 2003 TAG face-to-face meeting (from on 2003-07-22)
  114. Minutes of 23 June 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-06-23)
  115. Minutes of 7 June 2004 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-06-07)
  116. Minutes of 6-7 Feb 2003 TAG ftf meeting (from on 2003-02-06)
  117. Minutes of 6-7 Feb 2003 TAG ftf meeting (from on 2003-02-06)
  118. Minutes of 27 Jan 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-01-27)
  119. Minutes of 6 Jan 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-01-06)
  120. Minutes of 24-25 Sep 2002 TAG ftf meeting (from on 2002-09-24)
  121. Lightly-edited IRC log of TAG Sep 16 telecon (from Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> on 2002-09-16)
  122. Minutes of 29 July 2002 TAG teleconference (from on 2002-07-29)
  123. Minutes of 22 July 2002 TAG teleconference (from on 2002-07-22)
  124. Minutes of 15 July 2002 TAG teleconference (from on 2002-07-15)
  125. Minutes for 1 July 2002 TAG teleconference (from on 2002-07-01)
  126. [httpRange-14] What is the range of the HTTP dereference function? (from Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org> on 2002-03-25)

Related notes:

re-opened 30 May in order to write up earlier decision
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2007/05/30-minutes#item04

24 Aug 2007, 00:00:00

Roy's announcement of the resolution: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Jun/0039.html

Jonathan Rees, 22 Mar 2010, 15:38:33

Here is the entry in the old (pre-tracker) issues list. Has links to useful documents, action history, etc.
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html?type=1#httpRange-14

Jonathan Rees, 15 Feb 2011, 21:41:03

On scouring the archives, here's the earliest TAG discussion of the issue I could find:
http://www.w3.org/2002/03/18-tagmem-irc.html
and Tim's followup email
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Mar/0092.html

Jonathan Rees, 21 Feb 2011, 15:10:37

Not sure why this was showing closed. Clearly we're working on this, and the last change log entry in 2007 shows it being reopened. So, I'm marking it OPEN.

Noah Mendelsohn, 4 May 2012, 14:11:50

Note that, as of 2011 or so, most of the active work relating to this is being tracked under ISSUE-57, which is somewhat broader than ISSUE-14. ISSUE-14 should be closed when/if we come to a stable answer on the range of the HTTP dereference function in particular.

Noah Mendelsohn, 4 May 2012, 15:07:33

Re-CLOSING, at least for now, due to concerns raised by TAG members regarding lack of explicit decision to re-open.

Noah Mendelsohn, 8 May 2012, 14:22:34

Display change log ATOM feed


Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Peter Linss <peter.linss@hp.com>, Daniel Appelquist <appelquist@gmail.com>, Chairs, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.325 2014-09-10 21:42:02 ted Exp $