We need to centralize all the information an editor needs to make good edits on the site into one area. Right now we have many pages spread about which have details on this and there is no true structure to them.
Basically the Editor's Guide will be the central repository of all information for editing. If it is not in here, then you ask and we improve the guide accordingly.
Target initial completion: 12-8-12
Rough outline is up on GitHub . Any thoughts?
Just want to give you a sense of how the getting started experience is currently for editors:
I think the biggest barriers to contributing (excluding session difficulties) are:
1. Too many pages instructing how to get started and edit.
2. Too many steps to successfully contribute.
So how about this? Add a section in between to your outline on github, that basically sets up a dashboard for the editor:
Set up your environment:
* Here's your critical style guides and reference pages.
* Here's your community: irc, maillist, forums.
* Here's your tasks: tasklists, bugbase, whatever.
The Editor's Guide is much improved now. Any further issues should be their own report (in the new tracker.)