Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

06 Mar 2023


Jennie, EA, JustineP, julierawe, Jan, kirkwood, JohnRochford, Rachael, Becca_Monteleone, kb, abbey
Lisa, Shawn, David, Rain


<Jan_> meeting: COGA


scribe+ EA

Jan is chairing

Updates with task requests and actions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15HtPkkYx1CIl6bAwP2nsSZKhqTVbqcuMDRz5RmtmvXg/edit

Mental Health update meeting this Thursday and Jan will be helping - looking at issue papers and research - reviewing updates in the meeting

Julie Clear Language meeting again today 1pm Eastern. Aiming to work on the W3C writing templates to create new content.

The rest of the subgroups do not have chairs attending so cannot update

<kimsarabia> Hello everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kim Sarabia and I joined COGA last week. I recently joined Wikimedia Foundation as a Software Engineer with the Web Team. This is my first meeting.

<Zakim> jeanne, you wanted to say that this description looks really good.

Subgroups: https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Subgroups

Task request for actions

<Jan_> https://docs.google.com/document/d/15HtPkkYx1CIl6bAwP2nsSZKhqTVbqcuMDRz5RmtmvXg/edit

Agenda item 1 - actions items review

There is a need to check on the document for those actions not linked to subgroups

Aaron was going to go to more meetings before more updates

Albert will meet Julie and work with FAQs for new members.

Jan said that this may be something to look into with Lisa as a task still to be finished.

Julie mentioned that there are several new people on the list and perhaps could help with ideas to make the work more streamlined.

<julierawe> I remember feeling overwhelmed!

Feelings of being overwhelmed need to be addressed - so much information and Katie suggested just need time to get used to it all.

Jan mentioned the wiki with all the links to other parts of the website.

<Becca_Monteleone> +1 to one-pager

Julie suggested that a one page high level overview might help to get ones bearings.

<kimsarabia> Maybe an onboarding buddy if folks have capacity?

Best practices - helpful preview before all the detail is provided.

Becca said that when the orientation she did not realise how important some of the detail were and it would have helped to have a one page to go back to now she was 6 months into the membership

Jan asked if Jan makes a one page - set up call with Lisa for new members - Becca and Julie to review

There are some outstanding actions in the document but most people are not on the call.

John Kirkwood - recruiting for research - October 2022 - can be removed. Guardianship actions went to Michael and not sure where it has landed. Jennie may know the situation.

John K will also help Jan find out what is the latest about Guardianship

TPAC actions taken off the list as already completed.

Julie mentioned that the Clear language examples are on the wiki - now working on WCAG 3 template to create Clear Language guidelines

Julie mentioned that EO feedback had been given on cognitive impairment and some has not be incorporated - Julie will follow up with EO on written feedback

EO updates for text needs to be checked as not finished

Justin and Kiki not on the call - surveys, scripts and tools and techniques. Jan felt that some of the actions were old from Sept

Rachael on hold with mental health - will check this

Rachael will also check about the guardianship issues

<Becca_Monteleone> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B1vCqlU1IF5UmqxhJAy8Khdi-kRQNPalVX8f3lCMr7w/edit?usp=sharing

Becca working on some of the outstanding issue papers - conversational systems - Amazon Alexa etc - should this be supplementary to the other issue paper.

If an issue paper has the same name then it probably needs to be replaced

John Kirkwood offered help with the paper as he worked on the original one.

WCAG New Conformance Model: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AsaXFpD2LdZ_hfWZgIkFO8aYmWS311EekRw-F1r34KE/edit#heading=h.nx2v3r6axsdz

Rachael is sharing her screen with link in IRC - current version of the editor's draft - Describes how WCAG may work - editor's notes are there that can have comments added

Now discussing outcomes and assertions - former are testable and latter are a new concept and more about stating points

Jan felt that now is a moment to get an overview of what is wanted from the members of WCAG.

Timeline for updating this is going to be discussed at TPAC next week. Rachael will be providing a new document after the event or you can comment now.

TPAC is the hybrid meeting at CSUN to discuss the WCAG New Conformance Model

<Rachael> Hybrid meeting: https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/CSUN-Face-To-Face/

Please can everyone go through the document now before TPAC as then it will be further modified

Rachael mentioned that the test types may be important to concentrate on - Section 4.1.2 has changes.

Assertions section 5 is completely new and needs addressing from a coga point of view.

Julie wondered if Rachael could walk through the conformance levels. Pass/Fail etc

Rachael mentioned that the additional information will be sent out but are dense so the PowerPoint may be useful

The Levels for conformance are important and the Bronze level has to be universally required but possibly there will on by outcomes in Bronze

Lisa asked that assertions are added into Bronze - but there is something think about the level of impact that really happens and what we really need.

Silver is the next level with 50% needing to be passed - in the scoring sections there are outcomes are going to pass or fail some will be best practices - but also options.

conformance has two paths at present - an outcome like colour contrast - it would be pass or fail but there might be a best practice that colour contrast is 7:1 or second option it would be exemplary

The issues are whether the changes should be agreed - keeping everything in one bucket or separate items out and look at individual elements of the criteria.

Bronze in WCAG 3 will have more than WCAG 2 - so passing will have additional items

Bronze is all required, Silver has lots of best practices 50% and then for Gold it would need 75%

Percentages at the moment are placeholders - need to check whether people will be allowed to make choices as to which percentage items they will do.

+1 to what John has said about the order of the pass/fail exemplary ... needs to change to fail - pass - exemplary.

<Jan_> +1 to John's comment on the order of fail/pass/exemplary

<julierawe> +1 to John's comment

Jan thanked Rachael for her explanations.

<julierawe> Thank you, Jan!!!

Thank you Jan

<kb> Thank you!

<julierawe> And welcome, new folks!

Sorry I have to leave

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.200 (CVS log)
$Date: 2023/03/06 17:04:25 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision VERSION of 2020-12-31
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: Jennie, EA, JustineP, julierawe, Jan, kirkwood, JohnRochford, Rachael, Becca_Monteleone, kb, abbey
Present: Jennie, EA, JustineP, julierawe, Jan, kirkwood, JohnRochford, Rachael, Becca_Monteleone, kb, abbey
Regrets: Lisa, Shawn, David, Rain
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: EA
Inferring Scribes: EA
WARNING: Could not parse date.  Unknown month name "03": 06 03 2023
Format should be like "Date: 31 Jan 2004"

WARNING: No date found!  Assuming today.  (Hint: Specify
the W3C IRC log URL, and the date will be determined from that.)
Or specify the date like this:
<dbooth> Date: 12 Sep 2002

People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]