W3 Process CG

08 June 2022


fantasai, florian, jrosewell, plh, wseltzer
Chris, Jeff
fantasai, wseltzer

Meeting minutes

Goals and timeline for upcoming Process: Work for the next 9 months.

plh: Fantasai and I are your new chairs, welcome back
… we have no fires
… but we should set goals for the next 9mo
… a few edits that have been approved and merged

<plh> Change log

plh: nothing that requires shipping a process update urgently
… mainly continued prep for post-Director
… Don't think we're on-track to ship a process in September
… and as there are no significant substantive changes
… We could get Dir-Free by Q1/Q2 2023
… need we ship a Process before then? I don't think so

<wseltzer> +1

florian: agree
… git would permit us to ship one while working on another in branch
… but don't think it's worth the pause we've seen in the past

fantasai: the pause was combo of explanation and exhaustion. don't think that's necessary here

<fantasai> wseltzer: I think we should explicitly choose to wait until DF to update

<plh> wseltzer: let's wait until we have Director-Free

<florian> wfm

plh: I think, unless someone comes with something critical, focus on Q1-Q2 Dir-Free release
… by moving things one by one from Dir-Free branch to main

4 Pull requests: Let's approve pull requests within 2 weeks

plh: PRs. Not looking for approval today, but heads-up that we'll ask for decision in 2 weeks
… 2 PRs on the same issue
… from wseltzer, florian

florian: as mine preceded Wendy's, which has PSIG review
… if people like Wendy's, take it

fantasai: but Nigel pointed out problems

ACTION: wseltzer to re-review 599 and Nigel's comments

ACTION: everyone fix the process

plh: if there are other things in 572, do a distinct PR
… Wendy, tell us how to move forward

<fantasai> florian: the additional changes in 572 are part of the same thing, just touching more of the surrounding text

plh: 602 is simple clarification of how we announce charter extensions to AC

florian: can we just approve this?
… it's trivial

wseltzer: +1

plh: let's merge 602


plh: 586


florian: this is one from Dir-Free
… when a doc is making progress on rec track, there are things team should check
… currently, it's marked the Director is supposed to do, but should be done by team
… not decision responsibility but verification
… it's starting from WG decision
… and the possibility of AC review if something goes wrong
… so it should be easy to replace Dir with Team

plh: and a should became must

plh: people SHOULD look at it
… in 2 weeks, I'll ask if merge


fantasai: I agree with changes. see Leonie's comment
… that team should document exceptions
… should address either in this PR or elsewhere

florian: I'll add something

plh: I'll want to make sure Ralph sees the update

Director-Free Formal Objection handling: Status & next steps.

plh: FOs

florian: we have a description of Council in DF branch
… not completely up-to-date with experimental process, esp wrt dismissal/recusal
… we also need to review

<plh> W3M-AB Formal Objection Planning

plh: I came up with this draft ^
… steps and who's responsible
… check its alignment with DF

florian: I expect most of that detail would go in to /Guide

plh: agree. mostly check for consistency
… and there's more work to be done around dismissal

florian: not stable yet

plh: I'll ask Ralph to join us next meeting, as he's been Council team contact

florian: a nit, Member Submission appeal
… we should fold into the same process once we have the Council, currently says for technical things go to TAG and for process things go to AB

florian: and detail about what's public when
… also group decision appeal. similar to FO, but not quite

plh: timing
… right now Dir can decide whether to address when objection is brought or at transition time
… who addresses when to address? give Council the option?

florian: timer starts when objection is filed. team has some time to review, ...

plh: bad side effect
… e.g. I have groups who have FO on record, who haven't sent transition request

florian: start a new issue

fantasai: people shouldn't be able to escalate to council at non-transition time unless at least formal decision to which they object, or long-standing (year-long) issue ignored
… you shouldn't be able to go to council on e.g. an editor's choice that has not yet been escalated to the WG

Director-Free TAG appointment: Status & next steps.

florian: we had a complete proposal, we haven't touched it in a long time, probably need to simplify
… how should we proceed?

fantasai: think we should file an issue with AB
… w high level overview

plh: let's review proposal next time

florian: I can proceed in parallel

Director-Free Chartering and pre-AC review: Status & next steps.

florian: DF branch just replaces Dir with Team
… some people feel it's insufficient
… and want more member role/transparency/mgt
… should we do 2 steps or 1?

plh: 2 steps. let's land what we have and then recognize we need to do better

florian: I'm fine with it

florian: but some people not here have indicated being uncomfortable with that

plh: who will work on this, wendy?

[discussion of florian making a PR of the minimal changes]

P2022 to close: restarting the closures.

plh: florian and david spent lots of time on issue triage
… reminder, we'll do some issue closure

<florian> https://github.com/w3c/w3process/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22P2022+Proposed+to+close%22

plh: on upcoming calls

P2022 issues list.

plh: if you have issues that aren't on this list, please make sure you speak up
… or if you believe issues should be dropped,

florian: this isn't list of everything that must be fixed
… it's a signal of things we'll probably try to solve

plh: if you want issues to be on the list, chairs will be looking for volunteers.

Next meeting: June 22.

plh: btw, we should expect to share progress at TPAC


Summary of action items

  1. wseltzer to re-review 599 and Nigel's comments
  2. everyone fix the process
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 185 (Thu Dec 2 18:51:55 2021 UTC).