Socialwg/Social API/Flickr API
Flickr users Oauth 1.0 Revision A. It had its own authentication API, which is deprecated in favor of OAuth. There is a limited permission system in place.
The API has a variety of request (REST, XML-RPC, SOAP) and response formats (REST, XML-RPC, SOAP, JSON, PHP(?!!)).
Unlike some other APIs reviewed in this round, Flickr has just a few endpoints, and instead many methods.
Photo uploading gets its own special endpoint, since it deals with a large amount of binary data. Unlike other endpoints, there is no method to specify, and parameters are simple query parameters on a POST.
Once you've authenticated, you can upload by POST'ing to the following URL:
The arguments are as following:
- photo: the actual file you're uploading
- title: (optional)
- description: (optional) permits limited HTML
- tags: (optional) list of tags, separated by space
- is_public, is_friend, is_family: (optional) 0 for no, 1 for yes, says who can see it
- safety_level: (optional) think Google "safe search"... 1 is "safe", 2 is "moderate", 3 is "restricted". moderate/restricted media may not show up in certain situations. (Might we adopt a "safety" system for SocialWG?)
- content_type: (optional) 1 is photo, 2 is screenshot, 3 is other
- hidden: (optional) 1 to show in global search, 2 to hide
Method API endpoints
Most other submissions are made to one or more endpoints. Unlike some other APIs reviewed, there are not multiple endpoints per function, but a few endpoints depending on what method of request the API user would prefer to submit through.
For example, if you are chooing to make REST-style requests, there is a specific REST endpoint URL to which you specify which method you are using as one of the parameters. For example:
calls the method "flickr.test.echo" with the argument "name" set to "value".
All requests are expected to be encoded in UTF-8.
Docs on various request methods:
Additionally, while not separate endpoints, users can request different response types by setting the "format" to a number of different parameters. Docs for the following response types: