W3C

Technical Architecture Group Teleconference

25 Oct 2012

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Tim Berners-Lee, Yves Lafon, Ashok Malhotra, Noah Mendelsohn, Jeni Tennison, Henry S. Thompson
Regrets
Larry Masinter
Absent
Peter Linss, Jonathan Rees
Chair
Noah Mendelsohn
Scribe
Henry S. Thompson

Contents


Convene/Admin

NM: No call next week, 2012-10-01
... Next call will be 2012-10-08

AM: Regrets for 8 November

NM: RESOLUTION: approved http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2012/10/18-minutes as minutes for 2012-10-18 call
... Can we publish 2012-10-07 f2f minutes?

YL: I think we should wait

HST: I agree -- JAR needs to update

NM: HST, please chase JAR

HST: will do

NM: Once that is done, I presume we can go ahead and publish
... Two new drafts are out?

YL: FragIDs is out, Pub and Link should go out today

NM: FragIDs is a Last Call

YL: Pub and Link will be Last Call as well

TPAC

NM: Product Page index and individual pages should be correct, so that we can point to that/them at TPAC w/o embarrassment

AM: Waiting for P&L to be published, will do update then, pbly tomorrow

NM: Don't forget the index page

<JeniT> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/products/

NM: Index should be consistent with page itself

JT: RB won't be updating the Privacy page. . .

AM: PL was going to look at it

NM: Can anyone to a quick fix on that?

JT: I'll do something when I do the FragIDs page

<noah> Discuss any preparation needed for TPAC

<noah> AB syncup?

<noah> Publishing and linking last call (next item)?

<noah> Election procedures

<noah> Other?

HST: I will check on persistence and URIs

NM: HST is taking the lead wrt presentation planning

HST: I have done nothing yet, because waiting for meeting on Monday with LM, PL and AM

<noah> JT: Do you want 3 slides from me?

HST: We'll give you some input

HST: Yes, great, we may give you some "anticipatory feedback"

NM: There will be a lunch with the AB, people have signed up

AM: Anything specific you (NM) want brought up?

NM: No -- anyone else?
... Election procedures?

AM: Got the feeling that the AB don't want to talk about it much

NM: If we pushed hard, they might do something

NM: How hard should we push Single Transferable Vote

HST: Let's start by getting a sense of where a broader cross-section of the AB is on this.

HST: Might be worth pursuing, depending on how others on the AB feel who haven't spoken up yet.

NM: Anything to add to the agenda?

Pending Review items

[None]

NM: Once we move the two pubs out the door for real, we need to have some other topics to get working on. . .

Overdue Action items

<noah> ACTION-617?

<trackbot> ACTION-617 -- Yves Lafon to work with Noah to take http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-namespaceState-20060329/ off the Rec track -- due 2012-10-23 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/617

YL: Hope to resolve after TPAC

<noah> ACTION-617 Due 2012-11-08

<trackbot> ACTION-617 Work with Noah to take http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-namespaceState-20060329/ off the Rec track due date now 2012-11-08

YL: SotD review?

NM: Send it to everyone

<noah> ACTION-748?

<trackbot> ACTION-748 -- Ashok Malhotra to prepare draft of Publishing and Linking by Oct 15 -- due 2012-10-15 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/748

<noah> close ACTION-748

<trackbot> ACTION-748 prepare draft of Publishing and Linking by Oct 15 closed

NM: Close this and replace with "respond to LC feedback"?

AM: Closing date?

YL: 2012-12-13

NM: So we'll try to have responses ready before the f2f

<noah> ACTION: Ashok to prepare response to last call feedback on Publishing and Linking - Due 2013-01-07 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2012/10/25-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-763 - prepare response to last call feedback on Publishing and Linking [on Ashok Malhotra - due 2013-01-07].

AM: So we need to ask people to review this, specifically
... JAR and LM to make suggestions

NM: Need an action?

AM: Yes, OK

<noah> ACTION: Ashok to arrange for expert review of Publishing and Linking last call draft - Due 2012-11-08 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2012/10/25-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-764 - arrange for expert review of Publishing and Linking last call draft [on Ashok Malhotra - due 2012-11-08].

