Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

01 December 2021


jasonjgw, Joshue108_, SteveNoble

Meeting minutes

<Joshue108_> rrsagend, start meeting

Short-term Task Force priorities.

<Joshue108_> JW: Lets discuss priorities

<Joshue108_> FPWD of CAPTCHA is a priority, we can discuss details later

<Joshue108_> Then Media Sync, Remote meetings and NAUR

<Joshue108_> What can we achieve by the end of the year

<Joshue108_> JS: I like that order

<Joshue108_> If we can get CAPTCHA done by the end of the year then thats good.

<Joshue108_> We may not update other working drafts this year - we have only 3 meetings left this year

<Joshue108_> 22nd and 29th off, then back on Jan 5th

<Joshue108_> JW: Sound good?

<Joshue108_> SN: Good for me

<Joshue108_> <egg nog anyone?>

<Joshue108_> JW: We will work as we go

<Joshue108_> JS: COGA is looking at NAUR and A11y of remote meetings

<Joshue108_> In a Goggle doc - they will have to go into Github issues

<Joshue108_> RK: Three things - about meetings.

<Joshue108_> I want to check Judy got interpreter co-ord

<Joshue108_> RK: I've emailed Judy about this.

<Joshue108_> Also we need Judy for MIT engineer disucssion on flash mitigation

Synchronization Accessibility User Requirements.

<SteveNoble> jasonjgw: Progress has been made on planning to address SAUR issues

<Joshue108_> SN: I looked at all the issues in Github - most are minor changes of wording

<Joshue108_> One comment is from the co-author of one of the studies

<Joshue108_> He suggested a discussion between captions for deaf folks and those using other languages

<Joshue108_> He suggested there are different issues - looking into it

<Joshue108_> This is useful as long as it informs the discussion on synchronisation

<Joshue108_> He is suggesting there are related issues.

<Joshue108_> RK: Accessibility is dependent on the audience, when there are first and second language translation / considerations

<Joshue108_> Syncing can be a sticky issue - for natural language captioning guidance, in the US for TV - for kids, they try to keep the word count low < 150 per minute

<Joshue108_> Content is often summarised. Is this a part of the discussion?

<Joshue108_> SN: There are similar constrains when something comes too quickly for the user. I'll have to research these studies, to see what to include.

<Joshue108_> JW: Notes, the disagreements in the literature - various arguments, situations and considerations

<Zakim> janina_, you wanted to ask about time scale modification

<Joshue108_> JS: I'm glad we are having this conversation - I want to note there is another tool in the HTML5 spec, timescale modification

<Joshue108_> Feature in audio books, could be used in video.

<Joshue108_> <Gives example>

<Joshue108_> JW: Notes, tighter synchronisation can be provided.

<Joshue108_> JS: And the caption would stay on screen longer when playback is slowed

<Joshue108_> JW: Is that helpful Steve?

<Joshue108_> SN: Yes

<Joshue108_> SN: I'd like to be able to assign things.

<Joshue108_> JS: Will look into that.

<Joshue108_> <Discussion of accounts a la W3C etc>

<Joshue108_> JW: Docs will be separated into diff repos.

<Joshue108_> JW: Work is going well.

<Joshue108_> JW: We can take it up next week

Accessibility of remote Meetings.

<Joshue108_> JW: Notes, Scott is leading this and was to update us, I'll summarise

<Joshue108_> We have issues in the issue tracker - several come from the break out session at TPAC. I've moved them in, commented etc

<Joshue108_> Those changes need to be approved for merging.

<Joshue108_> I'd like to see more review and confirmation on merging etc

<Joshue108_> We can keep working on them - discuss.

<Joshue108_> JOC: Are you looking for further discussion or just to have them merged?

<Joshue108_> JW: There are some categories, I would like review of some of the proposed changes etc

<Joshue108_> Some dont have solutions - and will need further comments and discussion.

<Joshue108_> JW: Comments? Or put it on the agenda for next week?

<Joshue108_> I'll let Scott know that we should just continue working on them

<Joshue108_> JS: COGA are discussing tomorrow so we will get comments

Natural Language Interface Accessibility User Requirements.

<Joshue108_> JW: This is NAUR

<Joshue108_> The main development here, is that there was a presentation from researchers from the MITRE corp - who published on chatbot a11y

<Joshue108_> This included spoken interfaces, they have useful literature - their paper summarises their findings and aspects of natural language a11y that are difficult to address

<Joshue108_> Useful appendix to the paper - so which issues should we take up and address?

<Joshue108_> JW: I've commented on GH that we are not trying to capture all the issues suggested but we are trying to provide a more thought thru analysis

<Joshue108_> That will inform further development

<Joshue108_> We are trying to distill, and arrive at conclusions

<Joshue108_> JW: You will need access to the journal - so how do we want to respond to the issues?

