Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

05 January 2022


janina, jasonjgw, SteveNoble

Meeting minutes

Inaccessibility of CAPTCHA.

JW: To be deferred till Scott gets back

JW: Public working draft published

We have comments by John Rochford related to honeypots


JW: John also referred to new SC in WCAG 2.2 on accessible authentication


JW: I've responded

JW: Final point is around conversations on what our conclusions should be in revised CAPTCHA note

We should continue via email when Scott is available

Did I miss anything

JS: You didn't miss anything, but I suggest you merge your changes on the honey pots - and that we do not point to the new SC, as WCAG 2.2 is not yet a CR.

I'm surprised how we did not address the automated part of CAPTCHA.

We use the term interactive 5 times, before we mention automation

We need to rectify that.

JS: Our goal is to kill CAPTCHA

We have a basis, a la Cloudflare implementation etc - to move the burden of authentication off the user etc

<Riffs on surprise a la missing automation>

JW: Reflects on original paper on CAPTCHA proposal

JS: Would like to find that - we need to address this.

JS: Janina has proposed shifting the burden of responsibility etc

Multiple mechanisms to prove humanity would be a good thing

JW: We can pick this up on next week

<jasonjgw> Josh: we should note the "completely automated" point but not emphasize it too much.

JW: It will be interesting to look back at the original paper and concept

JW: I'll merge changes on the honeypot section

JS: Would like to get John Rochford involved in discussion here.

JW: Will continue dialog via email.

Final thoughts?

JW: Congrats to all

Synchronization Accessibility User Requirements.

JW: Steve had proposed some changes and is still working on that. Any update?

SN: We are down to just five issues in GH

SN: This is the most substantial issue IMO SAUR Subtitle/Caption synchronisation #248


I need to word smith on this section - Nigel is away at the mo, and I want to run a new version by him to address his concerns.

Most of the other issues are pretty minor and can be closed

SN: This can be closed https://github.com/w3c/apa/issues/229

Claims about ASR accuracy #229

SN: This can also be closed Are there synchronization-related needs specific to XR/immersive environments that should be addressed? #211


JW: We haven't gotten any comments on this yet.

JS: Do we know if the Immersive Captions group is aware of this?

JOC: I can ping the list and ask them.

JS: ok

JS: We want Nigel to be happy with this doc

SN: Indeed

JW: The only other issue is if we want summary, or conclusions with advice for implementors

We can address this before next draft

JW: Lets revisit

SN: In two weeks would be good

JW: Other suggestions?

SN: What about the biblio?

JW: Done now, Josh did a lot of work on it

I've also added

If Steve can review?

JW: I can merge it, will make it easier to review

Small editorial changes needed

JW: Anyone object to me merging?

SN: What formats are used in W3C?

JW: They use that format used for citing specs, and isn't a proper Bibliography format.

JW: We should see another draft, then that will be it before transition to publication

JS: I think we will get to this before some other docs, should we ask Timed Text if they would like to publish this jointly.

Also if it is valuable enough to be a W3C statement?

JW: Agreed.

JS: Hopefully ready by Feb

Accessibility of remote Meetings.

JW: I suggest we wait till Scott is back

He does want to respond to open issues


JS: I'm making sure we are addressing COGA comments

JW: We got good comments at TPAC, and need to work on these, discuss details etc

JS: We will need to meet with COGA

JW: Also a la Natural Language Interfaces

JW: FInal comments?

Natural Language Interface Accessibility User Requirements.

JW: We have a list of COGA comments

and issue of the new paper that we discussed on Chatbot a11y etc

NAUR issues https://github.com/w3c/apa/labels/NAUR

We will all chip in

<Zakim> Joshue, you wanted to talk about publishing schedule

JOC: I'll walk through the issues on NAUR and report back on what would be a good timeline.

<jasonjgw> Josh will review the issues, including COGA TF comments and report back next week.

JW: We can make a clearer projection of timelines etc after Joshs review

JS: final thoughts?

Miscellaneous topics.

JS: I'm not sure Steve knows, but we have a new co-chair in APA.

Becky has stepped down and W3C have nominated Matthew Tylee Atkinson

JS: I'm very happy

JS: Becky will continue to be involved

JS: Good news

JW: Not much more from me.

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 185 (Thu Dec 2 18:51:55 2021 UTC).


Maybe present: JOC, JS, JW, SN