Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

26 May 2022


lisa, Fazio, Rashmi, Rain, Roy, Becca_Monteleone, julierawe, present+, JustineP, Le, ShawnT, kirkwood, MichaelC, julierawe_, aaronchu, cweidner
Jennie, Kris Anne, Julie


Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force

<Rain> topic+ Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force

<Rain> scribe: cweidner

apologies all having some Zoom issues

<Rain> scribe+ Rain

<Rain> Rain: asked Aaron to introduce self

<Rain> aaronchu: been working in accessibility for many years, front end engineering for Apple and web a11y work for past 8 years, switching research to cognitive and learning disabilities to help build foundation of knowledge in space

<Rain> ... academically current research with NYU

<Rain> Lisa: offering Aaron new member call orientation

<scribe> scribe: cweidner

Subgroup check in - https://docs.google.com/document/d/15HtPkkYx1CIl6bAwP2nsSZKhqTVbqcuMDRz5RmtmvXg/edit

Rain: Any subgroup leaders have updates? Trying to keep short due to time constraints.

Lisa: MH subgroup is beginning analysis. 15 docs done for review thus far. Still have more papers to review. Open to volunteers! Transitioning to next phase.

Rain: On Julies behalf for Clear Language -- They are attempting to write a test for a specific pattern as a follow up from Silver to see what that will look like. Their call is following this meeting.
... On EO work -- EO is requesting more info for our recommendations. Julie is reviewing and creating a 1st draft for a response with explanations. When she has that draft complete it will be shared with the full Task Force.

<ShawnT> EO is the Education and Outreach Working Group (EOWG): https://www.w3.org/WAI/about/groups/eowg/

Rain: On Jennie's behalf on Images-- We are working with a designer and we've given them a mid-June deadline. We will review as a Task Force on the June 23rd call.

Check attendance plans for June 2

<ShawnT> +1

<Rain> Please add a +1 in IRC if you are planning to attend next week

<aaronchu> +1

<Becca_Monteleone> -1

<Rashmi> +1

<Rain> and a -1 if not, and 0 if not sure

<Rain> +1

Rain: +1 if attending -1 if not, 0 if not sure.


<kirkwood> +1

RESOLUTION: we will hold our meeting next week as we have enough attendence

ICCHP face to face on July 12, cancelling July 14 - https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Meetings/June-2022#Coga_TF_F2F_Meeting

Rain: Last week we resolved to have a face to face meeting at the ICCHP conference in Italy. Thanks to Roy for creating the wiki page. I'll fill it today with the info.
... It will be available both virtually and in-person. Lisa, Rain, David Fazio intend to be in-person. We will ensure that anyone unable to attend in person will be able to attend virtually. Please plan for activities throughout the day.
... We don't have the schedule figured out yet. We will try to make sure it makes sense for the specific subgroup participants.
... We will *not* be meeting on July 14th.

Lisa: I'm actually still not sure whether I'll be able to attend in person, but will certainly be there in-person.

David: This will be my first time attending ICCHP. Unsure what to expect, but thanks to Rain for helping out and getting this going.

<Rain> q

<Rain> zakim take up item 4

Protocol change: adjust meeting times to 55 minutes

<kirkwood> Woo Hoo!

Rain: We've been asked to make a protocol change -- adjust meeting times to 55 mins. This will help us have a break between the main meeting and subgroup meeting.

TPAC, confirm predicted attendance plans

<ShawnT> TPAC: https://www.w3.org/blog/news/archives/9503

Rain: We need to confirm predicted attendance. I need to fill out a W3C form to let them plan for logistics. They understand that these numbers are likely to change.

<Rain> Please put +1 for in person, -1 for virtual, 0 for unsure or not attending TP

<kirkwood> -1

<aaronchu> 0

<Becca_Monteleone> 0

<ShawnT> +100

<Rain> New poll: +1 for in person, 0 for virtual, -1 for not attending

<kirkwood> 0

<aaronchu> -1

<Becca_Monteleone> 0


<Le> 0

<ShawnT> +1

<Rashmi> 0

<Fazio> +1

Rain: TPAC will be hosted in Vancouver, Canada this year.

<Rain> Lisa is a +1

<Rain> +1

Rain: Based on conversations we've had with this group, Lisa and I have discussed our group having a face to face on 1 day, and the other 3 days we'll coordinate with Silver and work with them.

<Fazio> pronunciation

<Fazio> APA Task Force

Lisa: I think we'll try to be flexible. We might meet for a day and a half as a group. We also might have opportunities to work with other groups in addition to the Silver AG group.

David: APA is going some really interesting work with talking interfaces and there might be some interesting collaboration opportunities there.

<ShawnT> APA Task Force: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/

Rain: Lisa and I have been talking with Yanina and we might be able to make that work as well.

<ShawnT> Pronunciation Task Force of the APA WG: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/pronunciation/

<Fazio> I have a scientific update we need to make

<Rain> Structure subgroup page: https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Subgroups/Structure

Rain: One of our goals around Content Usable 2.0 was to begin to think about structure. We've created a new Structure subgroup to begin working on this.