<Joshue108_> JOC: I dont have access to this library

<Joshue108_> JW: It is a long list of items - we need several people looking them

<Joshue108_> JS: Scott and Raja may have access - maybe Steve.

<Joshue108_> JOC: Between Scott, Raja and Jason - that's a good gang to have a look and feedback

<Joshue108_> RK: I can share.

<Joshue108_> JOC: Thanks Raja!

<Joshue108_> JS: I'll have a look and see if there is a hosted version.

<Joshue108_> <Discussion on papers>

<Joshue108_> JOC: That would be great.

<Joshue108_> JW: I've not noted comments at all on this.

<Joshue108_> JS: There will be from COGA

<Joshue108_> JW: Lets see how we go, final comments?

Revision of CAPTCHA Note.

<Joshue108_> JS: <Gives overview>

<Joshue108_> JS: We have this note from 2019..

<Joshue108_> but jason has done great work, and some new specific tech approaches from Cloudflare - and references to other specs

<Joshue108_> Refs to the economic impact

<Joshue108_> So if RQTF and APA agree, we suggest we publish the editors draft as the FPWD

<Joshue108_> We have some time as we need to work out messaging

<Joshue108_> The last chance to publish is 16th Dec

<Joshue108_> We could even make it by next week

<Joshue108_> We should move to using the additions that Jason created, unless there is any disagreement

<Joshue108_> This group is the first point of contact

<Joshue108_> JW: You want to move the para on economic consequences, but that doesn't have to hold up the draft

<Joshue108_> JS: Am keen to publish a FPWD

<Joshue108_> JW: Suggestions on where it should be would be welcome

<Joshue108_> JS: WFM - as long as the group is ok with these additions, going to to FPWD with changes as an update note

<Joshue108_> JW: <gives overview>

<Joshue108_> 2 substantial changes - anyone uncomfortable with proceeding with these changes?


RESOLUTION: RQTF recommends going to FPWD based on the editors draft https://raw.githack.com/w3c/captcha-accessibility/main/

<Joshue108_> JS: Its great that we are saying you can use W3C tech to not use CAPTCHA anymore.

jgw: Influences what we tell the public--but let's put it into our messaging once APA determines the course

jgw: Summarizes the CfC, noting the only proposed change is incorporation of the two noted edits

<Joshue_108> JS: I'm hoping we can base this on what we did before.

<Joshue_108> JB: Discussion on availability for Shawn

<Joshue_108> JS: I can give her a heads up -

<Joshue_108> JB: Please give a few days lead time

<Joshue_108> JS: We can base it on what we said in the past

<Joshue_108> JS: We have a proposal to use W3C tech so that is the big message

<Joshue_108> JW: The Cloudflare proposal is very interesting

<Joshue_108> We are interested in new developments

<Joshue_108> We want to open it up

<Joshue_108> JS: We need to decide - open for comments until end of Jan

<Joshue_108> JW: Yes, we may have another draft in Feb

<Joshue_108> JW: That ok for all?

<Joshue_108> JS: 28th or so, but we need wide publicity with this draft - that we can kill CAPTCHA

<Joshue_108> JW: WebAuth will need to be involved.

<Joshue_108> JOC: Asks what is needed?

<Joshue_108> JS: Happy for you to do that - we can look at previous messaging and blog posts etc

<Joshue_108> JW: That would be helpful

<Joshue_108> JS: We will need to talk about teh new W3C statement

<Joshue_108> JOC: Lets start a round robin on this

<Joshue_108> JW: Folloing on from APA call - we will know what is happening

<Joshue_108> We can then take a cut from the mail branch

<Joshue_108> JS: I'll update RQTF after APA call.

Miscellaneous topics.

<Joshue_108> JW: Flash mitigation discussion - any update?

<Joshue_108> JB: I've spoken with Boris Katz on this, some schedule checking happening

<Joshue_108> JW: We are planning to not meet in last two weeks in Dec - so it will be either first 3 weeks of Dec or early next year.

<Joshue_108> JB: I'll let them know.

<Joshue_108> JB: Who here has read the research report?

<Joshue_108> What are we hoping for?

<Joshue_108> JW: I've read it

<Joshue_108> <Gives overview>

<Joshue_108> JW: Comments?

<Joshue_108> JS: Do we believe this is an OS thing, or does it need some RFC 2119 language etc

Summary of resolutions

  1. RQTF recommends going to FPWD based on the editors draft https://raw.githack.com/w3c/captcha-accessibility/main/
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 159 (Fri Nov 5 17:37:14 2021 UTC).


Succeeded: s/hear/here

Maybe present: jgw