Silver Task Force & Community Group

22 July 2022


Chuck, jaeunjemmaku, jeanne, kirkwood, Lauriat, Makoto, MichaelC, Poornima, Rachael, sarahhorton, SuzanneTaylor, ToddL
jeanne, Shawn

Meeting minutes

<Lauriat> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/wiki/Scribe_List

Silver Task Force Migration

Jeanne: merge with AGWG

<jeanne> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uGDMEAuB2CM8FgrI8FoSJeLMcVvQhWuTtLiyNH4RZIY/edit#

Jeanne: this is an early draft of what the transition will look like

<jeanne> Silver Task Force Transition Draft

Jeanne: The plan right now is that the Silver TF will end at the end of this charter and we expect this charter to expire in Oct
… (the dates may slide)
… What are our goals between now and October
… The chairs have suggested a review of the content for silver in advance of TPAC
… thoughts on what we should do as the TF comes to completion

<Lauriat> My understanding: the TF ends, the work continues, so more of an organizational thing.

Rachael: Broader goal was a review before AGWG, since that has been a strength of the TF

<Chuck> +1

Sarah: Can you clarify what is Silver-related content?

Jeanne: Perhaps this should change to WCAG 3 related content

Jeanne: Is there any particular prototype or proposal that you would like to ensure we complete before Oct
… we have done a lot of work in the last 5 years and worked really hard, so I want to be sure participants have the opportunity to complete work
… let us know now, or through email

Shawn: In my understanding of how we are moving forward, this is more of an organizational thing, so the transition in Oct doesn't need to be seen as an ending, since everyone will still be involved

<Zakim> Lauriat, you wanted to note the continuation of this

Jeanne: The Friday time slot will still be used as an AGWG meeting
… and we expect this is where a lot of work will get done

Sarah: Responding to the previous question, and flipping it to Jeanne and Shawn, as the leaders, are there things you want to ensure we can all bring forward...

<Chuck> I defer my place in queue so that Shawn and Jeanne can answer Sarah's question.

Sarah: are there things that might get lost that we should address before the transition

Jeanne: I think there older work that we need to make sure is not lost, and I've beening working on this recently, bringing research forward to AGWG
… I feel I will continue to be a resource person for bringing that work forward
… Shawn and I will continue to be editors for WCAG 3 and part of the leadership team
… I happy to do that and I'm hoping that as we integrate, more people will participate, and as they do, I find they generally adopt the vision we have set up within Silver

Sarah: that's great thanks for sharing that. Shawn, do you have anything you would like to share with the group? How we keep the vision in place?

Shawn: The biggest thing that you can do is continue to participate as you have. All of you/us collectively have a lot of knowledge and experience and it is extremely helpful to have that institutional knowledge come along for the journey
… iterations and early feedback will help a lot going forward - really project management strategy that we should bring forward

Chuck: I remember the very first moment that I had an opportunity to be a part of this group, and it has been an honor and pleasure to work with Silver for WCAG 3 - it's been a great ride, and this doesn't end anything - it's a transition that will hopefully bring more energy and support for our work
… planning to keep this meeting at this time on Friday mornings

<Chuck> +111111111111111111111111111

Rachael: I think part of the reason that Chuck and I stepped into the chair role was to help Silver's work would be not lost. We really appreciate that Shawn and Jeanne are willing to continue as Editors.
… we are going to make a lot decisions at TPAC. If you are able, we really want you there, at TPAC
… this document will be an ongoing conversation, so we are bringing this to you first
… We greatly value the Silver work
… This meeting will likely be for reviewing content before the Tuesday meeting, as well as running exercises

Shawn: I think I would like to see Tuesday meeting shortened, if it is mainly for decision making

Poornima: As this meeting becomes AGWG meeting, will this be all WCAG 3, or other topics as well?

Sarah: I would suggest that through Oct we could: take the structure we've developed, which is unique to WCAG 3, the framework in the editor's draft,
… if we believe in this, we may want to have some kind of architectural blue print to help all AGWG to see the framework and how they currently work together
… at one point there was an exercise, where I put all of it into a spreadsheet - maybe something like that as a transitional doc

Jeanne: Thanks, could you find/share the spreadsheet? something on the agenda for TPAC is exactly that, to bring people up to speed on the architecture

Chuck: to answer Poornima, the AGWG Tuesday meeting will become more focused on WCAG 3, but will still do some WCAG 2 work (maintenance and WCAG to ITC)

<Zakim> jeanne, you wanted to say Update and consolidate the Guideline writing process

Jeanne: As Sarah was talking, I realized there is something really important that we should do to wrap up the Silve TF phase
… we have made a huge contribution in the guideline writing process
… we did updates and tweaks to the process for writing outcomes, methods, tests and guidelines
… all this needs to be pulled together in a package and updated, so that when we start writing guidelines, that work is not lost, particularly because it is a little scattered right now
… would like to propose to the chairs that we have this a main task between now and Oct

<Rachael> +1 to finalizing the writing process. Suggest moving it up

Jeanne: I have added it under the goals

<Chuck> +1

Jeanne: Next item that needs discussion is what will happen to the Silver Community Group
… it has been a huge help and way to gather more talent

<sarahhorton> Functional outcomes document: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_Vu0ix-d-Qrv1wDZYQhfUX6jICE_bRalypp1rtcie8w/edit#gid=1109648765

Jeanne: it will continue, now associated with AGWG
… there may be some changes due to W3C roles and permissions, but aside from so small changes, the group will continue and be an on-ramp for new talent

SC migration and categorization

As, mentioned Jeanne Shawn will continue as editors and participate in leadership call

<jeanne> SC Migration Assignments

<Rachael> Also thanks to MaryJo for all her work on this spreadsheet organization

Jeanne: Rachel and I spent several hours on this spreadsheet. I'm happy to say, there are only 4 left.
… setting up 4 breakout rooms

Shawn: should we hold off on Page Break navigation, since it is at risk

Chuck: Yes, we should hold off

[Group left to breakout group]

Jeanne: How far did 1.2.6 get?

Makoto: We are almost done. We are writing 3 subguidelines and we need more time, but are very close to finish

Jeanne: We'd like to have this done early next week, can you finish?

[group agrees to keep working]

Jeanne: Next is Character Key Shortcuts?

Poornima: We completed first section, but we will complete by Tuesday

Jeanne: The last group 1.4.8

Mary Jo: We were stalled a bit on functional needs, so didn't get super far

Jeanne: the chairs can complete this one

Jeanne: Congratulations - 7 partials left

<Rachael> Thank you all!!!!!

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 192 (Tue Jun 28 16:55:30 2022 UTC).


Maybe present: Sarah, Shawn