The Combo Box control has a static text field label explicitly associated with the control. Optionally the label has a mnemonic to aide navigation.
- Tab moves focus to the drop-down button.
- Left arrow moves focus from the button into the text field.
- Enter posts the list.
When menu is posted, up arrow and down arrow keys move highlight and selection up or down within the list.
- Enter or spacebar closes the list, maintaining latest selection (highlighted item).
- Escape dismisses the list and reverts to the prior selection.
- RMB click in text area moves focus into text area and displays insertion cursor.
- RMB click on down-arrow button toggles post / unposting of the list.
- RMB on list item selects the item.
- RMB away from control also unposts list.
ARIA Roles and Properties
A combo box uses the ARIA roles:
- combobox for box itself
- textfield for the editable portion of the box
- listitem for the items displayed in the combo box when it is opened
Combo boxes use the ARIA properties disabled, readonly, and expanded.
- Editable Combo Box supported in Firefox