From W3C Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Pointer Events group has two types of meetings and this document includes general information about the meetings:

  1. Distributed meetings, aka teleconferences and voice conferences
  2. Face-to-face (f2f) meetings


  • The WG's Code - describes how the group actually operates including links to various resources
  • GitHub repository - GitHub is used for all bugs, issues, and as a tracker for spec-related actions
  • public-pointer-events - archive of the group's Public mail list

TPAC 2018

The Pointer Events Working Group will be meeting at TPAC 2018 in Saint Clair 5, Level 2 - Saint-Clair on Thursday 25 October 14:00 - 18:00 (with potential for covering further items that we don't get through on Friday 26 October 9:00 - 13:00). Proposed discussion topics are:

  • some housekeeping/cleanup: two dead (?) branches on the GH repo - can these be removed? "reduce-hit-tests" and "revert-198-gh-pages"
  • browser implementation discussion: status on where we're at with real-world support; any quirks that came up during implementation? (I found a few issues recently with touch-action: pan-x and touch-action: pan-y being VERY fickle about not straying off the vertical/horizontal when performing actions like swiping, as it almost immediately fired touchcancel...do we need/can we informatively define some "threshold" type behavior?)
  • (at 15:00, to ensure that PLH can join) current status: extension of the WG charter until December, PE Level 2 advancing to Proposed Recommendation
  • future of the WG: do we intend to recharter for work on PE Level 3? https://github.com/w3c/pointerevents/blob/pe3-charter/charter/pointerevents-charter.html
  • we have some items in GH marked as future-v3 https://github.com/w3c/pointerevents/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Afuture-v3 - but more importantly, do we have sufficient commitment from all participants to warrant recharter, or has interest faded (just looking at the response rate - or lack thereof - I get from messages sent to the list)? Is there a chance Microsoft, and perhaps even Apple (now that PE is "in development" for Safari/Webkit), would want to join a PE Level 3 group?
  • PEP: the Pointer Events Polyfill (which was taken up by the jQuery Foundation) https://github.com/jquery/PEP/ appears to be in limbo (due to politics/mergers/refocus of the jQuery Foundation/Node Foundation); should the WG, or one of the participant members (Mozilla? Google? ...) take up the mantle of PEP? If so, how would we go about this?


Draft agendas for distributed meetings are sent to the group's public-pointer-events mail list at least 24 hours before the meeting starts.

F2f meetings are announced at least eight weeks before the start of the meeting. Draft agendas for f2f meetings are sent to the group's public-pointer-events mail list at least two weeks before the meeting begins.

IRC and Meeting Resources

IRC will be used for every meeting to record minutes. The group's IRC channel is #pointerevents (irc://irc.w3.org/).

If you do do not have an IRC client, or have trouble connecting to IRC from behind a firewall, W3C offers a browser-based IRC Web interface (note: you must have a Member or Invited Expert account to use this).

Some resources regarding meeting bots, minute taking and the teleconference bridge:

Meeting Scribes

Each meeting will have one or more Scribes that are responsible for recording the meeting's minutes directly in the group's IRC channel. The group will use the RRSAgent IRC bot to facilitate taking minutes.

When someone joins the meeting via the phone bridge, the Zakim bot will announce the participant by their phone number or some other identifier. To associate a person's name with a phone number, use the following, assuming Zakim reports someone is using phone number +1.519.880.aaaa and that someone is Rick Byers:

  • zakim, aaaa is Rick_Byers (Note: only the last four digits/letters of the phone number is used)

If Zakim reports a person has joined with an identifier such as +[IPCaller] or +[Microsoft], those ids can be mapped to names via the following, assuming the former is actually Olli Pettay and the later is Jacob Rossi:

  • zakim, [IPCaller] is Olli_Pettay
  • zakim, [Microsoft] is Jacob_Rossi

Among the general expectations of the Chair or Scribe are:

  • Record meeting boilerplate via the following keywords:
    • ScribeNick: scribe's_IRC_Nick
      • Example: ScribeNick: ArtB
    • Scribe: Firstname_LastName
      • Example: Scribe: Art_Barstow
    • Agenda: URI_of_the_draft_agenda
    • Date: Day Month Year
      • Example: Date: 27 November 2012
    • Chair: Firstname_Lastname
      • Example: Chair: Art_Barstow
    • Meeting: Pointer Events WG Voice Conference

  • Use the Present macro to record all meeting participants. The general syntax to add one person is Present+ Firstname_Lastname and a comma-separated list is used to add additional attendees. For a list of the group's participants, see Public group list. Examples:
    • Present+ Art_Barstow
    • Present+ Art_Barstow, Doug_Schepers

  • Use the Regrets macro to record the names of those members that sent advanced regrets. Examples:
    • Regrets: Art_Barstow
    • Regrets: Art_Barstow, Doug_Schepers
    • Regrets+ Doug_Schepers

  • Note the start of a new discussion Topic via the "Topic: Title of the topic ..." macro. Example:
    • Topic: Bug 12345: Event X's Y attribute is underspecified

  • Create new Actions via the "ACTION: last_name Title of the action ..." macro (see group participation list for a list of last_names). Example:
    • ACTION: barstow Start a CfC for ...

  • Record Resolutions via the "RESOLUTION: Description of the resolution ..." macro. Example:
    • RESOLUTION: Event X's Y attribute will be a DOMString

The general expectations regarding the scribing of the actual discussion are:

  • Scribe: try to capture the general flow of the discussion, citing the person that speaks and use "..." at the start of a line to capture the continuation of a person's input. The name assigned to a person can be their first name e.g. Art or their initials e.g. AB or their IRC nick e.g. ArtB. If you use initials and two or more participants have the same initials, create some type of unique id for each participant. Examples:
    • AB: One line captures my comment
    • Art: One line captures this comment
    • ArtB: the 1st thing I want to say is ...
    • ... 2nd thing is ...
    • ... 3rd thing is ...
  • All: use the "s/text that was recorded/text that should have been recorded/" macro (possibly with "g" appended to the end to signify the change should be made to the entire minutes) to update the meeting minutes. Examples:
    • s/change attribute to unsigned long/change attribute to long/
    • s/Bug 1234/Bug 1235/g
  • All: every person that attends the meeting is responsible for the accuracy of the minutes. This means that if the Scribe did not accurately capture an attendees' input, or missed an important input, the attendee is responsible for correcting the meeting record, preferably by making the correction directly in the ongoing meeting's IRC channel.

Generating and Announcing Minutes

The Chair or Team contact will ensure all of the relevant meeting bots are invited to the meeting before the meeting starts and they will send the Draft meeting minutes to the group's Public mail list.

To generate the minutes, the Scribe must issue the following command:

  • RRSAgent, make log Public
  • RRSAgent, make minutes

The minutes announcement sent to the mail list should include both the URL of the minutes as well as a copy-and-paste of the minutes. See example.

Face-to-Face Meetings

Although the group may have up to three face-to-face meetings per year, currently, no f2f meetings are scheduled.


All meeting minutes are Public unless, on an exceptional basis, there is consensus for the minutes to be Member confidential. Links to all of the meeting minutes are consolidated in the Minutes Wiki.

The general expectation is a meeting's Chair will send the minutes to the group's mail list within 24 hours of the end of the meeting.