Specification of Requirements
From Ontology-Lexica Community Group
General Requirements on the Model
Four important meta-requirements can be already advanced:
- R1: The actual model will be an OWL ontology, while a specific lexicon instantiating the model will be a plain RDF document. (OA)
- R2: (“Multilinguality”): The model should support the specification of the linguistic grounding with respect to any language
- R3 (“Semantics by reference”): The meaning of lexical entries will be specified through a principle we call “semantics by reference” by which the semantics of a lexical entry with respect to a given ontology will essentially be specified by referencing the URI of the concept or property in question. (OA)
- R4: (“Openness”): the lexicon-ontology model will be “open” in two ways; first, it will also be extensible by new constructs as needed, e.g. by a certain application. Second, it will not make unnecessary choices with respect to which linguistic data categories to use, leaving open the possibilities to have very different instantiations of the lemon model . In this sense lemon can thus be called a lexicon-ontology meta-model.
- R5: (“Reuse of relevant standards”) We will aim to reuse as many standards as possible, in particular lexicon models such as LMF as well as terminology models such as TMF as well as linguistic data categories
- Express meaning with respect to ontology
- Specification of Requirements on Terminological Analysis
- Properties and Relations of Lexical Entries merged from "Relations between Lexical Entries" and "Lexical and linguistic properties of lexical entries"
- Valence and Ontological Mapping merged with "High-Order Predicate Mapping"
- Lexico-Syntactic Patterns
- Modelling lexical resources