From W3C Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

It is expected that the TPAC2012 Program Committee will use this wiki to plan the TPAC2012 Plenary day.

Next meeting of Program Committee

Next meeting: None scheduled yet.

  • 617 761 6200, code TPAC (8722)

Requests for pre-selected sessions


Before the Plenary

    • June: Invite people to start thinking of breakout sessions (email to TPAC attendees).
    • August: Send (reminder)
    • 17 September: Update TPAC 2012 pages to reflect program committee plans.
    • 18 September: Share plenary plan with meeting attendees with third invitation to propose sessions. Explain briefly pre-select process and any process to upgrade to plenary. Point to updated documentation/FAQ. Invite people (using w3c-ac-forum and wiki) to request sessions they'd like to hear about.
    • 19 September to 10 October: Program committee 1-on-1 outreach to potential session leads.
      • @@More work to do on how the 1-1 outreach will happen, e.g., staff input
    • 19 October: Announce pre-selected breakout sessions and last push for session entries. Also announce that there will be a brief explanation of how the day works 30 minutes before the 30 Oct reception starts.
    • 29 October: Make available grid near registration so people see sessions and can start putting their own on Monday and Tuesday
    • 30 October: Dress rehearsal (to see that we have all we need). Before the reception show people how it works. (This was great during TPAC 2011 at the bar with the Japanese participants.)
    • 31 October: Plenary


    • Jeff: More outreach to CGs to propose breakout sessions.

Day before plenary (301 October)

  • Ian to work with Alex to set up the grid so it is ready for Weds morning.
  • 18:00-18:45 - Ian (and Tantek?) invite people to a rehearsal for those who want to see how it works. Will take place in Forum 2.

Day of the Plenary (31 October)

Live version: Plenary_Day_Schedule

  • 08:30-09:00: W3C Update*, Jeff Jaffe
  • 09:00-09:30: New and upcoming work. Ian to chair 3-5 min presentations.
    • Aim for one laptop.
  • 09:30-10:30: Agenda building*, Tantek Çelik and Ian Jacobs.
    • 9:30-9:35 - Ice breaker. Say hello to one person you don't know.
    • 9:35-9:40 - How it works. Answer FAQ questions:
      • What if there are too many sessions? (merge or we will find space)
      • What if nobody comes?
      • How should I run my session? See printed thing, web version, and we will go over live during this hour.
      • What reporting options (wiki, end of day, email, maybe AC meeting)
      • Use of Wiki and IRC? good practices for running a session
    • 9:40-10:20: People put ideas on board.
    • 10:20-10:30: Review of good practices for running a session including encouraging international participation.
      • Add sessions to the online grid (plenary day home page).
      • Remind people to go straight from break to the first breakout session. The grid will be where breaks and lunch are located (and online).
  • 10:30-11:00: Break
  • 11:00-11:50: Breakouts
  • 12:00-13:20: Lunch
  • 13:30-14:20: Breakouts
  • 14:30-15:20: Breakouts
  • 15:20-16:00: Break
  • 16:00-16:50: Breakouts
  • 17:00-17:30: Sharing results* (Ian Jacobs to chair)
    • 17:00: Ian will reserve seats in the front row for people who want to share. He will ask them to move there, calling on the first person available to start. 3-4 minutes each ideally.
  • 17:30-17:40: Wrap-up*, thanks, announce TPAC 2013 location if known, Jeff Jaffe
  • 18h30-21h30: Dinner


    • Can earlier meetings continue elsewhere if they want to keep chatting?
    • Can people take lunches to their breakout rooms? (Answer from Alex: No)

After the Plenary

    • Comm Team reviews all the session summaries and builds a comprehensive summary to emphasize integration of the sessions into our broader work plan.

Notes on the agenda (especially wrt TPAC 2011)

    • Schedule makes explicit travel time between sessions (a comment from TPAC 2011).
    • Only two plenary sessions. (TPAC 2011 had three.) Jeff's was appreciated (and is repeated). The other is 30 minutes and will be LTs so people can share info about new work as broadly as possible.
    • More discussion time. TPAC 2011 had 3:45. TPAC 2012 has 4:30.
    • Scheduled breaks (suggested based on TPAC 2011).
    • Different slot lengths for different needs; clearer labeling of slot purpose.
    • Sharing session reduced from TPAC 2011's 75 minutes to 30 minutes. There are various ways to share (per Jeff):
      • Sharing session (determine number and max allocation at beginning of session)
      • At Thursday AC meeting as appropriate
      • In a new CG
      • Electronically (e.g., recording in wiki, then sharing on mailing lists)
    • We have rooms for approximately 32 breakouts.
    • There are no pre-selected plenaries. We can, however, choose to guarantee up to 25% of the slots for those people who request a guaranteed slot (by some date) and who commit to organizing it.

See #Some ideas for changes from TPAC 2011

Ideas for sessions to encourage

    • Dave Raggett or Adam (Intel) about Web and Automotive upcoming workshop.

Room logistics

Room details in the FAQ.

Notes: the plenary is on Forum level, all the TPAC meeting rooms are on the right side on the conference center

Travel times:

    • From plenary to breakouts: 2-4 mins walk
    • From breakouts to lunch: 2-4 mins walk (next to plenary room)


  • The plenary is on Forum level, all the TPAC meeting rooms are on the right side on the conference center
  • We can hold the breaks next to the breakout rooms, or in front on the Plenary room.

See also map of the space (PDF).

Good practice for session chairs


Material requirements

    • Place to draw the grid in the plenary room.
      • But then the grid needs to be central to the breakout rooms so that people don't have to go back and forth to the plenary room in between breakouts.
    • Big postits and fat dark markers
    • Alex confirms that the name of each breakout room is above the door.

Some ideas for changes from TPAC 2011

Before the meeting / pre-selected sessions

    • Some people were concerned that they were investing in preparing for discussion without a guarantee that they would have a room.
    • Revisit the balance of pre-selected sessions.
    • Allow people to request a session. (We did this in the wiki, but is there a way to better match requests with proposals the day of the meeting?)

Session logistics

    • Revisit the length of each breakout session. Be clearer about travel time.
    • Perhaps add more time between sessions to allow for travel, hallway discussions
    • We didn't use the "reserved slots" in the afternoon. Perhaps we don't need them, or they weren't advertised sufficiently well.
    • Accessibility
      • Of grid
      • Of slides. Encourage HTML; if can't do HTML then other options includes powerpoint (link to accessibility tips). If you use PDF, please use tagged PDF (link to PDF techniques). See WAI resource on accessible resources
    • Should there be even more breakout sessions (bleeding over into tues and thurs)?

Session management

    • Even if sessions are diverse, it may be useful to set some expectations about how to run a session. E.g., at the start of each session clear statement of goals. This will also allow people to choose quickly whether they want to stay. Other people mentioned that without context, when the entered a discussion they were lost.
    • Encourage people to say what sort of session they plan to organize (e.g., panel or presentation component?)
    • Templates? facilitators?


    • There were differing views on the sharing 2-minutes in the final plenary. For some it was too short. (People were very good about putting information in the wiki!). One suggestion was to have reporting the next day.
    • Come up with ideas for turning the discussion into something that can be acted upon. E.g., ask them "what next step is appropriate?"