Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

22 September 2022


Becca_Monteleone, Jennie, julierawe, lisa, Poornima, Rachael, Rain, rashmi, Roy, ShawnT
lisa, rashmi, ShawnT

Meeting minutes

subgroups: Structure Review For Content Useable and Research Plan and Strategy

tpac summary and next steps. Silver, Functional Needs and EO

Lisa: The first subtopic we did was functional need
… APA Josh Michael is working very hard.

First thing we are working on Categories
… It may take longer so I am going to suggest a branch
… We have done more than in need for basic cognitive function requirement
… are people agreed for that

Rachael: give APA chairs the list of groups you want to have feedback from

Lisa: I am going to Ask Michael the idea suggest reviewing organization and the intersectionality and map to
… The idea suggested by Rachael

Poornima: Introduces herself, she is SME in Holland America Organization.

Welcome Poornima to the group!

Lisa: Offered Poornima that she can take orientation program with Poornima and anybody else who is intersected can join.
… Lisa ask Rain to coordinate between subgroup and COGA
… If they want to join we can find common times.
… For Silver we should wait till the things are more in shape

Julie: Talked about pronunciation aspects discussed at TPAC

Julie: Would love to have more discussions about the methodology about pronounciation.

Jennie: I think I like ideas about issue paper

<Rachael> +1 to use cases in content usable

<Becca_Monteleone> +1 for emphasizing use cases using public devices


Jennie: And so one of the things we talked about in Minnesota is the concept that many individuals with cognitive disabilities may be accessing digital information at the library or in a place where they don't own the computer.

And so, I personally think those use cases should be on content usable as well as just to help support the idea, but then also just reinforce the concept that even if something is applied only to one page, or one sites, organization, the person still
… hope that it helps

julie was saying that it is not helpful if needs are covered by new tech IF people in coga can not use them (too complex, dont know about it etc)

Rain: A github issue can be raised

in order for things to truly be accessible. They need to be marked up right. We can't rely on people having the newest, most high end technology available to them and it's you know it's part of part of our job as people working on specifications. with W3c To ensure that people realize that only making something that works with the fanciest newest, most expensive technology is about the furthest thing you can get from equity.
… My proposal is to document things to make sure that thing moves forward with silver

<Zakim> Rachael, you wanted to recommend putting it in the test

Rachael: I recommend I would add a comment so that its taken care and not can fall for next iterations

EO scrips preety: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17nVmc7-9Whv0jtwVWNaX_svGC-asP9YBrU_BsfxnN80/edit#heading=h.e4ovh4cg5tf2

<Rachael> Testing subgroup is technically over but it can come into a new iteration of that subgroup. I recommend adding a note within the test documentation created by COGA. I've added it to a chairs list of key questions under accessibility supported and testing. I also recommend someone from COGA engaging with the Accessibility Supported subgroup in addition to Rain's involvement with the testing subgroup.

Rashmi: my apologies this was told by Rain "in order for things to truly be accessible. They need to be marked up right. We can't rely on people having the newest, most high end technology available to them and it's you know it's part of part of our job as people working on specifications. with W3c To ensure that people realize that only making something that works with the fanciest newest, most expensive technology is about the furthest thing you [CUT]

Julie: Big think with Pretty is the fact that she is 13 and need about safety for children the concern that John Kirkwood raised

ready to submit put in +1

<julierawe> +1

<Becca_Monteleone> +1 - great job on revising!

<Rain> +1

<Poornima> +1

+1 with comment that we realy need more time, but this is what we could do in the deadline

Yan https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XQaPkwJMjkhveFYGZ9deYuqTmU0xH8lFm5_03-DeKd8/edit?usp=sharing

<Jennie> +1

Lisa: Next one isYun

<julierawe> +1 to Rashmi's comment about light gray text

Poornima: ad point about tooltips or hovering
… with related to hand tremors

Luis https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VzYUBM192J_pvuEcHAsdIywh7xngcbFYR2IaWhiQCLk/edit?usp=sharing

Julie: discussing about Louise

<julierawe> +1

<Becca_Monteleone> +1

<Jennie> +1

Becca: place her concern about speech sound in the script

<Poornima> +1

<Rain> +1

+1 to submit to eo as minum changes, with a more possitive alternive also present

Julie: +1 to Becca the sentence seems unuseful so may remove it



<Jennie> +1

<julierawe> +1

<Poornima> +1

<Rain> +1

<Becca_Monteleone> +1

Ian https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zDinqPxwUdG60POmZ2vBkb0L02RpfgnMRKIQQG5k3jw/edit?usp=sharing

Lisa: Next one is Ian and we want to change it in female

<Becca_Monteleone> +1 to changing from white male autistic stereotype

Julie: with person of color may be non-binary

rain likes the additions

Rain: I appreciate all the additions done to the persona.

are we ready to submit this (+1)


<Becca_Monteleone> +1

<julierawe> +1

<Jennie> +1

<Rain> +1


<Poornima> +1

<julierawe> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XQaPkwJMjkhveFYGZ9deYuqTmU0xH8lFm5_03-DeKd8/edit#

vote yun with this changes


<Becca_Monteleone> +1

<julierawe> +1

<Jennie> +1

<Rain> +1

<Poornima> +1


send out survey? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc4ugu4iWRlEQ84-NWJmaiwtVWkXD1mhdCxB6MMy8N_mT56Bg/viewform

