Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

05 February 2024


abbey, Becca_Monteleone, julierawe, kirkwood, Leandro, RAin, tburtin
David, Jennie, Rachael
Julieraw, lisa

Meeting minutes

<lisa_> agendaag / newd draft. see https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RUiKsY_WUaFJFvdR6ezFJ8Jx35JkHssy+ testing subgroup and

<lisa_> scribe list. please sign up https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Scribe_list

<lisa_> next item

<lisa_> take up item 2

<julierawe> Lisa: We need Rain for 1st agenda item

<Becca_Monteleone> I am having difficulty logging onto the zoom, and hope to join shortly!

<lisa_> take up item 6

<lisa_> priortisation call tomorow

priortisation call tomorow

lisa: have we done what you need from us

julie: crd sort may come first, and Im not sure if we need support for voting

close item 6

take up item 1

<julierawe> Rain is seeking early feedback before subgroup meeting on Thursday

<julierawe> Rain: This is not high-fidelity, it's simple "grey boxing" to give idea of what the layout will be

<julierawe> Rain: The publication details will be hidden with a dropdown so the first thing you see is introduction

<julierawe> Rain: Design and Build shows 5 main sections

<julierawe> Rain: "How to use this document" has accordions so you can expand each section

<julierawe> Rain: Gives you a step-by-step recommendation on how to use this document

<julierawe> Rain: "Design and Build" section is collapsed with short description of the 5 sections and they are also zippes

<julierawe> zippies

<julierawe> Rain: Can use "expand" option or click on the link

<julierawe> Rain: If click into a section, will get tags for roles typically responsible. Tapping on these would take you to info that is relevant for that role

<julierawe> Rain: Also includes at top of the section when these actions typically happen

<julierawe> Rain: Then patterns are presented in buckets (Informative, Logical, Safeguarded)

<julierawe> Rain: I've started going through what would be in a specific pattern, including visualized examples

<julierawe> Rain: Seeking early feedback now so we can address it when we meet on Thursday

<julierawe> Tiffany: Small request to give heads-up when moving the screen

<julierawe> Tiffany: How will this work for screenreaders?

<julierawe> Rain: It will be in HTML

<Zakim> lisa_, you wanted to ask if we have a signal doc on what you have followed and to add tags on media/modality and to comment on form look that isnt a form

<julierawe> Tiffany: Need to make sure labels are clear and tie together so no one gets lost

<julierawe> Lisa: We seem to have missed out on testing as an objective as well as general information

<julierawe> Lisa: Include findings from the work Shawn and Jennie did as a testing subgroup last year

<julierawe> Lisa: Include advice on user testing

<julierawe> Lisa: Sometimes there are 3 to 5 things you should test together

<julierawe> Lisa: The user testing might be better to have in a wiki format?

<julierawe> Lisa: Some people find it much easier to have a single document that they expand and print or that they expand and listen to

<julierawe> Lisa: People could get lost because you've done 5 clicks and you might have lost where it fits in the whole thing

<julierawe> Rain: There will be a lefthand column to help you see where you are — I haven't mocked that piece up yet

<julierawe> Rain: The side navigation will be always available

<julierawe> Lisa: We may want tags on the media modality, like some are specifically for speech

<julierawe> Lisa: Where the pattern screen is, it looks like a form, but that's probably a prototyping thing

julie: it looks amazing

zoom into patterns screen

will the buckets be diffrent per objective

<RAin> https://docs.google.com/document/d/13mqcr4pNlhg-9jQ8gDX1b3KFFUCCq2xHe5Sq1sPeDFY/edit

rain: the bucket is diffrent for each one

(each bucket had the patterns grouped in a phrase)

julie: loves the buckets. caughtion with these terms so that the phrases invite people in and they nknow what it is

<kirkwood> +1 to buckets meeting

<julierawe> Tiffany: I could help make the buckets more pronounced and easier to notice and understand

next item

<julierawe> Lisa: Can we move on to the next item? Fantastic job, Rain

<julierawe> Lisa: WCAG will come out later than our next version

close item 2

<julierawe> Lisa: Having a wiki might be the best way.

<julierawe> Lisa: We might need to publish as an editor's note

next item

<julierawe> Julie asked if other folks were getting an error when trying to open the doc Lisa shared

<julierawe> Becca said yes

<julierawe> Lisa: TPAC is when all the W3C gets together and there's an opportunity to give a presentation or have a breakoutsession

<julierawe> Lisa: TPAC is in September but they're also having breakout sessions in March

<julierawe> Lisa: These sessions will be at most 50 minutes

<julierawe> Lisa: Plenary is for raising awareness, at most 10 minutes

<julierawe> Lisa: People who have something they want all of W3C to be aware of

To propose a session: https://github.com/w3c/breakouts-day-2024/issues/new?assignees=&labels=session&projects=&template=session.yml For more information about W3C Breakouts Day 2024 (including who may propose a session, time slots, etc.), see: w3c/breakouts-day-2024

Calendar 29 February: Deadline for proposals 1 March: Draft schedule announced 8 March: Stable schedule announced 12 March: W3C Breakouts Day 2024

<julierawe> Lisa: The deadline for proposals is the end of this month

<julierawe> Lisa: This is something new, that they're doing midway through the year to do TPAC-ish things

<julierawe> Lisa: Breakouts are parallel sessions that some groups might be interested in

<tburtin> TPAC 2024 Will be held on 23-27 September 2024 in Anaheim, CA, USA & online. Source: https://www.w3.org/news-events/w3c-tpac/#upcoming-tpac-2024

<julierawe> Lisa: Internationalization might be good, Mental Health might be good

<julierawe> Lisa: Part of the agenda could be do we want to do breakout

<julierawe> Lisa: The problem is it's in a month, on the 12th of March. Do we have time?