<Rain> Data collection plan document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lW-ds-UJkQU_SR0RXA9dnR7tjWlLkzPGQC_RBA0S5Vc/edit#heading=h.k2uu05tz7cki

Rain: We've come up with a data collection plan and wanted to talk through this plan as this model may be useful for other groups or the Task Force might have input.
... Please feel free to review over the next couple of weeks but I'll talk through what we came up with.

David: What's the process for if the science has changed?

Rain: This wouldn't be applicable around the structure review. It's a better question for the Research Plan and Strategy subgroup which also is meeting after this meeting today.

<ShawnT> COGA sub groups: https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Subgroups

Lisa: If you look on our timeline, at this stage we want to know what our strategy is for moving forward to update our research. A lot of what we have in there presently is out of date. There has been 10 years of research since we've started.

<Fazio> sounds good

Rain: This document is not meant to include a new proposal for structure. Its just outline our due diligence to understand what we have and what we need to know before we move forward.

Rain references the document for questions being considered

Rain walks the group through the rest of the document and proposed timeline.

Lisa: Do we have data from the W3C on how much documents or sections of documents are being used?
... Would love more insights like location data of users, etc.

Rain: I've added this to the user research list.

Lisa: How do the different subgroups work together? Can we make one initiative?
... We've received feedback around using as a manual for testing and they were unable to use it for that. While that wasn't our intent for the document originally...it could be interesting if we wanted to position it for that in the future.
... another group could be AG and APA as well as Standards

Rain: I've added them all to the list.

Rashmi: I would like designers to be added to this group. Should we target them?

Rain: Yes. This brings to mind special-ed teachers as well.

Lisa: What is the timeline for the other subgroups to provide additional questions for thus survey? Is there a limit?

Rain: I don't have the answers yet, but we can reach out to the community group.
... I'll report back on that next week.

<kirkwood> I would recommend getting conversation designers in the mix

Functional needs review - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ndRziXRfnyAgDaL8ctByQagDdM36H8QxV44lO3u8zgc/edit#

<Rain> Functional needs review: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ndRziXRfnyAgDaL8ctByQagDdM36H8QxV44lO3u8zgc/edit#

Lisa: Last week we discussed the functional needs subgroup. They have put together this list of functional needs and user needs.
... Perhaps next week I'd like to go over this document with the group. Can folks look over this document in time for next week's meeting?
... Keep an eye out for what's missing. Is there anyone that would like to be a part of the discussion that can't make it next week?
... There is a table at the right of the document that has tracked the work done thus far.

John: I should be able to make it next week. What jumps out to me at this stage is processing. I don't think its at the level it needs to be.

personal announcement from Rain

Rain: I will be stepping down as co-facilitator in June for personal reasons.
... Not going anywhere. I'm still here. *we all rejoice*

<Fazio> we dig you, Rain

<ShawnT> +1 to Fazio

Thank you so much for all the work you've done in this role, Rain. We know how much work it's been.

<LisA> Topic mental health

<Rashmi> Thank you Rain for your wonderful work!!

<ShawnT> I will not be able to make the sub group meeting today

resech plan

<LisA> Review structure of research modules and issue papers See https://www.w3.org/TR/coga-user-research/ And https://w3c.github.io/coga/issue-papers/ And https://www.w3.org/TR/coga-gap-analysis/ Identify the issue papers that we have almost ready and review them to make them publish ready Includes: Bots Wayfinding (coming soon from community group: live transcription) Are there other urgent issues papers for v2? Were there suggestions from github issues,[CUT]

<Le> Speaking of research, where can i find the google docs for the Mental Health research?

<ShawnT> https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1FLaeWc0dEeSSTmBV2jmiEbM_2q1ZGAEG

<Rain> Time for a break!

<Rain> Come back at the hour if you are joining a subgroup

<Rain> Breakout rooms are set up in Zoom so you can join the one you want

<LisA> Timelines https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JXa94s2lbzJ0v9FHasxxws3CsOcljHHBdlQ2VOxYqAQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

<LisA> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Subgroups/Mental_Health

<Rain> For the Clear Language folks: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oKFdfFN-98QZX2vaS77ElheXS_ruKhtObUHEsJjKpp4/edit#heading=h.1et5sb74qcgm

<aaronchu> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JXa94s2lbzJ0v9FHasxxws3CsOcljHHBdlQ2VOxYqAQ/edit

<Rain> RRSAgent: make minutes

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

  1. we will hold our meeting next week as we have enough attendence
[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.200 (CVS log)
$Date: 2022/05/26 15:33:08 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision VERSION of 2020-12-31
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: lisa, Fazio, Rashmi, Rain, Roy, Becca_Monteleone, julierawe, present+, JustineP, Le, ShawnT, kirkwood, MichaelC, julierawe_, aaronchu, cweidner
Present: lisa, Fazio, Rashmi, Rain, Roy, Becca_Monteleone, julierawe, present+, JustineP, Le, ShawnT, kirkwood, MichaelC, julierawe_, aaronchu, cweidner
Regrets: Jennie, Kris Anne, Julie
Found Scribe: cweidner
Inferring ScribeNick: cweidner
Found Scribe: cweidner
Inferring ScribeNick: cweidner

WARNING: No date found!  Assuming today.  (Hint: Specify
the W3C IRC log URL, and the date will be determined from that.)
Or specify the date like this:
<dbooth> Date: 12 Sep 2002

People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]