I THINK THIS NEEDS TO BE EXPANDED OUT TO SEVERAL ARTICLES, TO COVER DIFFERENT ASPECTS, SOMETHING LIKE:
- WRITING A PLAN FOR A11Y TESTING, INCLUDING USE OF REAL USER TESTING, CONFORMANCE CRITERIA, AUTOMATED TOOLS, AND GOOD OLD COMMON SENSE
- THE LEGAL SIDE OF THINGS, EXPLAINED IN DETAIL
- DECIPHERING WCAG, AND OTHER CONFORMANCE CRITERIA SUCH AS SECTION 508
- ACCESSIBILITY TOOLS, WHAT TO USE AND WHAT TO AVOID. HOW FAR WILL THESE GET YOU?
- REAL A11Y TESTING WITH REAL PEOPLE, HOW TO PUT TOGETHER FOCUS GROUPS, WHAT TO LOOK FOR HERE
Original photo credit: Ben Ward
After studying a selection of medieval kings, eighteenth-century scientists, and other historical eccentrics at university, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis somehow ended up working as a Web Developer at Yahoo!, and then as a Senior Developer at VisualDNA. His favourite things include a decent meal shared with friends, a good film in the cinema, lazing on the grass in the sunshine, and solving difficult problems by reference to primary sources, first principles, and empirical evidence.