From W3C XForms Group Wiki (Public)
This is a placeholder for the <xforms:variable> feature.
Closely allied with AVT
- eXforms proposal: http://exforms.org/variable.html
- Orbeon implementation: http://wiki.orbeon.com/forms/doc/developer-guide/xforms-variables
- could also prefer the shorter <var> tag name, especially if we go with a @value attribute instead of a @select attribute
- You can define variables everywhere outside xf:model, as a child of model or as as child of an xforms action (even if it is in the model)
- A given variable is visible to any XPath expression on a following sibling element or on a following sibling element's descendant element.
- Model variables are also visible from XPath expression outside of models whenever that model is in scope.
- Binds automatically create variables with their id as name of the variable -> Sounds really handy, but not yet sure where the variables should be available