<noah> ACTION-718?

<trackbot> ACTION-718 -- Ashok Malhotra to propose goals and success critera for TAG work on architectural issues relating to storage sync, linked data, etc. -- due 2012-10-10 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/718

<noah> ACTION-718 Due 2012-11-13

<trackbot> ACTION-718 Propose goals and success critera for TAG work on architectural issues relating to storage sync, linked data, etc. due date now 2012-11-13

<noah> ACTION-724?

<trackbot> ACTION-724 -- Henry Thompson to investigate possible TAG efforts on URI scheme proliferation and extension points -- due 2012-10-05 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/724

<noah> ACTION-724?

<trackbot> ACTION-724 -- Henry Thompson to investigate possible TAG efforts on URI scheme proliferation and extension points -- due 2012-10-05 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/724

HST: Talked last time

<noah> ACTION-724 Due 2012-11-06

<trackbot> ACTION-724 investigate possible TAG efforts on URI scheme proliferation and extension points due date now 2012-11-06

<noah> ACTION-23?

<trackbot> ACTION-23 -- Henry Thompson to track progress of #int bug 1974 in the XML Schema namespace document in the XML Schema WG -- due 2012-10-05 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/23

<noah> That was opened 2007...at least we're persistent

HST: There's actually been recent discussion

<noah> ACTION-23 Due 2012-11-06

<trackbot> ACTION-23 track progress of #int bug 1974 in the XML Schema namespace document in the XML Schema WG due date now 2012-11-06

<noah> ACTION-560?

<trackbot> ACTION-560 -- Henry Thompson to review HTML polyglot last call -- due 2012-10-05 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/560

HST: I did my actions long ago, should have been pending. Sent personal comments in. Some things got changed. Some got taken to XML Core and some good things came of that.

HST: So, overtaken.

<noah> close ACTION-560

<trackbot> ACTION-560 Review HTML polyglot last call closed

<noah> ACTION-742?

<trackbot> ACTION-742 -- Henry Thompson to excavate a statement on the TAG voting issue from email/minutes that we can consider as a basis for email to the AB -- due 2012-10-04 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/742

<noah> close ACTION-742

<trackbot> ACTION-742 Excavate a statement on the TAG voting issue from email/minutes that we can consider as a basis for email to the AB closed

<noah> ACTION-672?

<trackbot> ACTION-672 -- Jeni Tennison to work with PLH to create W3C-sponsored registry of HTML extensions, and get that referenced from HTML media type registration, per http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2012Jan/0048.html -- due 2012-05-29 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/672

JT: Needs discussion -- I reached out to PLH and Mike Smith
... got no response
... There is the new Web Platform initiative, right?

YL: Not at w3.org, but like a Wiki, can be editted

<Yves> http://www.webplatform.org/

JT: Does it have a list of all the HTML extensions under discussion

JT: Because if it does, all we have to do is include a pointer to that page in the media type registration for text/html

HST: I'd be surprised if IETF would accept a media type registration that pointed to a community-editable page

<noah> Jeni, regarding privacy update to product page, check out ACTION-716 http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/716

<JeniT> ... it's not as simple as having a pointer to that page

JT: On the other hand, there is the pressure within IETF towards lighter touch wrt registries

NM: Reviewed vs. unreviewed?

JT: There is IETF pressure to move toward more wiki-like registration

HST: I wasn't aware of a two-phase story

JT: More the idea that if you want to encourage people to register things, a lighter-weight process is needed

JT: There will be some kind of status field . . .

NM: So something as important as, say, image/jpg, would have to be able to move from just proposed to seriously endorsed

JT: Push it back

<noah> ACTION-672 Due 2012-11-06

<trackbot> ACTION-672 Work with PLH to create W3C-sponsored registry of HTML extensions, and get that referenced from HTML media type registration, per http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2012Jan/0048.html due date now 2012-11-06

JT: Two/three weeks -- I can try to make some progress at TPAC

<noah> ACTION-741?

