Bug 18816 - change lang declaration for HTML5 spec
Summary: change lang declaration for HTML5 spec
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 10661
Alias: None
Product: HTML WG
Classification: Unclassified
Component: HTML5 spec (show other bugs)
Version: unspecified
Hardware: PC Windows NT
: P3 normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Edward O'Connor
QA Contact: HTML WG Bugzilla archive list
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
: 27799 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2012-09-09 23:31 UTC by steve faulkner
Modified: 2015-01-12 18:46 UTC (History)
9 users (show)

See Also:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description steve faulkner 2012-09-09 23:31:49 UTC
the html5 spec has a lang declaration
<html lang="en-US-x-Hixie">

I suggest that since the HTML5 spec is no longer edited by hixie it
probably appropriate to change the lang attribute of the spec to

<html lang="en-US">

or if you like

<html lang="en-US-x-hober-ginger-erika-travis">
Comment 1 Robin Berjon 2012-09-10 10:30:14 UTC
Since Hixie wrote most of it, I'm of the opinion that we should just keep it. But I'd rather not spend too much time on this :)

Or we could make it en-US-x-by-committee!
Comment 2 Cameron Jones 2012-09-10 11:40:07 UTC
<sigh>, can we not just leave personal marks out of official specifications? it's like a dog pissing on a lamppost (not meant in offense, only as a simile).

there is a place for acknowledgements, if this isn't currently sufficient then it should be refactored in some way to give more credit to certain individuals based on contribution. perhaps a chronological list of editors would be beneficial as an information source?
Comment 3 John Foliot 2012-09-10 15:45:29 UTC
(In reply to comment #2)
> <sigh>, can we not just leave personal marks out of official specifications?
> it's like a dog pissing on a lamppost (not meant in offense, only as a simile).
> 
> there is a place for acknowledgements, if this isn't currently sufficient then
> it should be refactored in some way to give more credit to certain individuals
> based on contribution. perhaps a chronological list of editors would be
> beneficial as an information source?

+1

Do we have any evidence to suggest that adding this homage to Mr. Hickson provides any tangible benefit? That any user agent will actually do anything with this?

I would like to see this reverted to: <html lang="en-US"> please.
Comment 4 Edward O'Connor 2012-09-10 16:54:26 UTC
EDITOR'S RESPONSE: This is an Editor's Response to your comment. If you are
satisfied with this response, please change the state of this bug to CLOSED. If
you have additional information and would like the Editor to reconsider, please
reopen this bug. If you would like to escalate the issue to the full HTML
Working Group, please add the TrackerRequest keyword to this bug, and suggest
title and text for the Tracker Issue; or you may create a Tracker Issue
yourself, if you are able to do so. For more details, see this document:

   http://dev.w3.org/html5/decision-policy/decision-policy.html

Status: Rejected
Change Description: No change.
Rationale: I concur with Robin.
Comment 5 steve faulkner 2012-09-10 18:05:22 UTC
(In reply to comment #4)
> EDITOR'S RESPONSE: This is an Editor's Response to your comment. If you are
> satisfied with this response, please change the state of this bug to CLOSED. If
> you have additional information and would like the Editor to reconsider, please
> reopen this bug. If you would like to escalate the issue to the full HTML
> Working Group, please add the TrackerRequest keyword to this bug, and suggest
> title and text for the Tracker Issue; or you may create a Tracker Issue
> yourself, if you are able to do so. For more details, see this document:
> 
>    http://dev.w3.org/html5/decision-policy/decision-policy.html
> 
> Status: Rejected
> Change Description: No change.
> Rationale: I concur with Robin.

while i disagree, as noted in my original email the WG, its a minor point and not one I wish to argue further on.
Comment 6 Cameron Jones 2012-09-10 18:30:46 UTC
(In reply to comment #5)
> while i disagree, as noted in my original email the WG, its a minor point and
> not one I wish to argue further on.

yes, i agree.

encase my initial comment was still misinterpreted, i like ian (and dogs) but i regard a public specification as not the place for personal tagging.
Comment 7 Edward O'Connor 2015-01-12 18:45:52 UTC
*** Bug 27799 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 8 Edward O'Connor 2015-01-12 18:46:39 UTC

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 10661 ***