Silver Task Force & Community Group

01 Oct 2021


Lauriat, sajkaj, ToddLibby, Makoto, Chuck, sarahhorton, JF, jenniferS_, JakeAbma_, Detlev, Jemma


<scribe> scribe: ToddLibby

Subgroup check-in

<Lauriat> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/wiki/Main_Page#Sub_Groups

<sajkaj> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/wiki/Media_Considerations

sajkaj: Discussion Tues in AGWG. Media considerations

Rachael: Sent out WBS

sajkaj: Survey was down for awhile, flagged to Michael

Lauriat: Sees it on the Silver list

<Zakim> Makoto, you wanted to share the updates from Alt Text subgroup

Makoto: Meeting every Tuesday, currently working through SC 1.1.1. to check if they had missed anything

<Makoto> Draft proposal for GitHub issues (AGWG) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1reCEXMskPDvPUpISyu1JwE1wdXVMvuNBxuCaJg_M32k/edit

Makoto: Issues found, would like to make proposal
... Five issues they want to suggest to the techniques document
... Also writing a new document and make proposal about context.
... Will share idea once they are done with document.
... Same image can have text alternative.
... Providing example with logo.
... Will share document once done with it.

<jenniferS_> prsent+

Chuck: Noted down content for future occurence for Makoto to present to AGWG

<jenniferS_> prescient+ ;)

<JF> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/wiki/Protocols#Early_Goals

JF: Protocol subgroup, two meetings. Has wiki page.
... Working on early goals. Defining what a protocol will be.
... Not all protocols will be appropriate, define and find examples of protocols
... Protocols would have impact on UX

sarahhorton: No update, Errors group has paused work for quarter four and will check back in January

jenniferS_: Guidelines being drafted, will have something to review on Monday

Placeholder guidelines and the User Needs Vs. Functional Needs mapping structure

<Lauriat> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aCRXrtmnSSTso-6S_IO9GQ3AKTB4FYt9k92eT_1PWX4/edit#heading=h.20nok4tfj7v5

<Lauriat> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1POhgI_xHZtSoNbHFp3r5HYIkl6ePaP8DC5d90SZ1tF4/edit#gid=1285174152

Lauriat: Go through placeholder guidelines

<Chuck> +1 if descriptive


Lauriat: Presenting documents from links above

Detlev: Will there be user needs, where will there be placed in the document?

Lauriat: Map out surface area of intersections. Tool for us to look at coverage and identify gaps or not so good coverage

Jemma: Why don't we go through one instance to see if it is applicable

<Jemma> I did +1 to Detlev's comments

Lauriat: Will go through Vision and Visual column and then through row

JakeAbma_: guideline may not be applicable to all outcomes. Would mapping make more sense to look at outcomes

<Jemma> I agreed with Detlev's points that it rather add another complexity. however, I hear that Shawn is using this as "gap analysis"

Lauriat: Plug in placeholder guidance into the cells
... Gap analysis would be next step. Expresses user needs that 2.x has
... Can point people to communicate reprioritization of this work

Jemma: Any examples of a gap?

Lauriat: This exercise can make gap analysis more concrete

Detlev: Do we have some initial discussion of kind of format these guidelines should take?

Lauriat: Will come back to "Users can operate content"

JakeAbma_: Go through content using keyboard, AT, quick keys. not being a UI control

<Chuck> agreed, not a direct intersection

Lauriat: Not a direct intersection
... moving on horizontally through document
... No intersection with Hearing and Auditory, re: text alternative

sarahhorton: Any kind of audible content needs alternative text content.

Lauriat: Have another grouping for voice command support
... This need specifically addresses visuals

sarahhorton: this needs to be addressed
... User need is the same in all these contexts

Lauriat: Add note to merge with media
... Sensory Intersections would overlap. Rather than duplicate column and skip. Can always revisit.
... Mobility would not apply
... Similar with Physical and Sensory intersections and speech
... "Attention" column would apply

Detlev: two different needs belong together? Keep things separate from the start for managability

Lauriat: we can definitely revisit and will add comment on whether this should remain
... Reading document aloud

sajkaj: Detlev is correct. Same alt text may not serve need that may serve screen reader user

Jemma: Customization is same as personalization here?

sajkaj: Yes, to Jemma's question

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.200 (CVS log)
$Date: 2021/10/01 15:03:00 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision VERSION of 2020-12-31
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/commentgs/comments/
Default Present: Lauriat, sajkaj, ToddLibby, Makoto, Chuck, sarahhorton, JF, jenniferS_, JakeAbma_, Detlev, Jemma
Present: Lauriat, sajkaj, ToddLibby, Makoto, Chuck, sarahhorton, JF, jenniferS_, JakeAbma_, Detlev, Jemma
Found Scribe: ToddLibby
Inferring ScribeNick: ToddLibby

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

WARNING: No date found!  Assuming today.  (Hint: Specify
the W3C IRC log URL, and the date will be determined from that.)
Or specify the date like this:
<dbooth> Date: 12 Sep 2002

People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]