APA Weekly Teleconference

25 Oct 2023


Abhinav, Fredrik, IrfanAli, janina, Lionel_Wolberger, Nichole, PaulG, Roy
janina, Lionel_Wolberger, PaulG

Meeting minutes

<PaulG> I'm coming from another meeting, will join call soon

Agenda Review & Announcements

Heads Up: Clock Changes

janina: Note that Europe, UK and some others return to standard time; while others spring forward (AUS)
… be aware, the APA meeting may fall one hour earlier for a week

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

A11y Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

Roy: No comments

Explicit Review Requests https://github.com/w3c/a11y-request/issues

W3C Securing Verifiable Credentials using JOSE and COSE

<Roy> - issue: w3c/a11y-request#68

<Roy> - spec: https://www.w3.org/TR/vc-jose-cose/

<gb> Issue 68 W3C Securing Verifiable Credentials using JOSE and COSE 2021-09-18 (by awoie) [SR] [REVIEW REQUESTED] [pending]

<PaulG> Lionel_Wolberger: this is a standard accessibility considerations section

<PaulG> ...I'm going to read this

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<PaulG> Roy: no new on TR

PaulG: One interesting discussion to track going forward ...

<PaulG> w3c/csswg-drafts#9474

<gb> Issue 9474 [css-contain-2] API to expose skipped content state (by nt1m) [css-contain-2]

PaulG: A mechanism to skip rendering when skip invoked

PaulG: may skip rendering but still be in ax tree, worth staying on top of

PaulG: At least until we can rely on AOM

janina: Do I understand was content between skip link and target not rendered?

PaulG: An API to indicate whether elements are, or not rendered

PaulG: ARIA Describedby could be display=none but still be in ax

CSS Update (Paul) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

janina: media and apa had a meeting about timed text
… BBC, media interest group, and broadcast talked about their 2025 regulatory requirements
… RQTF will need more info to respond
… but now is not the time to add more feature requests so we'll need help updating the MAUR
… we have a report and minutes of the meeting

Minutes from telecon here:


Followup is due Thursday late Boston time:


janina: i'll continue ot work on this but if you have comment please contribute

Accessibility considerations regarding VCs and DIDs

Lionel: We are asked to review accessibility considerations on https://www.w3.org/TR/vc-jose-cose/
… this is a low level specification regarding JOSE and COSE
… the current accessibility considerations section indicates that this spec should inherit the accessibility considerations already recorded in https://www.w3.org/TR/vc-data-model/
… this general consideration does not refer in any detail to the following concerns:
… 1 Complexity of Presentation: JOSE and COSE's primary focus is security, not user-friendliness or interpretability. When raw JOSE or COSE data is presented, it might not be readily understandable or accessible for users. Assistive technologies might find it challenging to provide meaningful translations or descriptions of encrypted or signed payloads.
… 2 the time to verify signatures may not meet accessbility guidelines, either too fast or too slow

janina: Timeouts need to be elastic, which may need to take into account navigation in a screen and not just requesting a validation

Lionel_Wolberger: 3 While binary formats like CBOR might be more efficient in some contexts, they can be less transparent and harder to work with for assistive tools compared to text-based formats, potentially hindering accessibility.
… 4 Error Messaging challenge. Good error messages are hard to write.
… we are very concerned that these technologies, when immature, will have error messages that will be difficult to understand
… we want error messages that are understandable by people with low technology skills
… 5 We will want good explainers
… Given the technical nature of JOSE and COSE, documentation might assume a high level of prior knowledge.
… but these credentials will be critical for communities without that knowledge
… Managers will also benefit from such explainers

janina: Where would we add these considerations?

Lionel_Wolberger: Can we add accessibility considerations to the parent spec, https://www.w3.org/TR/vc-data-model/

Roy: It is not too late to add non-normative text like this

janina: I suggest that we curate this information, and contact the group and share that we wish to update the accessibility considerations in the parent spec
… with a pointer to these minutes

Task Force & Deliverables Updates

EO Charter

Fredrik: It's OK

Fredrik: Would like to see more specifics

Fredrik: the EO charter implies it should be in harmony with artifacts produced. I'd like to see language that they promote accessibility guidelines and best practice

janina: we want to see more best practices referenced

Fredrik: agreed

janina: to give the public better guidance about the information coming out of W3C WAI

<Roy> w3c/strategy#428

<gb> Issue 428 [wg/eowg] ON-HOLD - Accessibility EOWG re-charter (by shawna-slh) [Horizontal review requested] [Internationalization review completed] [Privacy review completed] [charter]

janina: I'll update the issue

<Roy> Put the comments in issue: w3c/strategy#428

ACTION: janina to leave comments on EO Chater at w3c/strategy#428

<gb> Created action #337

https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/apg/patterns/ are patterns that are "aspirational" or "idealized" but have not been fully tested with AT/browser combinations. Something like a11ysupport.io shows that support for the patterns suggested aren't widespread yet.

Summary of action items

  1. janina to leave comments on EO Chater at w3c/strategy#428
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 221 (Fri Jul 21 14:01:30 2023 UTC).


Succeeded: s/described/display/

No scribenick or scribe found. Guessed: Lionel_Wolberger

Maybe present: Lionel

All speakers: Fredrik, janina, Lionel, Lionel_Wolberger, PaulG, Roy

Active on IRC: Abhinav, Fredrik, IrfanAli, janina, Lionel_Wolberger, Nichole, PaulG, Roy