Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

28 September 2022


becky, Fredrik, IrfanAli, janina, Joshue108_, Lionel_Wolberger, matatk, MichaelC, mike_beganyi, niklasegger, PaulG, ToddL
Alisa, Gottfried
Fredrik, Lionel_Wolberger, matatk

Meeting minutes

matatk: Good to be back after TPAC. Lots to share.

Agenda Review & Announcements

matatk: Next wednesday is a holiday for some, Yom Kippur.

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

JSON-LD Working Group Charter

<Roy> https://w3c.github.io/charter-drafts/2022/json-ld-2022.html

Roy: JSON-LD Working Group Charter

Roy: seems to be a low level specification

janina: Do we wish to ask anything of the JSON-LD data structure regarding pronunciation?

PaulG: There was research that we did a while ago.

Lionel_Wolberger: JSON, like JSON-LD is a low level spec as discussed: JSON-LD adds to JSON the ability to reference particular semantics for each label.

Lionel_Wolberger: It sounds like APA has an interest in using JSON-LD, and no needed accessibility additions to the charter

GPU for the Web Working Group Charter

<Roy> https://gpuweb.github.io/admin/wg-charter.html

Roy: Seems to be a low level specification, no APA concerns regarding the charter

matatk: Agree, it is low level

+1 to letting this one go

A11y Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

WebXR Gamepads Module Level 1

<MichaelC> - tracking: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/WebXR_Gamepads_Module_-_Level_1

<MichaelC> - request: https://github.com/w3c/a11y-request/issues/30

<MichaelC> - ping: https://github.com/w3c/a11y-request/issues/30#issuecomment-1194168413

<MichaelC> we're holding up their transition request https://github.com/w3c/transitions/issues/449

matatk: Wondering about button remapping support for this low level API

Lionel_Wolberger: What about holding down a button, for the repeat rate?

matatk: Agree, that's an issue but it is likely handled by the game layer, not in this low layer

janina: Some controllers control Audio/Video output as well

matatk: And haptics sometimes need to be disabled
… though I think this, too, is in the Game Application layer above the controller

Web Neural Network API

<MichaelC> - tracking: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Web_Neural_Network_API

<MichaelC> - request: https://github.com/w3c/a11y-request/issues/26

<MichaelC> appears ready to close

Lionel_Wolberger: Jason's comment does seem to ask for action
… he wrote, "Given the range of moral and policy issues raised by the technology, a general reference to the companion document which addresses these matters in detail is, in my view, welcome and appropriate."

MichaelC: We have marked the issue as closed.

janina: They did it, they linked to the companion document. Done.

VISS 2 Core and Transport documents

<MichaelC> - request: https://github.com/w3c/a11y-request/issues/38

<MichaelC> - tracking: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/VISS_version_2_-_Core

<MichaelC> - spec: https://www.w3.org/TR/viss2-core/

<MichaelC> Raja to review

janina: Seems we do not have sufficient cycles to complete it

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Open Screen Protocol

<MichaelC> - spec: https://www.w3.org/TR/openscreenprotocol/

<MichaelC> - tracking: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Open_Screen_Protocol

<MichaelC> interoperable way to cast to another device, probably too low level for us

MichaelC: Low level?

janina: I would like to see the ability to cast just the audio, or just the video
… If I have no video renderer in my environment, I would like to cast just the audiot

matatk: It is possible that the AOM (Accessibility Object Model) could help here, if the language is a high-enough level to read the AOM

Trusted types

<MichaelC> - spec: https://www.w3.org/TR/trusted-types/

<MichaelC> - tracking: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Trusted_Types

<MichaelC> API security, probably too low level for us

matatk: the AOM could stipulate what sharing could occur

matatk: It brings to mind the note we gave to SVG, where we wanted to prevent to locking of features that a person with disabilities may need to retain access and control

janina: We have time to respond

A Well-Known URL for Changing Passwords

<MichaelC> - spec: https://www.w3.org/TR/change-password-url/

<MichaelC> - tracking: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/A_Well-Known_URL_for_Changing_Passwords

<MichaelC> allows password change via URI; probably too low level; may benefit accessibility

matatk: Does Adapt have interest in this?

