APA Weekly Teleconference

01 Mar 2023


Fazio, Fredrik, Gottfried, janina, Lionel_Wolberger, matatk, mike_beganyi, niklasegger, PaulG, present, Roy
Alisa_Smith, Fredrik_Fischer
matatk, PaulG

Meeting minutes

Agenda Review & Announcements

janina: there are 2 key announcements which have their own agenda items
… any additional announcements?

Coming Clock Changes https://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/2023a.html

janina: through March, 11-12 times change in America and calls will be an hour earlier until times change in Europe

Agenda Review & Announcements

APA Charter CfC Reminder https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2023Feb/0025.html

janina: reminder to CfC for our charter draft is open until midnight tonight

Proposed WoT Comments & Matter/Thread https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2023Jan/0000.html

janina: there's a new spec affecting WoT to certify devices that would solve some of our issues

Gottfried: I'm not sure how much we can do about Matter. It's going to be the standard. Thread is the low-level standard for transmission.
… WoT is sort of a competitor to Matter

janina: it's from a separate organization but it might be helpful to the problems we've identified we call "middleware"
… aggregation technology should be helped by it

Gottfried: I haven't looked into Matter in depth, the issues remain the same but the technology has advanced and industry seems ready to collaborate
… I think the Matter standards is just a roof on the other standards
… to allow better interop
… do we plan to talk to Matter experts or WoT developers?

janina: I think we should take our concerns to WoT as the experts we've worked with before
… we can ask them to clarify or to have a joint meeting on our concerns

Gottfried: I still see this as a competitor standard
… I don't think there's space for two

Gottfried: I support talking to WoT as they probably have a better idea of how they stand compared to Matter

Gottfried: I'm thinking about how you find devices in public spaces which is mostly neglected by developers
… which affects accessibility

janina: I'll take an action to send a note to them

niklasegger: I agree that Matter could be the "winner" here after doing some research. Security is a big reason for it.

Gottfried: it could get extended to work in public spaces

Lionel_Wolberger: I would add that Meta has an unsolved problem to present the data of the environment around us
… WoT will mean actual physical interaction in space not just "I see WiFi near me"

CSS Update (Paul) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues


PaulG: This is how outline style differs across browsers due to a fuzzy part of the spec. This can affect the focus ring.
… The group resolved to change the spec: w3c/csswg-drafts#7761 (comment)
… This doesn't conflict with anything in WCAG. They've done research to ensure it won't break accessibility. Should be more consistent across UAs as a result.
… There will be more debate on this as UAs implement it, but the change is due to happen.

Agenda Review & Announcements

APA Charter CfC Reminder https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2023Feb/0025.html

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

Media Working Group Rechartering

<Roy> - charter: https://w3c.github.io/charter-media-wg/

Roy: The charter mentions accessibility and APA.

matatk: I like this part "Each specification should contain a section on accessibility that describes..." :-)

janina: We've had a long and good relationship with this group, going back to HTML5 developent.

Roy: They noted the FAST, too.

janina: I have no concerns; others?

<Lionel_Wolberger> +1 great that the FAST is explicitly listed

Explicit Review Requests https://github.com/w3c/a11y-request/issues

Digital Publishing WAI-ARIA Module 1.1 and Digital Publishing Accessibility API Mappings 1.1

<Roy> - issue: w3c/a11y-request#55

<Roy> - URL of spec:

<Roy> - https://www.w3.org/TR/2023/WD-dpub-aria-1.1-20230222/

<Roy> - https://www.w3.org/TR/2023/WD-dpub-aam-1.1-20230223/

Roy: They want to publish these as CR next month.

janina: We are generally OK with these, as we know ARIA knows their stuff, unless anyone wants to dive into these?
… This is about mapping ARIA semantics into DPUB, and the AAM is about how those mappigns are instantiated across different platforms.

matatk: I'm looking out of interest (relating to the Landmarks extension).

<Lionel_Wolberger> The landmark extension is available at https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/landmark-navigation-via-k/ddpokpbjopmeeiiolheejjpkonlkklgp

PNG 3rd edition

<Roy> - TR: https://www.w3.org/TR/2022/WD-png-3-20221025/

<Roy> - tracking: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics_(PNG)_Specification_(Third_Edition)

matatk: Re Landmarks, you can get it for multiple browsers, too: https://matatk.agrip.org.uk/landmarks/ - On Firefox (and Opera) it has a sidebar.

<Roy> w3c/a11y-request#42

matatk: Wanted to confirm there was a way to do textual metadata (remember our SVG Native review); according to their FAST report, there is: w3c/PNG-spec#228 (comment)

janina: Sounds like we're good with this one.

Roy: Will close

A11y Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

Roy: Nothing new this week, and nothing on TR this week.

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

matatk: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2023Feb/0035.html

matatk: Fredrik's review of EditContext API - https://www.w3.org/TR/edit-context/

matatk: Sounds overall very good from Fredrik's review, but it lacks an accessibility considerations section.
… We should ask for one if there's no obvious parent spec?

janina: Fredrik's already written a proposed section; we could just ask them to include that.

matatk: +1

janina: I'm inclined to ask Fredrik to ask the editors of that document to include his proposed section, noting that we're finding it increasingly useful to have these appendices.

janina: Any objections?

Roy: I think we can file an issue in their GitHub repo. This is a FPWD FYI.

janina: +1; thanks Roy

Task Force & Deliverables Updates

Maturity Model

janina: Several new members! They're working through issues. Not sure if there's yet a sense of when a new milestone WD will be published, maybe soon.


janina: Activity is ongoing to engage with ARIA regarding their latest proposal, and then with AT vendors regarding the group's proposed course of action.

Other Business

Roy: Will we have a WG meeting during CSUN week?

janina: TFs can decide for themselves. Is anyone aware of a reason for APA to _not_ meet?

<Roy> "Secure the Web Forward" Worskhop

janina: We'll meet during CSUN week.

Roy: Does anyone have any interest/thoughts on this workshop?


matatk: Looks quite low-level.

janina: Might it relate to CAPTCHA?

matatk: Not sure yet; seems not; but we can follow it.

be done

janina: Thanks all, and to our scribes.

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 210 (Wed Jan 11 19:21:32 2023 UTC).


All speakers: Gottfried, janina, Lionel_Wolberger, matatk, niklasegger, PaulG, Roy

Active on IRC: Gottfried, janina, Lionel_Wolberger, matatk, mike_beganyi, niklasegger, PaulG, Roy