At the moment, we have six navigation items on the main webplatform.org page:
The first three are fine, but the last three need an update:
* Chat only provides information on the IRC room, and doesn't cover the other methods of communication we have available, such as the mailing list, Q&A, etc.
* Tutorials isn't needed, as the tutorials can be found under docs.
* More is just a duplicate link, pointing to the Docs homepage.
There have been a number of discussions on e-mail about how to improve this, see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webplatform/2012Dec/0146.html for the start of the thread.
The most sensible so far, in my mind at least, comes from a recent exchange between Chris Mills (me) and Julee Burdekin, which says that we should replace "Tutorials" and "More" with
* "Events", which could link to our events page (currently there's a rough version at http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Community/Community_Events), or perhaps we could title it "Community" and have it linking to a more expanded page that includes some blurb on what we do in the community, Doc Sprint in a box, and a list of upcoming events you can participate in. I would prefer the latter, as a better balanced, more complete page to link to, which would kill multiple birds with one stone.
* "Editors", which could link to the forthcoming editors guide (http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Editors_Guide). A place for editors old and new to access the info they need to get on with contributing to the site.
Chat, meanwhile, could be replaced with a more general link — "Discuss" — which would include info about all methods of communication/discussion we have available.
What do we think? Provided we agree, I will create separate actions for
* Finish community page and link main nav to it
* Finish editors guide and link main nav to it
* Update Chat to Discuss, and add updated text to that page.
Note: Updated text for the "Discuss page can be found at http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/TEST:discuss
After more discussion about this on the mailing list, we have decided to go with five menu items for now:
* Editing (since we really don't have links to "editors" there)
* Community Events (so as not to confuse with API events)
New location: http://project.webplatform.org/content/issues/14