- 1 M029 Activation events are not triggered when touch is removed from a control
M029 Activation events are not triggered when touch is removed from a control
Technique Status Category
- NEW TECHNIQUE WRITTEN BY Chris McMeeking
- Link to survey of 10 March 2016
- @@ Notes on work still needed before the technique is ready to publish, such as user agent support notes, etc.
This technique applies to any actionable user interface element which can manipulated by use of touch based assistive technologies.
This technique relates to:
- 2.5.3 - Single Taps and Long Presses Revocable
User Agent and Assistive Technology Support Notes
Some user agents may not support alternate touch gestures for activation.
The objective of this technique is to separate touch navigation from selection. Touch based assistive technologies require the user to touch the screen in order to navigate UI elements. There should be a distinct difference between gestures used for navigation and gestures used for activation.
- A cell phone dialer application where numbers are dialed when the user swipes onto a number and removes their finger.
For all actionable control elements:
- Touch within the bounds of the control and remove touch while remaining within those bounds.
- Ensure no actions consistent with activation of the control have occurred.
- If control activation occurs this would constitute a failure.