Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

16 February 2022


irfan, janina, Matthew_Atkinson, mike_beganyi, PaulG, Roy
Becky, David Fazio, David Swallow, Fredrik, Gottfried, Jonny

Meeting minutes

Agenda Review & Announcements

Matthew_Atkinson: welcome Roy! Our new staff contact for APA.

Matthew_Atkinson: Michael will join to help with the transition.

<Matthew_Atkinson> List of minutes: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/minutes

Matthew_Atkinson: this page allows you to access the minutes for APA

Matthew_Atkinson: the plan is to add search to the page

janina: this will also help get our minutes indexed by search engines

TPAC (12-16 September) Planning

Matthew_Atkinson: this will be a hybrid event physically in Vancouver, BC

Matthew_Atkinson: reminder to our task forces to think about this and help plan for event capacity

janina: we need information about capacity planning within the next couple of weeks

Accessibility Maturity Model https://w3c.github.io/wcag-maturity-model/index.html

Matthew_Atkinson: there are several of these. This is an effort to create a standardized one.

Matthew_Atkinson: this work is very new. It was being worked on in AGWG but will be moved. Do we think APA is a good home for this?

janina: I'll just add that with APA's mandate to look across all specs in W3C we have a wider perspective to apply to this work.

janina: it could become a one-stop shop for organizations and institutions to address accessibility including scenarios of mergers and acquisitions.

I've reviewed some of these outside documents you mentioned. I second the idea to bring this work forward from W3C and add it to this group's concerns.

janina: it's a long-term project and we're not sure how we'll organize it but we'll take this to a CfC which we can start next week.

Task Force Actions & Deliverables Updates

Matthew_Atkinson: from personalization, I'm still working on the rendering outputs for the extension. I don't think it's going to be a blocker, it's just taking a bit longer. When done, we'll send it to the chairs.

Matthew_Atkinson: we've also had some interest for recommendations from our proposed markup.


irfan: I spoke to Mark yesterday. We are creating the response for ARIA WG based on our conversations. Hopefully by our meeting next week, we'll have this ready.

irfan: I'm also working on some examples. Thanks to Matthew for your help. If you have any additional language examples, I'll get them incorporated.

Matthew_Atkinson: I have friends who are accessibility consultants and copy editors who can provide good examples.

janina: we're taking the ARIA WG feedback very seriously. We're analyzing our approach and looking for the best way forward.


janina: we're bringing the SAUR to the table for APA approval.

janina: we don't know if we're going to joint-publish with timed text. The editing work is nearly done. It will come to a CfC relatively soon as an updated working draft.

janina: the natural language interfaces document with work from Mitre, a long-time partner.



janina: we're advancing their work statement. There will be a meeting tomorrow with more info coming.

FAST Update

Joshue108: we talked about errors and error recovery and we've also made some progress on personalization

Joshue108: we'll only have one meeting next week so it may not be on the agenda in APA next week

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

Matthew_Atkinson: nothing new on TR

janina: I'm trying to make sure we apply our process judiciously

A11y Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

Matthew_Atkinson: Michael said there's still a WoT issue to review

MichaelC: there are two HTML issues flagged to our attention

MichaelC: explicit display: none and how it relates to axTree

MichaelC: we'll mark it as tracking

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Matthew_Atkinson: we've addressed the WoT issues and nothing new there.

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

janina: I have https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2317

janina: it reads as normative but it's marked as informative. I think we need agreement on the document's recommendation level and the language used.

janina: I'm passing it back to you, Roy

Roy: I can talk to the group and confirm with them tomorrow and give you an update next week

Dangling Spec Review Cleanup: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Category:Spec_Review_Assigned

Matthew_Atkinson: this was potentially another Michael thing. I'm not sure how much we can do with this, today.

janina: no reason we can't end early

Other Business

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 185 (Thu Dec 2 18:51:55 2021 UTC).


Succeeded: s/topic: COGA//

Maybe present: Joshue108, MichaelC