<trackbot> ACTION-741 -- Noah Mendelsohn to check with Norm Walsh on closing out HTML/XML unification work -- due 2012-10-04 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/741

<noah> ACTION-741 Due 2012-11-06

<trackbot> ACTION-741 Check with Norm Walsh on closing out HTML/XML unification work due date now 2012-11-06

<noah> ACTION-716?

<trackbot> ACTION-716 -- Noah Mendelsohn to update privacy product page to indicate a) possible handoff to other group b) liaison with IAB & IETF privacy interest group c) goal to initiate larger activity in privacy - Due: 2012-07-31 -- due 2012-06-19 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/716

NM: JT, you had said you might update the PP index -- this action is the relevant basis

JT: This looks like Privacy as a whole, not the 'old' API minimization

<noah> ACTION-762?

<trackbot> ACTION-762 -- Peter Linss to prepare for review a draft of a TAG Note focusing on the minimization message in the privacy finding. PL to check w/Robin and Dan first. -- due 2013-11-27 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/762

JT: That due date looks wrong

<noah> ACTION-762?

<trackbot> ACTION-762 -- Peter Linss to prepare for review a draft of a TAG Note focusing on the minimization message in the privacy finding. PL to check w/Robin and Dan first. -- due 2012-11-27 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/762

<noah> ACTION-716 Due 2013-01-06

<trackbot> ACTION-716 Update privacy product page to indicate a) possible handoff to other group b) liaison with IAB & IETF privacy interest group c) goal to initiate larger activity in privacy - Due: 2012-07-31 due date now 2013-01-06

<noah> action-760?

<trackbot> ACTION-760 -- Noah Mendelsohn to send Steve Zilles note saying Henry, Larry, Peter, Ashok, Tim and Jeni (Wed) could meet with AB -- due 2012-10-16 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/760

<noah> close ACTION-760

<trackbot> ACTION-760 Send Steve Zilles note saying Henry, Larry, Peter, Ashok, Tim and Jeni (Wed) could meet with AB closed

<noah> ACTION-743?

<trackbot> ACTION-743 -- Noah Mendelsohn to schedule F2F discussion of issues report to Jeff Jaffe, see ACTION-563 -- due 2012-10-04 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/743

NM: This needs to be retargetted at the Jan f2f

<noah> ACTION-743?

<trackbot> ACTION-743 -- Noah Mendelsohn to schedule F2F discussion of issues report to Jeff Jaffe, see ACTION-563 -- due 2012-10-04 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/743

<noah> ACTION-692?

<trackbot> ACTION-692 -- Noah Mendelsohn to consider JAR's april request to discuss, for 10 mins, issues list at oct f2f -- due 2012-09-10 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/692

NM: I view the old traditional issues list as a historical record of open issues of architectural significance
... whereas the product page records our current priorities

<noah> ACTION-692?

<trackbot> ACTION-692 -- Noah Mendelsohn to consider JAR's april request to discuss, for 10 mins, issues list at oct f2f -- due 2012-09-10 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/692

NM: If they aren't converging, we have a potential problem
... So I will bring this back for consideration

TPAC

NM: I have reserved rooms for Monday morning and Friday afternoon

HST: I will be at WG meeting that morning (presume Monday). Peter too, I suspect. Suggest we duck out of our WGs late morning ahead of lunch.

HST: Sounds like Ashok and Larry are not in WGs. Perhaps you should meet up with Tim Monday morning?

TBL: There's WebID and RDF (scribe infers Tim wants to go to those)

TBL: Could do breakfast

AM: When is WebID

TBL: Mon/Tue
... Same time as RDF WG
... LDP is Thu/Fri

NM: OK?

HST: Catch as catch can

<timbl> Actually I am leaving Friday early afternoon: 3:30 pm

NM: Adjourned

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Ashok to arrange for expert review of Publishing and Linking last call draft - Due 2012-11-08 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2012/10/25-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Ashok to prepare response to last call feedback on Publishing and Linking - Due 2013-01-07 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2012/10/25-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012-11-27 01:56:07 $