Web Payment Security Interest Group
The payments ecosystem is complex and
undergoing significant change due to
technology advances, the rise of mobile
computing, regulatory changes, faster
payments initiatives, and more. The
complexity and rapid changes increase the
challenge of securing end-to-end payments
and ensuring privacy protection.
The mission of the Web Payment Security
Interest Group is to enhance the security
and interoperability of Web payments. The
group pursues its mission by creating a
forum for organizations to define areas of
collaboration and identify gaps between
existing technical specifications in order
to increase compatibility among different
See the charter and April 2019 launch press release for more information about the scope, activities, and potential deliverables of this Interest Group.
The Interest Group is a discussion forum
for the Members of Partner Consortia. The
initial Partner Consortia
are W3C, EMVCo,
The following companies participate in the group (in addition to staff from EMVCo, FIDO, and W3C):
- American Express
- Brave Software
- Certus Cybersecurity Solutions
- Coil Technologies
- Discover Financial Services
- Merchant Advisory Group (MAG)
- Nok Nok Labs
- Ping Identity
- Thales Group
- The Clearing House
- Who Are You Holdings
Each Partner Consortium determines the eligibility requirements of its Membership. In particular:
- From W3C: W3C staff and W3C Member representatives.
- From EMVCo: EMVCo staff and employees of any EMVCo Member. This does not include Associates and Subscribers. However, EMVCo staff may also invite an Associate or Subscriber to participate, in which case that organization's employees become eligible to participate in this Interest Group on behalf of that organization.
- From FIDO: FIDO staff and employees of any FIDO Member.
All participants must follow the W3C Code of Ethics and
Professional Conduct and W3C's Antitrust
and Competition Guidance.
For questions about participation as a new Partner Consortium, contact Ian Jacobs <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Guidelines for Invited Experts
As described in the Web Payment Security Interest Group charter, an individual who is not an employee of a Partner Consortium or its Membership may be invited from time to time to share their expertise as a group participant. The Chairs will evaluate the need for expertise based on a variety of factors, including the group’s current agenda, whether current participants can represent that expertise, and the individual’s leadership roles in related groups or organizations.
- Bastien Latge, EMVCo <email@example.com>
- Christina Hulka, FIDO Alliance
- Ian Jacobs, W3C <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Communications of this Interest Group are
Members of each Partner Consortium.
Each Partner Consortium has its own mechanism for distributing and archiving communications of this Interest Group with its respective membership: