Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

21 Apr 2022


ShawnT, Jennie, Present, Rashmi, JohnRochford, Fazio, kirkwood, Rachael, Jan, julierawe_, mbgower, julierawe, Becca_Monteleone, JustineP, Le, krisanne, david-swallow
Lisa, Rain, EA, Albert


<Lisa> clear agenda

<lisa> trackbot, start meeting

<trackbot> Meeting: Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

<trackbot> Date: 21 April 2022

<lisa> clear q

<Zakim> mbgower, you wanted to say how do we get 'consistent' in here?

<Jennie> * No problem Rachael

<Jennie> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Scribing_Commands_and_Related_Info

<scribe> Scribe: Julie

Jennie gives overview of how to scribe

<Jennie> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Scribe_list

Jennie explains how to sign up to be the scribe for upcoming meetings

<Jennie> * Thank you Roy!

Becca is new member. Assistant professor of disability studies at University of Toledo. Big focus on intersection of plain language and technology.

David is new member. Senior accessibility engineer at TPGI. Interested in anxiety and panic disorder and how mental health affects web accessibility.

Rachael providing an update on what is happening at the Accessibility Guidelines Working Group meeting

<Jennie> *New members: if you have a question or comment, we usually use the letter q followed by + to get a chance to speak.

<Rachael> https://raw.githack.com/w3c/wcag/charter-2022/charter.html

Rachael: last week's AG meeting focused on WCAG 3 approach for next 2 years including answering key questions and also what is missing from WCAG3
... WCAG3 working draft is exploring concept of different kinds of tests
... Goal is to expand the coverage of categories of disabilities, including cognitive and mental health
... We explored scoring models and got feedback that it was complicated and wouldn't meet regulatory needs
... So we have been exploring more subjective testing and will update our editor's draft to start to document and explore that approach

<Jennie> Julie: Rachael - the subgroup that may be meeting next week. Which group?

<Fazio> we did

<Fazio> we had a proposed language

Rachael: The subgroup on visible controls for WCAG 2.2 is still working to achieve concensus. May meet next week.

<Jennie> Julie: David F - can you give a quick summary of the concerns?

David: Concerns are visible controls can be applied uniformly, such as what standards for meeting hover-over controls

<Zakim> Rachael, you wanted to add to that answer

Rachael: One concern is whether or not something needs a visible control. Hard to get consistent answers from all people who are evaluating on what a failure is.
... Feel free to reach out to me directly with questions or concerns

<Jennie> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JXa94s2lbzJ0v9FHasxxws3CsOcljHHBdlQ2VOxYqAQ/edit

Jennie: We are reviewing COGA timeline for year 2
... A couple weeks ago we reviewed Stage 1.
... KPI stands for Key Performance Indicators
... In google doc, you can click on my head to see where I am in the document
... Example: KPI for mental health is to review 50 papers and identify new user needs for Content Usable

<Jennie> Julie: Content Usable column: version 1 was published previously

<Jennie> Rachael: yes, final version a year ago, web version a few months ago

<Rachael> Published 29 April 2021

<Jennie> Julie: what is in column 1 is for issue 2

<Jennie> Julie: version 2 of Content Usable

<Jennie> Julie: The issue papers are separate.

<Jennie> ...Bots, emerging technologies

<Jennie> ...To provide a lens on how this impacts people with cognitive and learning disabilities

<Jennie> ...The 3rd column works with WCAG 3 preparations

Jennie: Stage 2 is April 2023 to September 2023
... This group has many great ideas and then gets bogged down in what we can accomplish in a period of time
... People can offer input and we can revise as we're going
... Content Usable includes internationalization KPIs

<Jennie> Julie: do we think 6 months is realistic for working with the internationalization group?

John Kirkwood: I second the concern about need to carefully curate in 6 months

Jennie: I propose refining the KPIs to be more measureable and achievable
... Perhaps the KPI is to propose solutions and begin conversations with the international group

<Jennie> Julie: I think that is more doable

<Jennie> ...Beginning the conversation after proposing solutions seems more concrete

<Jennie> ...Gives us more time to get feedback, incorporate it

<Jennie> ...This will give us more flexibility in terms of how we get feedback

Jennie: I'm going to list them now as "Proposed KPIs: Draft solutions, share proposed solutions with internationalization group, and begin dialogue with that group

John K.: I've had a lot of experience with this specifically and what I found is this was a real learning experience for us working with them. We can learn from them and their processes.

John K. There are concepts that go across multiple languages and cultures.

John K.: We can learn a lot from them and if we can have handoffs, it can be more efficient for everyone.

John K.: If we can figure out how their processes work, we can work together more effectively.

Jennie: Add KPI to review the internationalization group's process for work. The develop a workflow.
... This looks like it would make the other KPI more efficient.

<Jennie> Julie: I wonder about the length of time to learn about their process. MThat might take 2 months.

<Jennie> ...Is 6 months realistic, plus figuring out how we can develop a workflow

<kirkwood> +1 to Julie

Jennie: Looking below--is any of the work later in 2023 reliant on completing the internationalization work?
... The question is we're saying the KPI about workflow would have to be done before the KPI about draft and sharing?
... Begin to discuss upcoming KPI on internationalization with that intl group so it's the first KPI
... How we can suggest beginning the dialogue first
... Propose splitting into multiple KPIs and reorder
... 1st KPI: begin dialogue with internationalization so they know what we're doing and begin to review/understand their process.

<ShawnT> +1

Jennie: 2nd KPI: Begin to develop workflow with intl group

<Rashmi> +1


<Becca_Monteleone> +1

<david-swallow> +1

<Le> +1

John K: I'm looking at the intl group's minutes and mission. I think I might have had a misinterpretation of their processes.

John K: They may want us to give them stuff and then we'll review it. That may be their process.

Jennie: I think based on some of the feedback that Julie gave earlier, I think there is some question on the COGA taskforce on the best way to proceed.
... Even just opening a dialogue, it's always handy to have a workflow document

<kirkwood> +1

Jennie: Other thoughts or concerns about the proposed way of moving forward?
... Other KPIs in this time period: Add new patterns, user needs, and personas to working draft of Content Usable based on Stage 1 work

Julie asked if there is a minimum number of additions to meet this KPI?

Jennie: It looks like we might have at least 3 additions from Community group's Stage 1 work. Is there a minimum for Mental Health?
... Maybe we could change KPI to say 6 patterns as a way to quantify it

<Fazio> no

Julie asked if 6 months to draft 6 patterns is realistic

David said no

<kirkwood> agree with Fazio

Jennie: Adding a note saying that specific number of patterns needs to discussed at next meeting
... It also depends on how many things we're doing at the same time

<Fazio> personas possible patterns no

Jennie: thank you for joining

<Jennie> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Scribing_Commands_and_Related_Info

Jennie: No subgroup meeting today

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.200 (CVS log)
$Date: 2022/04/21 15:02:20 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision VERSION of 2020-12-31
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: ShawnT, Jennie, Present, Rashmi, JohnRochford, Fazio, kirkwood, Rachael, Jan, julierawe_, mbgower, julierawe, Becca_Monteleone, JustineP, Le, krisanne, david-swallow
Present: ShawnT, Jennie, Present, Rashmi, JohnRochford, Fazio, kirkwood, Rachael, Jan, julierawe_, mbgower, julierawe, Becca_Monteleone, JustineP, Le, krisanne, david-swallow
Regrets: Lisa, Rain, EA, Albert
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: julierawe
Found Scribe: Julie
Found Date: 21 Apr 2022
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]