APA Weekly Teleconference

06 Mar 2024


Dr_Keith, Fredrik, janina, Lionel, matatk, mike_beganyi, Nehaj, Nichole_, niklasegger, Roy
Alisa_Smith, Paul_Grenier
matatk, mike_beganyi

Meeting minutes

<Roy> w3c/strategy#438 (comment)

Agenda Review & Announcements


matatk: if you want to be included in the W3C social event at CSUN, please let either me or Kevin White know

March Time Adjustments!

janina: time zone change this weekend. This will be an hour earlier for people outside North America for the next 3 weeks. US goes to Daylight Savings before everyone else.

matatk: an hour earlier for people outside North America, just to clarify

mike_beganyi: Kevin reminded me that your W3C Calendar should show the new call time.

gb, off

<gb> matatk, issues and names were already off.

AT Driver https://w3c.github.io/at-driver/

matatk: we look at everything spec wise that comes out of W3C for a11y considerations. The other thing we do is charter reviews. When a WG gets created there's a process we follow which sets out the charter for said group.


matatk: this link is the review for the Browser Tools and Testing Group rechartering
… looks at browser tools and testing. Automation tools for browsers.
… developed on a similar protocol called AT Driver. This is designed for testing of assistive technologies

matatk: [reads description of AT Driver]
… I believe the main point is to automate the testing of assistive technologies. That's my understanding. We are discussing this because it was added to the charter for the above named group (Browser Tools and Testing Group)
… since it was added to the charter we are doing a review of it

Proposed charter: https://w3c.github.io/charter-drafts/2024/btt-wg.html

matatk: our question to the group is: What do we think about this?
… more about testing the assistive technology versus a web app

Lionel: This sounds like a good idea all around to me. If we could, I would like to get an AT user's perspective on whether they feel this is a good idea. I personally am very supportive

Nehaj: It's a good idea and I support it also.

matatk: do you know the due date, Roy?

Roy: There is a comment on the issue. It seems there's still some time to discuss.

Roy: I think we have time to review.

matatk: if any thoughts or concerns, please post on the list

matatk: will follow-up with our respective contacts in AT vendor organizations to pursue any connections there for reviewing purposes

<Fredrik> q/

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

Roy: no new charters apart from this one

HR A11y Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

Roy: no new comments but we still have some outstanding from the backlog

matatk: Janina and I have been going through the backlog and closing things as necessary. There are some that may be revisited.

matatk: going to suggest we look at a couple of these



matatk: function attached to HTML input element called showPicker and that causes the picker to appear programmatically
… this issue is about adding an analagous function to the select element.
… interesting because it raised a couple of questions about focus management. Should it get focus by default, for example.
… question of focussing just the picker and not the control.
… main question is that we need to ensure that however it's done is consistent with how it's been done on the input element
… all of the above are discussed in the above link to the issue tracker
… TAG perspective is that consistency is the top priority. TAG suggested APA weighs in on focussing and other issues.


matatk: inviting anyone who's interested to look at the thread and add to the discussion

mike_beganyi: Are we functioning from a point where <input> already has a pattern?
… or is there room for change on both sides?

matatk: this has already been added to the <input> element. In some way it seems that there is still room to make change because it is very recently added to the <input> element

matatk: still in the zone where if we make a good argument we might be able to make a change
… most important is consistency across both of them

matatk: can comment within the 178 issue I linked to above.

matatk: do we focus the control or the picker. Other question is should we focus by default or not.

janina: brief discussion of the implication of each option might be a way to determine best course of action

matatk: some discussion of the use cases within the various threads

matatk: [describes use case of a flight booking site and side-by-side pickers]

matatk: suggestions without a reason why are a bit concerning

Explicit Review Requests https://github.com/w3c/a11y-request/issues

MathML Core

<Roy> - issue: w3c/a11y-request#73

<Roy> - spec: https://www.w3.org/TR/mathml-core/

<Roy> - accessibility self-review: w3c/mathml-core#222

Roy: One from MATHML working group. Want to publish into CR.

Roy: They want a review by April.


matatk: we are keen as long as it's justified we are keen to add Accessibility Considerations sections. In this case, we don't have one.

matatk: what would we want to see in an a11y considerations section for a spec like this

matatk: may be thinking about user access, are they able to navigate around the structure of the formula, etc.

Dr_Keith: [asks for summary of situation with this spec]

matatk: [provides summary: what would we like to see in an a11y considerations section for a spec such as this]

Dr_Keith: I'll take a look at it Matthew. You can assign the task to me.

matatk: Thank you, Dr. Keith

Fredrik: won't be able to do this myself but I know someone who was intimately familiar with creating physics problems in Braille. Should I forward this to him?

matatk: would be great. No deadline on this for such an individual.

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Roy: One on TR but isn't prepared. Maybe next week we can review.

CSS Update (Paul) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

matatk: CFC is now expired. We will refine the a11y considerations editorially. Dr. Keith's suggestions were very good
… will make a PR for the Devices and Sensors WG as an APA comment in the repo
… thank you to Niklas for initial input and everyone who voted in the CFC

janina: Next week is virtual TPAC

Breakouts Day 2024


janina: Adapt has been working on symbol support and leveraging well known URL from ITF and other technology

janina: Matthew will do a presentation during virtual TPAC next Tuesday

Please come to the WAI-Adapt presentation (and others :-))

matatk: can subscribe to the events on the calendar and will be able to attend

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 221 (Fri Jul 21 14:01:30 2023 UTC).


Succeeded: s/be an hour earlier/be an hour earlier for people outside North America/

No scribenick or scribe found. Guessed: mike_beganyi

All speakers: Dr_Keith, Fredrik, janina, Lionel, matatk, mike_beganyi, Nehaj, Roy

Active on IRC: Dr_Keith, Fredrik, janina, Lionel, matatk, mike_beganyi, Nehaj, Nichole_, niklasegger, Roy