<julierawe> Lisa: These can take a lot of work so know your goal

Sessions For this W3C Breakouts Day experiment we are soliciting two kinds of session proposals: Breakout (for deep dives, smaller group, at most 50 minutes). We plan to schedule breakout sessions in parallel (ideally, no more than 5 in parallel). Plenary (for raising awareness, large group, at most 10 minutes). We plan to schedule plenary sessions back to back within a single hour, with no other sessions in parallel. (If we receive many plenary pro[CUT]

<julierawe> Lisa: Internationalization might be perfect for plenary

<julierawe> Lisa: Rain, do you want to share new structure at a breakout?

<RAin> +1 but I need to see if it's possible for me to do that timing wise

<julierawe> Lisa: Internationalization could be recruiting opportunity

next item

<julierawe> Lisa: And if we can't do March, there's also September


drive for testing subgroups work: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RUiKsY_WUaFJFvdR6ezFJ8Jx35JkHssy

<julierawe> Becca: I have taken these two issues papers as far as I can take them. Need robust review.

<julierawe> Becca: We could build user stories around these three use cases: hospital, airport, grocery store

<julierawe> Lisa: Content Usable is where we have these use cases and scenarios. It doesn't have to go in this paper.

<julierawe> Lisa: We want to build out personas, but we don't have to do that in these issues papers. Can do in Making Content Usable

<julierawe> John K: Should we have aging as part of wayfinding? Does that go outside our range of thinking?

<julierawe> Lisa: I don't know if that's a separate paper

<julierawe> Becca: In the previous draft, we added a sentence that some people may experience temporary cognitive issues.

<julierawe> Becca: Maybe we add another sentence that this requires more evidence or guidance?

<kirkwood> issue of “Wandering in People/ Patients with Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia” may be a topic to have awareness of

<julierawe> Lisa: Being able to track where you are gives people freedom

<julierawe> Becca: Maybe it will be clearer next week what the additional sentence is

note on informed concent

<kirkwood> potentiallly; Wandering in People or Patients with Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia

<julierawe> Lisa: Supported decision making and consent. Issue paper might be the right place to do that.

<Zakim> lisa_, you wanted to say do we need a new patern or change to content useable

julie: can we do in door navigation as it is not online? do we need a comment on scope

<julierawe> Julie: Suggest adding a note at the top of the paper that this issue paper is not about digital accessibility.

john: +1 more real world, and it makes a missunderstanding

<julierawe> Julie: That this is about wayfinding in physical spaces, not digital wayfinding

lets and a sentence on scope so people dont get confuced

<julierawe> John K: Two different kinds of topics. Let's make sure we don't create confusion.

<julierawe> Becca: Could we say this document is about technology-assisted navigation through indoor spaces?

<julierawe> John K: Geolocation is a potential word to use

<julierawe> Lisa: It's very similar to online wayfinding

<julierawe> John K: Geolocation and directions from place to place

<julierawe> Julie: Suggest adding "technology-assisted" to the title

<julierawe> John K: Or should it be split? This is about navigation in the physical world.

<julierawe> Becca: My focus is on navigating in physical space using technology.

<julierawe> Lisa: Do we have one on digital wayfinding?

<julierawe> John K: I seem to remember we did?

<julierawe> Lisa: I thought we'd combined them?

<julierawe> Becca: The Github/original version was just focused on indoor navigation.

<julierawe> Lisa: I'll doublecheck if we have separate paper on digital wayfinding

<julierawe> Lisa: Next steps. I think we're ready to move this into Github as an issue paper.

<julierawe> Lisa: The next step after that is seeing what we want to add to the next version of Making Content Usable

<julierawe> Lisa: What could we change? What should we change?

<julierawe> Lisa: Becca, because this is all in your head right now, can you look at Making Content Usable?


<julierawe> Lisa: The patterns are going to port and we're going to rework them a bit.

<julierawe> Lisa: Can we look at whether one of the personas have that already and we just need to do a tweak?

<julierawe> Becca: Yes

next item

<julierawe> Leandro: It's my first meeting with COGA. I started in December with Adapt.

<julierawe> Leandro: I met Rain a year and a half ago.

<julierawe> Leandro: I'm working on my PhD on people with intellectual disabilities.

<julierawe> Lisa: Tomorrow I'm having an orientation call with a new member on my personal zoom.

next item

<julierawe> Lisa: We've got 5 minutes left. Should we add conversational interfaces to a future meeting?

<julierawe> Becca: Yes. I will not be here next week.

<julierawe> Lisa: The week after is Presidents Day so maybe March 4?

<Becca_Monteleone> March 4 for conversational interfaces issue paper works!

<julierawe> Lisa: Lots of us are doing literary reviews. I was going to do a follow-on call so we could review together

<julierawe> Lisa: But now there are AG calls that conflict, so I'll send a spreadsheet asking for a good time to do this follow-on call

<julierawe> Lisa: I'll do that in the next few days

<julierawe> Lisa: Is there anything else people want to touch on?

<julierawe> Leandro: Nice to meet you all

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 221 (Fri Jul 21 14:01:30 2023 UTC).


Maybe present: john, julie, lisa

All speakers: john, julie, lisa, rain

Active on IRC: abbey, Becca_Monteleone, julierawe, kirkwood, Leandro, lisa_, RAin, tburtin