<Poornima> I'll have to drop for today. Will join the sub-group meeting for next week. Thanks everyone!

thanks for joining

close item 6

close item 7

close item 8

<Kiki> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ql32NLUquUtJwGuMuORZpNN4iNdLdcWtdBbIfWsRYW0/edit?usp=sharing

content usable survey

Kiki: Walking though the document
… to give us an idea of how many participants we need
… haven't reviewed all the results but this should give us an overview
… this is a draft research plan

<lisa> send out survey? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc4ugu4iWRlEQ84-NWJmaiwtVWkXD1mhdCxB6MMy8N_mT56Bg/viewform,

lisa: This gives a person a chance to come out with ideas

reserch survey

lisa: can we talk about the research survey now?
… we got rid of the grid questions

julierawe: What would the formate of the qualitative interviews

Kiki: we normally setup a live stream and see if we can record, easier to annualize

julierawe: usually when we do interviews we have other people watching and send questions to the interviewer live

Kiki: I will be using a script, not sure what the standards are that we have here

Rain: will take the action item about checking with Shawn Henry and M Cooper to see what processes we can take

lisa: a question we should ask is when do you give up on using the document
… another question, when do you find that you can't use a website
… specific tasks that people won't use online (like online banking)

<lisa> send out survey? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc4ugu4iWRlEQ84-NWJmaiwtVWkXD1mhdCxB6MMy8N_mT56Bg/viewform,

lisa: are we ready to go to the next topic about the survey?

julierawe: one more question would be, what topic would you expect to find in the document and to show us how they would find it in the document?

Kiki: took down the questions lisa suggested
… we want to try to understand their behaviours

<lisa> send out survey? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc4ugu4iWRlEQ84-NWJmaiwtVWkXD1mhdCxB6MMy8N_mT56Bg/viewform,

lisa: the research survey...
… can we send it out before the bigger group votes on it
… will put it in the agenda for next week

julierawe: small suggestions, the first page is a lot of scroll
… maybe put it into smaller pages

lisa: planning on breaking it up

Rain: also has a recommendation on the questions themselves

… it might be helpful to put the topics into bold to help users identify the questions

julierawe: one other small things, sometimes there's squares, sometimes there's circles, can we make it uniform?

<Kiki> Rain asked my question, can remove my q

lisa: it's using common radio buttons and checkboxes

Rain: there are some questions iin the survey that should be radio buttons instead of checkboxes

lisa: I will change them
… I will change them and add it to the agenda for next week
… I was a little bit concerned that the questions sounded redundant

Kiki: clustering questions into different sections
… there were no follow up questions if the user selected to allow more questions

lisa: it should have asked for an email if they allowed more questions

Rain: that question was used to collect demographic information in the previous survey.

lisa: we will remove that question

julierawe: I support clustering by different sections
… I think it would it would be better to have shorter sections / multiple pages than one longer sections


julierawe: I think we are close to sharing

lisa: we had subheadings and I think it was harder to read with a screen reader so I put it all on one line
… would people be interested in moving forward

Kiki: I don't think there's that much more to do

lisa: we can move it forward in the group

Kiki: suggest that the survey link should said how many pages in the survey

<Rain> Oureach - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xXjHPCfWm00iAJqmjdwFq_RQ80vKwwxFAoiEGI3NOlM/edit#gid=0

lisa: next question how many people to send it out, Rain do we have the list of people we send it out.

Rain: shared the outreach

lisa: should we make a new spreadsheet

Rain: there's a new tab in that document

lisa: this is a little different, it might be the research community that might be interested
… any questions?

Research Plan and Strategy sending out survey.

<lisa> close item 9

Research Plan and Strategy: update on recruiting

<lisa> https://docs.google.com/document/d/15HtPkkYx1CIl6bAwP2nsSZKhqTVbqcuMDRz5RmtmvXg/edit#heading=h.6co50luve41b

lisa: we had a lot of recruiting for research

Rain: we are waiting on doing the final assessment on the survey
… we will figure out who we will reach out to and how after the assessment

lisa: I thought this was to reach out to new partners to help update our research documents
… we very much wanted to update our core research documents
… we could plug into community work

Rain: yes that was what we talked about in the face to face
… Kiki is here because of the out reach

<lisa> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DoohB2-tREjXx7PF6sCi3jLt6OrjE1ciAb0Dcb7FgyU/edit#heading=h.fuatm6qk6a2h

Rain: a clear message from the COGA task force and I want to make sure this is W3C and not Google specific

lisa: supplied the document
… does anyone else have any new research inside your organizations

julierawe: two coga members come to mind
… John Rochford, and Jennie

+1 to those two folks

lisa: I'm going to add E.A., John K and David F
… I think we are good, any other issues to discuss?

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 192 (Tue Jun 28 16:55:30 2022 UTC).


Maybe present: Becca, Julie, Kiki