Spoken Pronunciation Task Force Teleconference

13 October 2021


Alan_, IrfanAli, janina, JF, mhakkinen, PaulG, Roy, Sam, SteveNoble_
Irfan Ali, IrfanAli

Meeting minutes

Agenda Review & Announcements

Github Issues

<PaulG> https://github.com/w3c/pronunciation/issues/98

PaulG: new issue from Makoto- https://github.com/w3c/pronunciation/issues/98

PaulG: this. might be something we need to add in our documentation.

mhakkinen: I wrote a response on this. there is already a mechanism in epub which is w3.

mhakkinen: to tell synthesizer to read it appropriately

PaulG: we may need to look into ePub.

PaulG: the word read and read is the same specification. making a shortcut link in PLS document will be more convenient for authors

mhakkinen: PLS have some limitations

PaulG: this is the limitations what we are looking at.

janina: I think we will be talking about this when we meet ePub. we need a short version to present a reference

mhakkinen: use model steps in why CSS is part of this.

PaulG: will respond to this issue and then we can continue identifying the next step.

PaulG: will read Mark's comment but we need more info from ePub, perhaps some reference form our Gap analysis before we go to this meeting


<PaulG> https://github.com/w3c/pronunciation/issues/99

PaulG: Embedding SSML in HTML seems to violate the Separation of Concerns design principle for HTML. What is the motivation?

PaulG: other part is the node to css speech. we have closed one issue on this open by Dominic

* welcome JF

PaulG: I am responding to Somon on #99

<IrfanAli> s/somon/simon

TPAC preparation

janina: we are not fully scheduled yet. CSS and APA can including pronunciation TF. We will try to add it to our agenda and also ask CSS to add in their agenda.

janina: next wednesday we meet with CSS during the APA time.

janina: next on the agenda related to ePub on Monday the 25th Oct at 10 est. It is second agendum and can come up very quickly.

janina: there will be another meeting with ePub, we are going to talk about use of meta data. this group is welcome to join.

janina: more media shows up on the web so we have more requirements.

janina: looking for better integration with ePUb and silver and other w3 groups.

janina: have been reading schema.org but we are going to research how are we going to normative reference schema

janina: we have a meeting with ARIA but do not have time scheduled yet.

mhakkinen: during web innovation talk, learned about open source publishing platform.

mhakkinen: it is interesting and could be added to the discussion

janina: inter linear publication is very common practice especially for translation from english to Hebrew or such languages

PaulG: we are going to skip next two weeks for this meeting

<janina> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2021

<Roy> https://www.w3.org/2021/10/TPAC/

janina: there is a new virtual management platform called compass zoom. there are some issues but it is being worked out

Other Business

PaulG: news from anyone

PaulG: I have been approved for Access Higher Ground

<JF> Yay!

mhakkinen: during AC meeting yesterday, we had 10 minute slot and we gave the summary of the videos. There was no question. Jeff moved it very quickly.

janina: are these videos on the same page so that it is visible to all.

janina: Roy can follow on this

janina: videos for AC reps.. speech on the web. it is useful to have it available for all w3 members

Roy: after TPAC, they will upload all these videos on TPAC websites.

<mhakkinen> https://www.w3.org/2021/10/TPAC/talk/speech-watson#talk

janina: will follow up after the TPAC which will help people like Simon.

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 136 (Thu May 27 13:50:24 2021 UTC).


Succeeded: s/999/99

Failed: s/somon/simon

No scribenick or scribe found. Guessed: IrfanAli