APA Weekly Teleconference

10 May 2023


Alisa_Smith, Fredrik, janina, Lionel_Wolberger, matatk, mike_beganyi, niklasegger, Roy
Gottfried, Gottfried_Zimmerman, Paul
Fredrik, Lionel_Wolberger, matatk

Meeting minutes

<janina> Date 10 May 2023

Agenda Review & Announcements

janina: Mostly same agenda as usual. Important second item coming up!

janina: Any announcements/agenda?

Announcing New Zoom Starting Next Week

janina: We're moving away from MIT's Zoom to W3C's. This is happening!
… We can have live machine transcription and we can have translation into other languages!
… This sort of thing is covered in RTC Accessibility User Requirements, e.g. pinning the ASL feed. I think they're identifying the signer, and hopefully you can pin them.
… Two things are changing, and two things are not: the link that's published in all agenda announcements (goes to w3.org/...) is _not_ changing.
… The password will remain the same.
… What is changing? The meeting ID, and the meeting-joining link URI that is within the W3C page.
… Questions/comments?

TPAC 2023 Planning

Draft page: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2023

janina: We filed for a whole series of joint meetings, put a lot of time into thinking about the sequence of them, too. This is because the priorities/goals that come out of some meetings will affect the meetings with others.
… We included everything that you (TFs) asked for. Not as long a list as last time, which was our first time IRL for 3 years. However it's still a big list.
… We should also have plenty of time to just be APA, and do our own internal work.

scribe> Fredrik

matatk: Looking very good line-up-wise. Keep an eye on the wiki page, there will be lots going on there shortly.

janina: We're looking to the future, and we are excited to plan what we can pull together and work on next! Comments/questions?

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

Media Interest Group

<janina> https://w3c.github.io/media-and-entertainment/charters/charter-2023.html

janina: I have a draft PR for this, regarding the topics area. They list a whole series of topics; including accessibility - very good. However, let's get some examples in for accessibility.
… E.g. interlinear streams; multiple languages of captions; synchronization of multiple captions/*SLs; rich markup (symbols?) for chapter titles; etc.

Lionel_Wolberger: Media predictability

janina: Just to note, this is an interest group (IG) which is not a group that produces standards (but might produce notes), it's a group for coordinating cross-industry.

Lionel: The ability to inform the user before clicking a link, what the media consists of, if it has multiple BW encodings, captions, ASL, etc

janina: (a bit like WAI).

janina: We may also like to update the MAUR (2015).

janina: +1 to exposure of metadata about the media behind the link, as Lionel_Wolberger mentions.

Lionel_Wolberger: Metadata regarding the video, before invoking the link, your user agent can assess if this media has or does not have what you need

janina: e.g. YouTube adds a semaphore to a video to indicate the standard/level of captioning that has been done (automated/ASL/human-corrected).
… Would we all agree to making a PR to give them a list of examples, but otherwise be happy with the charter?


<janina> +1

<Roy> +1

<Alisa_Smith> +1

<mike_beganyi> +1


<niklasegger> +1

janina: I'll work on the PR.

Web of Things Working Group rechartering

<matatk> Latest update: w3c/strategy#375 (comment)

matatk: Quick note: I already did the same thing as what Janina was suggesting with the WOT charter.

matatk: They have a charter that we are happy with in general. When they offered to include the accessible onboarding (bringing a thing onto your network: thermostat, smart bulb, printer etc.). They offered accessible onboarding, there's a consideration of the WG and we looked at it, ahd a conversation about it.

matatk: It seems that these changes will be in the charter, but they haven't been merged yet.

matatk: I've said we're happy with the charter as is because they have included accessibility. The onboarding process is going to be merged, but we haven't heard about it being merged yet.

Explicit Review Requests https://github.com/w3c/a11y-request/issues

<matatk> Roy: No new ones

A11y Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

WCAG 2.2 1.4.6 Contrast (Enhanced) failure in WCAG 2.2 draft

<Roy> - issue: w3c/wcag#3105

<matatk> Roy: This looks like an issue with the presentation of the document, for AGWG to resolve.

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<Roy> Verifiable Credentials Status List v2021

<Roy> - tracker: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Verifiable_Credentials_Status_List_v2021

<Roy> - Spec: https://www.w3.org/TR/vc-status-list/

<Roy> https://www.w3.org/TR/vc-status-list/#accessibility-considerations

ACTION: Lionel_Wolberger: Review Verifiable Credentials Status List v2021

<ghurlbot> Cannot create action. Validation failed. Maybe Lionel_Wolberger is not a valid user for w3c/apa?

<matatk> Lionel_Wolberger: I will review. Note that much of this may be low level, but will check the considerations section.

<Roy> ghurlbot, Lionel_Wolberger = lwolberg

ACTION: Lionel_Wolberger: Review Verifiable Credentials Status List v2021

<ghurlbot> Cannot create action. Validation failed. Maybe lwolberg is not a valid user for w3c/apa?

<matatk> matatk: Not 100% sure if ACs section needed, though they have an apparent general VC-related section, which is great to see. There's a note to say that it needs to be written.

<matatk> janina: This is reflective of the good relationship we have with VC; good on them for having a stock Accessibility Considerations section.

CSS Update (Paul) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

<matatk> PaulG: [via email] nothing to report.

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

Stock Accessibility Considerations section

<matatk> matatk: I am working on this!

Compute Pressure API ACs

<matatk> w3c/a11y-request#53 (comment)

<matatk> matatk: The latest in the conversation (per previous discussion). I need to write a proposed section, for us to review. Fredrik or Paul may have input as to anything I missed.

<matatk> janina: One example: resource tracking in Linux/GUI. By the time resource pressure is a problem, it can be hard to access a report; having one present and accessilbe can help avoid that.

Task Force & Deliverables Updates

<matatk> janina: We have a lot of great work going on across the TFs!

<matatk> janina: We're expecting Maturity Model's initial work to be complete about this time next year.

<matatk> Fredrik: FAST TF update: Working on completing the Work Statement - https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Fast-work-statement - your input would be much appreciated.

<matatk> Fredrik: It's generally done.

<matatk> janina: Let's all review the Work Statement this week - comments on the APA list or otherwise.

Other Business

be done

Summary of action items

  1. Lionel_Wolberger: Review Verifiable Credentials Status List v2021
  2. Lionel_Wolberger: Review Verifiable Credentials Status List v2021
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 210 (Wed Jan 11 19:21:32 2023 UTC).


Succeeded: s/... (a bit like WAI)./janina: (a bit like WAI)./

Succeeded: s/no news/nothing to report/

Maybe present: Lionel

All speakers: janina, Lionel, Lionel_Wolberger, matatk

Active on IRC: Alisa_Smith, Fredrik, janina, Lionel_Wolberger, matatk, mike_beganyi, niklasegger, Roy