Lionel_Wolberger: Keep in mind, it is a server-side feature, like SOAP, announcing the services that are available

janina: Send to Adapt

Dangling Spec Review Cleanup: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Category:Spec_Review_Assigned

TPAC 2022 summary

<matatk> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2022

matatk: A lot to share! Most of it will come via the APA Task Forces.
… A lot of great learning and education for APA and other groups interacting with us
… Adapt did have a bit of a setback with TAG, but at the same time a clear signal for broad support
… Adapt draft will be restructured, and symbols will move first to CR
… An exciting meeting with WHATWG about Adapt and spoken p18n
… a welcome reception to getting an adapt- prefix
… and SSML support
… (synthetic speech markup)
… great to get this show of support, as Adapt is new to them
… Web Performance Group told us a great deal about page load performance, which can be an accessibility issue
… Google informed us about what they are doing regarding page load
… a theme: file issues. Issues are the method to get into conversation with groups.
… Publishing Community Group and ePub3 working group
… they were interested in Adapt and Pronunciation
… and we managed to meet with i18n
… got helpful information regarding locale
… we were pleased to hear how much customization this attribute supports
… ARIA heard about Adapt and they were supportive
… spoke about color contrast

<Joshue108_> /me gotta drop

PaulG: We need a liaison to CSS

* Lionel waves bye to Joshue108_

matatk: We need more people, CSS and otherwise. A lot of work to do, some of it ground-breaking
… for example, how we need review of the vehicle spec

janina: The meeting with Verifiable Credentials was highly promising
… in the immediate, RQTF may look at digital wallet accessibility
… long term, this really looks like an effective way to communicate accessibility preferences across devices
… we thought CSS would do this

matatk: Timed text, we flagged that we are interested in making the tolerances between the delay of caption vis a vis video, more normative
… we were informed about the challenges involved
… sharp limits on what the broadcaster can control versus what the recipient receives
… this validated the research, and we affirmed that they are interested in this issue
… and was a privilege and pleasure, encouraging and motivating, to be there in person. Kudos to the W3C organizational team, the remote was very effective

Roy: The TPAC hub event in China
… all W3C members and staff in Chiina could not travel to Vancouver and the time difference was onerous

<matatk> https://www.w3.org/2022/09/hangzhou/a11y/report.html

Roy: it was two days
… first day focused on the Chinese IG
… Web RTC, web editing, metaverse
… second day focused on an accessibility event
… Roy was a host
… all day event, participants included people from the disabled communities, Huawei, Xaomi, OPPO, VIVO, Honor etcand other mobile companies
… TenCent, Alibaba, Tiktok
… we had 120 participants who joined
… Part 1 was when the companies and vendors introduced themselves and shared their accessibility work in their products
… progress in the past few years in accessibility
… the second part, people in the disabled community got to raise their voices
… the companies and vendors got to hear directly of challenges and struggles PwD have in using the products
… another purpose
… to collect requirements from the Chinese accessibility community
… I am looking for anything that can incubate in the APA WG

matatk: Sounds fantastic

+1 to how nicely done it was, Roy!

Lionel_Wolberger: We've discussed regulation driving access for the elderly; was regulation discussed?

Roy: Standards participants include government, mostly industry. There is a standard for accessibility for the elderly, which references WCAG 2.1

Lionel_Wolberger: Do you see any impact on the work/remit of APA from the new legal entity?

janina: no

janina: We're rechartering next year (as normal)

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 192 (Tue Jun 28 16:55:30 2022 UTC).


Succeeded: s/WHAT-WG/WHATWG/

Succeeded: s/Huawei, Xaomi, /Huawei, Xaomi, OPPO, VIVO, Honor etc/

Maybe present: Roy